Help I need motivation

Options
What are some of the ways that keep you motivated? I really want to push myself and I love doing fitness classes at the YMCA because they keep me motivated and I don't get bored with them but I really only have time to do them early morning and I have a hard time getting out of bed. I set my alarm, I lay out my clothes, I have everything ready, but I can't seem to get out of bed when that alarm goes off. I was doing great for like 3 months then I just stopped going one morning, then the next etc. Now I have made a goal calendar and set a goal to work out at least 3 days per week and if I do that for a month then I get a new purse. Just still struggling. I told myself that I was going to get up this morning but I didn't. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• krugz22
    krugz22 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Remember how great you feel after the workout and why you're doing it!! Places like this and groups are a huge help for me too! Let's me check in with people, stay motivated, and have to "answer" to somebody! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Actually, motivation is a fleeting emotion...you're never going to be 100% motivated all of the time. You don't need motivation....you need commitment and dedication.

I'm rarely motivated to do the dishes or mow the lawn...yet these things need doing, so I do them.

I will say that is also helps if you do exercise that you actually enjoy...a lot of people force things on themselves that they really don't enjoy and they are miserable for it. You have to do something you like to do so that for the most part you will look forward to doing it...and that gets you through the days you don't feel like doing it.

I love to ride...but there are days when I'm just not feeling it...but I ride anyways because it's Tuesday and I ride on Tuesday, etc. If I hated riding I'd be hard pressed to ride.
  • sannad23
    sannad23 Posts: 10 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    "Actually, motivation is a fleeting emotion...you're never going to be 100% motivated all of the time. You don't need motivation....you need commitment and dedication.

I'm rarely motivated to do the dishes or mow the lawn...yet these things need doing, so I do them."

This is so true!!!!! I never really thought of it that way. I just have to get my mind right.
  • floridamatty
    floridamatty Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Id say for me its routine, routine, routine. Bed at 9pm rise at 4am, before you know it youll be waking up before your alarm and feeling refreshed. Also keep doing what your doing by having everything ready before you go to bed. We all hate getting out of bed but just remember that the only person your persuading to stay in it is yourself
  • sannad23
    sannad23 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I did have a routine and then got out of it. Time to get back into it!
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Actually, motivation is a fleeting emotion...you're never going to be 100% motivated all of the time. You don't need motivation....you need commitment and dedication.

I'm rarely motivated to do the dishes or mow the lawn...yet these things need doing, so I do them.

I will say that is also helps if you do exercise that you actually enjoy...a lot of people force things on themselves that they really don't enjoy and they are miserable for it. You have to do something you like to do so that for the most part you will look forward to doing it...and that gets you through the days you don't feel like doing it.

I love to ride...but there are days when I'm just not feeling it...but I ride anyways because it's Tuesday and I ride on Tuesday, etc. If I hated riding I'd be hard pressed to ride.

This is a really good way to phrase this. I struggle when replying to some folks who are new to the weight loss game and use phrases such as, "I've tried before and failed, but I'm going to do it this time - because now I'm motivated." If they have a lot to lose, the first thing I try to offer is a word of caution that there will be times when that motivation dies and when they're going to want to quit. They can't rely on an emotional high to succeed because they'll end up failing if they do.

This is a super succinct way of putting it (compared to the paragraph I've been typing about the same issue).