Dinner Tonight! (Low Carb ideas please)

Options
keiraev
keiraev Posts: 695 Member
Can anyone recommend me a low carb recipe for something tasty I can cook for Dinner tonight?

I started dieting 3 weeks ago and have lost 4lb - I put this mostly down to religiously logging on MFP but also avoiding carbs after 6pm.

I have eaten loads of fish, meat and vegetables over the past 3 weeks and managed to keep my meals quite varied- but I am now getting a bit stuck for ideas!

If anyone has anything they can suggest please do- I am particularly looking for low carb alternatives for pasta and potatoes.

You can't seem to be able to buy spaghetti squash easily in the UK btw (so annoying!) so that isn't really an option.

Eaten loads of cauliflower variations recently and starting to get a bit fed up with it! :/

Thank you!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    ttp://www.dlife.com/diabetes/diabetic-recipes/ipe
    has recipe section that you can choose by carb, fat, calorie content. Check it out.
  • JulyHummingbird
    JulyHummingbird Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Baked egg in ham cups. Line a muffin tin with good thin sliced ham from the deli. Put a small bit of cheese in the bottom and then break an egg into the 'cup' Bake until done and serve with steamed asparagus. Low carb and delicious.
  • nitaneat
    nitaneat Posts: 5
    Options
    think tacos without the shell. i used ground turkey, cooked with lots of veggies ie onions, celery, mushrooms, peppers, with tomato sauce, all over lettuce. i loved it n felt good about eating it.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I would watch whole eggs. only 2 whole eggs put you way over in Cholesterol. Maybe add 1 whole and egg whites and watch the rest of the day. If you do not track cholesterol put it in and see what your numbers are for the last week or so. I was shocked when I seen it.
  • sam23030
    sam23030 Posts: 76
    Options
    I was cooking dinner for friends and was making mash potato, I took about a table spoon of this and mixed it with mashed carrots, lower carb and calories and the potato just helped to bind it so it wasn't so watery. Perhaps create existing meals with subsitutes like this?
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Just putting this in "my topics" to check out later. Recently I had Allrecipes' Easy Cheesy Zucchini bake, which I believe was pretty low carb (basically just meat, cheese, and zucchini) and super easy. Always on the lookout for low carb dinners!
    -LP
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Baked egg in ham cups. Line a muffin tin with good thin sliced ham from the deli. Put a small bit of cheese in the bottom and then break an egg into the 'cup' Bake until done and serve with steamed asparagus. Low carb and delicious.

mmm, great idea!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Moussaka- made with Aubergine & courgette & lean minced beef/pork or turkey. You do not need to make this a fattening dish with cheese sauce, the authentic topping is made with greek yogurt, eggs & nutmeg- topped with cheese. You can lower the cals by using low fat yoghurt & cheese.

Lean beef stroganoff/ Turkey stroganoff. Fry the meat, add some onions, peppers, mushrooms, paprika, a bit of beef/chicken stock & finish off by adding some low fat creme fraiche or low fat sour cream. Serve with cauli, or broccoli.

Spanish chorizo & chicken stew- Can be made using whole thighs or breast chunks. fry up some chicken, chorizo sausage, mixed peppers, onions, garlic- a splash of white wine, chicken stock, paprika, smoked spanish paprika (goooood), courgette & aubergine, & a wee bit of tomato puree. I usually add butter beans to this- not sure of the carb content though.

Asian style broths/soups- It doesn't have to be complicated. Buy a thai curry paste/soup paste & mix into some veg/chicken stock. Add prawns or chicken & loads of veggies- spring onions, pak choi, broccoli, beansprouts, mushrooms & corriander. very low fat/carb & filling.
  • WhyW8
    WhyW8 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Not sure what constitutes as low, but 2 favorite sites for recipes are SELF.com & BHG.com. (because they give calorie counts etc.)
    At SELF - the Grilled Chicken with Roasted Tomato and Oregano Salsa sounds good (7.8 g carbs) although I haven't tried it yet, The Luscious noodle free lasagna is so good although I go easy on the nutmeg b/c I don't care for it too much in pasta - but its 27.3. carbs..that may be too high? The calories are really low though.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Oh and the holy grail of low cal recipe sites has a low carb recipe section too

http://www.skinnytaste.com/
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    This is a yummy, healthy, low-carb spaghetti--the 'noodles' are made with yellow and green summer squash (zucchini). Use either the author's sauce & meatballs or your own recipe.

http://crossfitelpaso.com/2010/07/23/paleo-spaghetti/

• keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Lovely - thanks guys:flowerforyou: