Marathon training - how much time?

Options
I signed up for a full, though I have the option to drop to the half. I can run a half in just under 2.5 hours.

Today is June 30th . . . following a schedule of 2 short runs/1 long run each week and cross training, is a full by mid-October a realistic expectation?

Thanks!

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    1. How many miles per week are you running right now? Generally, you want to be putting in at *least* 15-25 before starting a marathon program.

2. You're what, 15 weeks out? 16? The only three-running-days/week marathon training plan I know about is FIRST, which is an 18 week program. If you're already putting in the mileage of week 3, you could jump in, I guess. But keep in mind the "short" runs are NOT EASY. If you're not already doing intervals/speedwork, it could be pretty tough. http://www.wu.ece.ufl.edu/marathon training-first marathon.pdf

3. I really, really, really cannot emphasize enough how much I would recommend adding a fourth *run* to your week. People do have success with FIRST, but especially as a 5+ hour marathoner, TIME ON YOUR FEET is going to be the issue. More is better.
    Higdon Novice 1 is a great example of a basic 4 run/week program. Again, it's 18 weeks, but if you're already putting in solid base mileage, you could jump in.

If you're doubtful about your fitness/ability to get there, consider a run/walk plan like Galloway! Or, heck, just run until you can't and then walk. (But run down the finishing chute; that's where the photographers are. o:) )

October is a great month to run a marathon!
  • fenwayc1
    fenwayc1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think it is very possible. I've done 4 marathons, 1 an ultra and I almost always have only run 3 days a week. I do a spin class once a week, which I think is comparable to doing a 4th run. If you are already at half marathon level, then it shouldn't be a problem to jump into week 2 or 3 of an 18 week program like the above poster mentioned.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I would second the suggestion to add a 4th day of running to the schedule, or else your long runs could be upwards of 2/3s of your mileage and that puts you in dangerous territory when it comes to injury. How long are the "short" runs during the rest of the week? You'd want those short runs to be 5, 6 or more miles to even begin to even out 15+ mile long runs if you're only doing 3 runs total each week. Most marathon training plans are going to be 30-40 mile weeks at their peak to get you trained for the distance as well as time on your feet, and I don't know how one can do that with 3 runs per week. But if you're cross-training rigorously, I'm sure you can make up some of that time/fitness.

If you are relatively fresh off your half marathon, you could train by October. Just make sure the marathon has a generous cut-off time. If your HM time is around 2.5 hours, you're looking at probably closer to 5.5 hours for a full. Most races cut-off at 6 or 7 hours, but some get over-eager and cut-off at 5.
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The only training programs I've used were 16 weeks, and involved up to 5 or 6 runs per week for a (though the speed work ones were short, and only one run per week was considered a "long" run). Be careful, don't injure yourself, and come up with a race plan that is realistic for your activity/health level. Remember that if your half-marathon time is 2:30, your full marathon time is likely to be closer to 5:30 or a little more, so check cut-off times.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    rrcoffey wrote: »
    Today is June 30th . . . following a schedule of 2 short runs/1 long run each week and cross training, is a full by mid-October a realistic expectation?

Depends on your objectives really, although I'd support the idea of a fourth day. The main rationale is to keep the proportionality of your long run in comparison to your other runs. Ideally 20-25% of weekly volume in the long run, at a push 30%. So if you're doing three runs, you don't have any choice, if you're doing four then you have some flexibility.

Notwithstanding that, what does success look like for you?

Personally I'm aiming to improve my HM time to the extent that I'm not looking at a 5 hour marathon before I do one, but if you're happy with that then it's likely to be do-able. My HM time is 2:07 at the moment, so I've deferred until next year when I'm hoping to get down to about 1:55.

• rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback!

My half was 6 weeks ago. I was up to 18 miles/week just prior to that. I worked through a slight hip injury and decided to take time off after the race . . . I took a full 2 weeks off (of running, still did spin and lifting) and have been doing less than 10 miles/week since. But, I'm healed and ready to ramp back up :)

I would have to drop another aspect of my routine to accommodate a 4th run, but it could be done.

I couldn't find any official info on cut off times, but looking at results from previous years, it looks like 7 hours. So, I'm ok there.

What does success look like to me? That's a great perspective :) I train for endurance more than speed. I want to be able to RUN more than 90% of it and live to tell about it - LOL!

Thanks again for the links and advice. I'll do some reading to see what plan might work best for me. Even if the full doesn't work out, I'll be ready for the half!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback!

My half was 6 weeks ago. I was up to 18 miles/week just prior to that. I worked through a slight hip injury and decided to take time off after the race . . . I took a full 2 weeks off (of running, still did spin and lifting) and have been doing less than 10 miles/week since. But, I'm healed and ready to ramp back up :)

I would have to drop another aspect of my routine to accommodate a 4th run, but it could be done.

I couldn't find any official info on cut off times, but looking at results from previous years, it looks like 7 hours. So, I'm ok there.

What does success look like to me? That's a great perspective :) I train for endurance more than speed. I want to be able to RUN more than 90% of it and live to tell about it - LOL!

Thanks again for the links and advice. I'll do some reading to see what plan might work best for me. Even if the full doesn't work out, I'll be ready for the half!

