Calorie calculation question

Options
ItsmeDili
ItsmeDili Posts: 18 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone, hope you can help me with this! I have been using starva app to calculate my walking distance but using iPhone step calculator to automatically sync my calories to MFP.. Today I did 5.1 km in 54 mins and the total calorie calculated through iPhone/ MFP was 248 but Strava app suggests 491 calories... Which one do you think is correct? At the moment I have used the 248 so I am within my calorie consumption... But would like to know!

Thanks all :)
Dili pt1hhf3rtugo.jpg

Replies

• awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I rarely ever use an app to give me my calories for exercise. I wear a watch that also is a heart rate monitor to give me the most accurate calories burned. I've seen mine vary between my actual HR to what the app says. It would really depend on how your heart was working during your walk. Hopefully others could shed light on your question. But I do suggest getting a device that would give you a more accurate HR to get your calorie count.
  • ItsmeDili
    Options
    Thanks a lot for your response! Never actually considered monitoring the HR..will need to invest in a watch as I do want to know as a rough guidance but didn't expect it to be this different!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

For a 200 pound person walking 3.2 miles the net burn is about 196 calories.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Between the two rough estimates... I pick the 248.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    awolf2011 wrote: »
    I rarely ever use an app to give me my calories for exercise. I wear a watch that also is a heart rate monitor to give me the most accurate calories burned. I've seen mine vary between my actual HR to what the app says. It would really depend on how your heart was working during your walk. Hopefully others could shed light on your question. But I do suggest getting a device that would give you a more accurate HR to get your calorie count.

HRMs are only useful for a narrow band of activities. Low intensity activities such as walking don't generally enter the range of effort where HRMs approach accurate caloric estimations.
  • ItsmeDili
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

For a 200 pound person walking 3.2 miles the net burn is about 196 calories.

Thanks so much for this!!! ☺️
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

No it won't unfortunately .. HR is useless for non-steady state intense cardio

But there are pedometers like fitbit / garmin etc that are pretty decent activity monitors

(I'd say around 200 calories maximum judging by my burns)
  • ItsmeDili
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

No it won't unfortunately .. HR is useless for non-steady state intense cardio

But there are pedometers like fitbit / garmin etc that are pretty decent activity monitors

(I'd say around 200 calories maximum judging by my burns)

Thanks rabbitjb! I enjoy walking but it's a shame it doesn't burn as much as other exercises!! :neutral:

It's okay... May be I'll take it slow & steady!