protein!!!

Options
I have just realized that I don't eat anywhere near enough protein a day, I have been eating 1200 cals a day plan for about 18 months and have just joined this site for support.

I have been suffering mouth ulcers, hair loss and dry skin since I started losing the weight (have lost 50 pounds)

I wrote on here yesterday and some of you suggested I should eat more protein. I have decided following 1200 is to low as I run 3K most days, I have increased my calories to 1500 a day, but how much of these calories should be protein

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    you should only be getting 40-60 grams of protein a day.

i dont know about your hair falling out or mouth ulcers..that seems more like a medical condition. perhaps some inflammatory problem..like lupus
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I work on 1 to 1.5g of protein for every kg of bodyweight ...... the higher end if you are working out in the gym (especialy lifting weights) I got this from The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler, but there are other sources out there giving similar advice....
  • infosynth
    infosynth Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I work on 1 to 1.5g of protein for every kg of bodyweight ...... the higher end if you are working out in the gym (especialy lifting weights) I got this from The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler, but there are other sources out there giving similar advice....

Note that for those of us who use lbs instead of kg for weight, this means you should eat approximately 1/2 (one-half) your body weight in lbs. in grams of protein. If you weigh 220 lbs (about 100kg), try for 100g protein per day.

1 kg = ~2.2 lbs
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Hair loss can occur if you're anaemic.....

Have you had blood tests done to check your iron levels?

I was anaemic last year (and my hair was falling out) - my doctor prescribed (200mg) iron tablets

Not sure about the mouth ulcers though, probably some other vitamin deficiency....?