With your 1/2 training already in the bag and 1/2 completed, with 12 weeks for training ahead of you - yes, that's plenty of time to prepare for a full from your current base. Plenty of training plans available to get you there in good form for your goals. A long weekend run with gradual increase in distance each week with a good two weeks taper leading into the event would be easy for you to accomplish from this point.

My first ever marathon, I did my final long training run too close to the event. I finished the event, but not in an ideal fashion and learned from that mistake for future events. My bad at the time, but that was so many years ago (before internet) and information was not as easy to come by as it is today.

Good luck.

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    look at http://www.halhigdon.com/ for training plans.

but personally, i would say that with how you are currently prepared, you can probably do the marathon in about 5+ hours.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Last summer I started training in July and ran a full in the first week of October so it's definitely possible.
    However I'd increase the number of days/week that you're running to about 5. Something like 2 short runs (3-5 miles), 2 intermediate runs (5-10) and 1 long run (10+) each week.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I signed up for a full, though I have the option to drop to the half. I can run a half in just under 2.5 hours.

Thanks!

I haven't read the rest of the thread but personally I wouldn't attempt a full running only three days a week. The required volume is just too much. You are looking at a 6+ hour marathon time based on a 2.5hr half and your stated training. A 4th run in the week would be helpful, but 5/week would be much more ideal, if not 6.

A marathon is no joke. It is not "twice a half" other than the distance. It is a much more difficult event.
  • marynificent
    marynificent Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Higdon plans are awesome! I suffered an injury a month out from mine and had to scale back to recuperate, but still managed to run for 16 miles straight before having to take my first walking break! It was an incredible and invigorating experience and one I would love to repeat someday. Good luck!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    A marathon is no joke. It is not "twice a half" other than the distance. It is a much more difficult event.

Was thinking about this the other day. Assume a 200 pound male going for a 4 hour race. That's 26/4 = 6.5 mph. Net burn is 6.5 * .6 * 200 = 780 calories/hour. Assume fuelling (gels etc) at 250 calories/hour which leaves a hole of 500 calories/hour.

Over 4 hours that's a 2000 calorie drain on reserves, which is well above the ~1500 calories worth of glycogen stores. That's not including maintaining BMR, most of which (but not all) can be met from fat stores.

So the only way to avoid hitting the dreaded wall is to either slow down, or slim down. At 6 hour pace, the hourly deficit is down to ~250 calories, which gets you in ahead of the wall. Similarly, getting down to 150 pounds will do it, too.

None of this is directed at the OP - just riffing off the the "not twice a half" comment.
  • glevinso
    Options
    I tend to look at it as a 20 mile warmup followed by the most horrible 10k of your life.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

Thanks!

I haven't read the rest of the thread but personally I wouldn't attempt a full running only three days a week. The required volume is just too much. You are looking at a 6+ hour marathon time based on a 2.5hr half and your stated training. A 4th run in the week would be helpful, but 5/week would be much more ideal, if not 6.

very true. you can use this http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/race-times-predictor or http://www.marathonguide.com/fitnesscalcs/predictcalc.cfm to predict about how long it'll take you to do a race based on your times from previous races.

doing a 2:30 half marathon basically translates into a 5:14 full marathon. that is a long time to be out there and running.
  • glevinso
    Options
    doing a 2:30 half marathon basically translates into a 5:14 full marathon. that is a long time to be out there and running.

Assuming proper training... 3 days a week doesn't qualify
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

Assuming proper training... 3 days a week doesn't qualify

true. even hal higdons novice plan calls for four runs a week.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Thanks!

I will echo the, a marathon is not twice the half mentality.

Running becomes very different once you cross past ~20 miles or 2.5 hours on your feet.

Reason being is that you begin to exhaust all of your natural energy reserves in the form of glycogen.
    To make it in a marathon, you have to train your body to rely more on fat reserves while running rather than your stored carbs (glycogen).

This takes proper practice and discipline while you are training. Discipline in knowing what the proper pace to run at so you don't exhaust your glycogen too soon. Learning how to drink water and take in gels (or other sources) while running. Which gels or sports drink or other sources (beans, gu's, food) works best for my body. How much should I take at a time. How can I train my body to increase it's natural glycogen stores (train low / race high)(carb loading).

These are all things you don't normally worry about when training for a 5K, 10K, or even a half. The mararthon is definetely a graduation from lower distances.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of what has already been said about training for a marathon and it being much more difficult than just two half marathons. However, there are different ways to approach a marathon. Most of the advice regarding fueling and training to conserve your glycogen stores centers around the assumption that your are going to be trying to achieve the fastest time possible for your ability. If this is the case, then yes, your definitely need to run more than three times a week.

If you are content just to finish the race, you can get by with less training, but you should know up front that it is going to take you well over 5 hours to finish and you should also probably expect to walk at some points. That's just my two cents, anyway.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first marathon. I had a 20 week training schedule. i ended up having to take a month off of running midway because of a grade II groin strain. I jumped back into traning about 6 weeks to marathon day. I was able to finish strong, ran/jog the whole way with a smile on my face. i finished ahead of my expected time. If you have been training for a 1/2 with three months to go you will be fine. I did run 4 days a aweek in the last month and right before the injury. till then i was only able to fit in three runs a week.