ADHD Meets Weight Loss

Options
wendyloucotter
wendyloucotter Posts: 3 Member
Hi all, I'm just getting back into myfitnesspal after a couple of years hiatus. I'm doing a food program now that is helping get some weight off, but transitioning to making my own meals in a couple of weeks. The goal is 300 calorie meals, and 2 - 150 calorie snacks a day. What's important though is 45% carbs, 30% protein and 25% fat. As my title says, I had ADHD which makes planning, researching, scheduling, etc. etc. really difficult! Would love some ideas on balanced snacks and meals that you enjoy, while keeping in that caloric and nutrition breakdown. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• cairnsmom
    cairnsmom Posts: 93 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I am not "kitchen creative"; don't enjoy cooking or meal prep. This is a great lunch/dinner meal but could be a snack with a few adjustments. Of course, this is my own combination; you may prefer different ingredients. I will leave it to you to determine if it fits in your fat/carb/protein goals. :smiley:

Avocado Lettuce Wraps

Oscar Mayer Selects - Applewood Smoked Turkey Breast (No Artificial Flavor, Ingredients, Msg, or Hormones), 56 g ( 2 oz./About 6 Slices) (or any kind of meat or fish)0
    Romaine Lettuce - Lettuce 4 leaf outer (28g)
    Fresh Medium - Hass Avocado, 50 g
    Italiano Rose - Mango Salsa, 1 tbsp
    Celery, 1/4 c or so, chopped to your preferred consistency
    broccoli, 1/4 c or so, chopped to your preferred consistency
    seedless cucumber, 1/4 c or so, chopped to your preferred consistency
    grape tomatoes (6), quartered
    *Sometimes I add 9 grams shredded cheese.
    *Sometimes I add red, yellow, orange bell pepper.
    *Sometimes I have a serving of corn tortilla chips, but that will add about 140 cal.

Wash, dry, and set the lettuce leaves to the side.
    Mix all other ingredients to, you got it, your desired consistency.
    Spread fairly even amounts on each leaf.
    Roll/fold each leaf kind of like a burrito, and savor the goodness.

*Note** It can be messy.

Calories should run between 250-300 calories, obviously depending on your own measurements.

Best wishes~

• jakedner
    jakedner Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I empathize with you. I am ADHD too and struggle to follow thru on all my plans for meal planning and prep as well as exercise. I'm interested in everyone's suggestions.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the breakdowns but I have bad adhd. I stick to the same meals almost every day and mix it up by changing to two or three things. I eat what I like but this I can manage. I cannot manage changing it severely every day and planning, prep etc.

Breakfast every day: Old fashioned oats 30g, with psyllium husk (thickens it) and fruit like half banana and blueberries.

Lunch. Yukon gold potato, sliced raw tomato, cooked spinach, half can salmon and 2 fried eggs. Or other protein.

Dinner. Almost the same-add big salad and alternate protein (turkey burger, chicken breast). Sometimes I will stirfry zukes and spinach with bit of soy sauce and add 1/2c rice...

I'm quite boring with it but it works for my brain haha
  • meadowlark42
    meadowlark42 Posts: 23 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I am ADD too (no H, for which I am greatful). I have found that setting a time in the evening (9:30-10 for me) and prepping all my food for the next day really, really helps. I set a reminder on my phone to go do it. Breakfast is usually a yogurt and coffee for me, sometimes overnight oats. Lunch - I make bento lunches, check out the bento thread in this section. Having several small portions of different things keeps my interest and satisfies me more. It'll usually be a combination of leftovers from dinner, fresh veg and fruit cut up and portion controlled snacks. I'll also use this time to plan out tomorrow's dinner if it is my night to cook (I swap off with my husband), make my shopping list and do any prep or start marinades. Having a set time, with a reminder beep, really helps me keep it all together, it almost becomes a meditative exercise. Hope this helps!
  • bbontheb
    Options
    ADD falls under the acronym ADHD now as it's more of a spectrum disorder. You can have inattentive, hyperactive or combined type however...regardless, all the struggles are the same I think..
  • meadowlark42
    meadowlark42 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Good to know. I haven't really kept up with the developments since I was diagnosed back in college. My biggest problems are focus/distraction :)
  • parmoute
    parmoute Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Eating the same thing all week helps a lot when I'm busy, but it can also get boring quickly. Here are a few of the meals that I use to keep my protein up. These are things I'm generally willing to eat repeatedly, at least for a little while, and they're very easy to prepare.

- Spinach & Mozzarella Ravioli (I get Pasta Prima from Costco)
    - Pineapple Chicken Quinoa Salad (recipe on Good Life Eats; travels well)
    - smoothies (which I mostly try to make from fresh ingredients but I also keep some protein drinks in the house to use as a base if I'm feeling lazy or am in a hurry)
    - a cup of Greek yogurt mixed with cereal (if you get good quality cereal, like Kashi brand, it is deceptively filling for the calories)
    - multigrain waffles and turkey burger (use the waffles instead of a bun with just a touch of syrup on the burger; half a sandwich might fit your meal sizes better)

I think the most important suggestion I can make is to have a backup plan. I'm hyperactive and inattentive, so even when I do take the time to plan my meals, it doesn't always work (I forget to go to the store, forget something at the store, get distracted and forget to actually cook, buy ingredients and 2 days later can't remember what I intended to make...). Currently, Zone Perfect protein bars are my breakfast backup and a bag of ravioli in the freezer covers dinner. I also have an index card taped inside one of a kitchen cabinets to remind me of what I planned on eating for the week, including my available snacks and backups. It's not a meal-by-meal menu, just a list of options, but it helps reduces the amount of food I throw away because I forgot all about it.

Someone else mentioned exercise: if I don't do it first thing in the morning, it basically doesn't happen. Once I'm engaged in a project for the day, it's very difficult to make myself stop for a workout (the downside of "hyperfocus"). Unfortunately, lately it's been difficult to stop for food too because it feels like an interruption to whatever I'm doing. I think that's why the notecard is working: I don't have to stop to think about food, just pick something off the list and eat. Now if only I had such an elegant solution for the rest of my organizational issues :smile:
  • AlyM725
    AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I have OCD so I plan eh-verything. But I had a had time figuring out what to make food wise, until a friend sent me this. Its a clean eating challenge and it has 2 weeks of 3 meals and two snacks, and it kind of inspired me to know what to look for in a recipe. There is also one for last year and this one. I also spend a lot of time at Skinnytaste.

I also have one suggestion for you that I use to help stay organized. Create a Pinterest board for your healthy meals, and when ever you come across a recipe you'd like to try, pin it. Then when its time to plan, just look through the pinterest board and pick a few recipes. If you dont like something, you can always unpin it.

One thing I also like to do is make two servings of a recipe and put one in the fridge for tomorrows lunch or dinner. I hope this helps you a bit to get you on the right path!
  • bbontheb
    Options
    I really want to try that pineapple chicken quinoa salad!