Carb Cycling

Options
liwaroman
liwaroman Posts: 20 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Chris & Heidi Powell well known fitness experts on extreme weightloss prescribe the carb cycling plan to lose weight.

I got The recipes and meals from their app and it looks like

2 days low carb( about 1100 calories) then a
1 high carb day ( 1700 calories) then again
2 low carb days ( 1100 calories) and
1 high carb ( 1700 calories).
The 7th day is cheat day.

Have you tried something like this and what were your results? Check out my diary to stay plugged in.

Replies

• liwaroman
    Options
    :smiley:
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    As long as my cheat day was under 13,000 or so, I'd lose weight regardless of the carbs.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Whats the point? a 3-day cycle and a weekly cheat day? Does the cheat day have rules? Is there a workout plan attached?

I've done carb/calorie cycling with pretty good results, but each day had a purpose and a specific exercise plan. A 3 day cycle seems too short for your body to effectively switch from anabolic to catabolic and back. A one day "carb load" seems pretty inefficient too.

My point, yeah, you can do that and lose weight I'm sure, but it seems like a lot of work without any real benefit to just eating a consistent net intake. The "blank check" cheat day is scary as well.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I've never quite understood cheat days. Nor carb cycling, tbh.
    Nor eating all those packaged meals and drinking all those shakes, as you're doing.
    Hope it works well for you. FOR THE LONG RUN.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    Whats the point? a 3-day cycle and a weekly cheat day? Does the cheat day have rules? Is there a workout plan attached?

I've done carb/calorie cycling with pretty good results, but each day had a purpose and a specific exercise plan. A 3 day cycle seems too short for your body to effectively switch from anabolic to catabolic and back. A one day "carb load" seems pretty inefficient too.

My point, yeah, you can do that and lose weight I'm sure, but it seems like a lot of work without any real benefit to just eating a consistent net intake. The "blank check" cheat day is scary as well.[/quote]

I agree with this. I don't subscribe to the "cheat day" philosophy. To each their own, of course. I'm low carb and it works for me, but this just seems over complicated. Or maybe I'm just lazy? Yep, pretty sure that's it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Seems like a lot of hassle to achieve your calorie defecit
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    I will admit - carb cycling can be helpful for performance gains. Going low carb for a period of 4 days or more and doing glycogen depletion style exercise is great for burning fat and prepping you for a carb load. BUT you have to know what you are doing and do things for a purpose - not just because it seems like a good idea.

In general, I'm all for taking the simplest path that gets results. Most people are not really at the fitness level that requires you to go to the extremes of glycogen depletion and carb cycling.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    For most purposes carb cycling is essentially just spinning your wheels. It's not going to cause extra fat burn. Fat burn is going to be about total calories in vs total calories out. Manipulation of daily calories doesn't make a big difference in the overall energy equation. Also a cheat day makes very little sense. If you eat enough, you can wipe out the entire week's deficit. Also the calorie numbers, are those for anyone? Calories should be personalized based on height, weight, gender, and goals. 1 size fits all diet plans are woefully flawed IMO.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    @vismal awesome new av
  • vismal
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    @vismal awesome new av
    Why thank you!

• liwaroman
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    For most purposes carb cycling is essentially just spinning your wheels. It's not going to cause extra fat burn. Fat burn is going to be about total calories in vs total calories out. Manipulation of daily calories doesn't make a big difference in the overall energy equation. Also a cheat day makes very little sense. If you eat enough, you can wipe out the entire week's deficit. Also the calorie numbers, are those for anyone? Calories should be personalized based on height, weight, gender, and goals. 1 size fits all diet plans are woefully flawed IMO.

How do you set personalized calorie intakes for weight and height?
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    liwaroman wrote: »

You COULD use myfitnesspal... since we are here. ;-)

Otherwise I find that Scooby's does a good job: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Or if you are really into math and science you can look up the equations.
  • vismal
    Options

I don't know how you'd do it for a carb cycling plan. Again, I've never seen any research showing carb cycling to do anything at all so I'm not to sure. As for just setting a regular old caloric deficit, there are a number of ways to do it. It depends if you will be logging and eating back exercise calories or want to use a method where exercise is accounted for already and you eat a consistent number of calories every day.

• liwaroman
    Options
    @vismal @GauchoMark Yes exactly i want to figure out what formula and equation myfitness pal uses and do you think its accurate to your plans. It doen't necessarily have to be compatible with carb cycling because i just want to be able to give some kind of suggestions to others and not just refer them to the app. I'm down for a math challenge
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    Well, the equations give you a way to estimate BMR or RMR. Once you know that, you can figure out your TDEE based on activity level. The equations are different models with varying accuracies, but I prefer the Katch-McArdle equation. It estimates RMR based on muscle mass and isn't gender specific. If you don't have a good way to get body fat percentage, then the Mifflin St Jeor equation is a good one.

Since you are logging on MFP, I prefer to simply use a sedentary activity factor of 1.2 (multiply with BMR to get TDEE) and then log activities separately. This way you don't give yourself too much credit for exercise.

As for carb cycling, if you REALLY want to do it, I would suggest reading some of Lyle McDonald's books on the subject so you really know how to set it up, why you are doing it, and the science behind it.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Well, the equations give you a way to estimate BMR or RMR. Once you know that, you can figure out your TDEE based on activity level. The equations are different models with varying accuracies, but I prefer the Katch-McArdle equation. It estimates RMR based on muscle mass and isn't gender specific. If you don't have a good way to get body fat percentage, then the Mifflin St Jeor equation is a good one.

Since you are logging on MFP, I prefer to simply use a sedentary activity factor of 1.2 (multiply with BMR to get TDEE) and then log activities separately. This way you don't give yourself too much credit for exercise.

As for carb cycling, if you REALLY want to do it, I would suggest reading some of Lyle McDonald's books on the subject so you really know how to set it up, why you are doing it, and the science behind it.

You either need a tan or a shirt :smile:
  • liwaroman
    Options
    @GauchoMark I'm still a Nube with this can you please explain BMR RMR and TDEE. Thank you
  • GauchoMark
    Options

You either need a tan or a shirt :smile:

That pic better? ;)
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    @GauchoMark I'm still a Nube with this can you please explain BMR RMR and TDEE. Thank you

BMR is Basal Metabolic Rate. Basically, the energy your body spends to be alive, but not to move. Think organ function.

RMR is Resting Metabolic Rate. Very similar to BMR, but would be as if you are in a coma. Organ function plus breathing, but still not "moving"

TDEE is the Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This is your total calorie burn and is the one that really matters as far as weight loss goes. However, it is estimated based on BMR/RMR. To estimate TDEE, you calculate BMR or RMR then multiply it by an activity factor.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Or you calculate TDEE based on weight changes given particular calorie intakes, which, though with its own uncertainties, seems better to me than generic formulas and BMR estimates.