Cycling to get fitter

Options
joolieb1
joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
i am a beginner and just bought a road bike. I can cycle for 40 mins but need to get off and walk up steep hills! Have a plan to build up my fitness, any tips out there??

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Stick with it and it gets easier as your fitness improves.

Many road bikes only have a double crankset which makes climbing very difficult. All my bikes have a triple crankset for climbing. My favorite day to day bikes are hybrids which have road bike frame geometry with mountain bike gearing.

Tell us more about your bike.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Ride often!

Get yourself some good-quality padded bike shorts and chamois cream (I like Eurostyle Butt'r the best, but test out a few.)

Don't be afraid to invest in a more expensive saddle if you find you just can't get used to the one you've got now.

Wear a helmet that sits properly on your head.

Get a RoadID or take an ID card along with you in case of emergencies--don't trust everything to your phone.

Take a basic bike maintenance class at your local bike shop, or else watch YouTube videos and *practice* in your home. You don't want your first try at changing a flat to be 30 miles from home in the middle of nowhere. :)

+1 to @beemerphile1 - Tell us about your bike!
  • MikeLeTwigg
    MikeLeTwigg Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Great choice. I started cycling to work as part of my fitness/weight loss regime. Go out as often as you can and have fun. The hills get easier over time.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    joolieb1 wrote: »
    i am a beginner and just bought a road bike. I can cycle for 40 mins but need to get off and walk up steep hills! Have a plan to build up my fitness, any tips out there??

Gradually ride more regularly and / or for longer at a comfortable pace for you. You'll get fitter over time.

Don't worry about having to walk hills. Keep trying and eventually you'll be crack it when your fitness improves. Alternatively change the cassette and / or chainset on your bike to make things easier. A decent bike shop should be able to help you.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    The best advice I have for learning to climb is:

1. Don't tell yourself you can't before you try. Look at the hill as a challenge rather than an obstacle.

2. Find someone to ride with who knows how. Listen and watch. Many times local clubs will offer a beginner ride or have a few folks that will gladly take you out for a ride. I'm actually meeting a beginner tomorrow before the club ride to do a 30 min ride with her.

3. Find a small hill to practice on. Try to pick a gear that you think you can climb in before you start the actual climb. This is tricky, so try a few different ones. If the easiest gear is the one you need, use it. If you still don't make it, just try to make it a little further each time. I promise you you'll get there.

4. Don't avoid hills. The only way to get better is to do it. I've never met a hill I can't walk. Sounds silly, but it's true. You aren't going to die, and we've all walked hills. Heck, I ride a lot of hills and I still occasionally miss a shift and end up off my bike.

5. Enjoy the ride. Don't make every ride a hard ride. Work hills, but not exclusively. Some days it's nice just to tool around.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

I was going to say, welcome to the Dutch way of life, but then I saw the hills. We don't have those.
    All I can say is that cycling gets easier the more you do it.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Learn to shift properly and often. Keep your "cadence" (the number of full rotations per minute) fairly equal, so if you're heading up an incline, shift down to make it easier, and keep shifting down--keeping the cadence relatively the same. Try not to just gun it up the hill and pedal harder and harder (and slower and slower), where you end up depleting your glycogen stores in your muscles (that's the point where your quads are screaming and you have to simply stop or get off the bike and walk).

Instead, use every gear you need to, shifting down further to continue to make your pedaling as easy on your legs as possible. You may go so slow as to think you're almost standing still, but pedaling like a fiend...but that's ok. Your muscles won't take as long to be depleted.

And just keep biking. It's an excellent activity to help build endurance and get fitter.

As an aside, in the winter when biking outside may be impossible, if you have access to an exercise bike and/or weights, try learning weighted squats (and break parallel to engage your hams/glutes) and if an exercise bike has cages for the feet, try one-legged pedaling. It helps build the hip adductor (or abductor?? whatever) muscles that help you bring your legs to the top of the pedal rotation. Squats will help with that too; one of the best exercises you can do to help your biking are weighted squats.
  • headwind2015
    headwind2015 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Learn to shift properly and often. Keep your "cadence" (the number of full rotations per minute) fairly equal, so if you're heading up an incline, shift down to make it easier, and keep shifting down--keeping the cadence relatively the same. Try not to just gun it up the hill and pedal harder and harder (and slower and slower), where you end up depleting your glycogen stores in your muscles (that's the point where your quads are screaming and you have to simply stop or get off the bike and walk).

Great advice! I was going to say the same thing. Learning to shift properly will make cycling so much easier and enjoyable.

Remember to pull on the up stroke as you're pedaling. Pulling up will make you're pedal stroke more efficient and help when climbing hills. I often chant to myself "pull, pull, pull,pull..." as I'm climbing. It drives my girlfriend crazy, but I'm winning her over. Every now and then, I catch her chanting the same thing. :smile:

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    just keep cycling...and utilize your gears.
  • webtracer
    webtracer Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Best advice I ever heard for riding (I'm 44, have raced competitively and have been riding a "real" bike since I was about 13) actually came from Lance Armstrong - who despite his doping is probably one of the strongest riders of my generation (best doper of them because they all doped lets face it)

"Just don't stop pedaling"

Good luck and welcome to the club!!!
  • joolieb1
    Options
    Thanks. I have been doing a 5 mile route with moderate hills I can do. Improving on that. Will need to do a longer route this week so will see what I can achieve. Have a suggested 12 week plan I am aiming for which works up to 30 miles
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I'm a relative noob to cycling too.

My husband and I bought bikes from a big box store almost a year ago and quickly got addicted. Last fall we went to a local bike shop and bought better bikes (hybrids). Our fitness has improved hugely.

The hills do get better, especially as you learn to use the gears.

Something we've enjoyed has been finding rail trails. They're disused railroad tracks that have been converted into multi use paths. We go to one here at least once a week. It's a lovely trail mostly through woods and small communities, plus it's nice not to have to worry about cars.
  • joolieb1
    Options
    That's great news. My husband has been riding for 6 months but I was just not interested. I had my trusty shopper in the shed and when I joined map about 3 weeks ago, I thought I would go for a ride on my shopper, built up to doing a 5 mile ride with a couple of small hills which I could manage. I got a tax rebate and so bought myself a hybrid bike last Saturday. Started my plan to build up to 30 mile rides that I got off the Internet to increase my fitness.

So much better on a real bike and I have said I will go out with my husband once I am reasonable (not needing to get off and walk on hills)!

Also do some walking and step aerobics, so turned from a lazy person to someone who is active every day.

How long have u been on map and how r u doing towards ur goal?

Julie
  • kristydi
    Options
    What do you mean "on map"?

Right now we are comfortable doing around 20 miles. 27 is the furthest we've gone. We don't really have a structured plan. When it starts feeling too easy, we push a bit further or faster. We can't push too fast because our 7 year old daughter rides with us. During the week we try to ride 2-3 times in the neighborhood, usually 5 or so moderately hilly miles. When we go to the trail on the weekend we ride about 10 miles, stop for a picnic lunch then ride back.

I've just realised that there's a trailhead very near my daughter's gym where she practices gymnastics. I'm going to start riding by myself during her 3 hour practices so I can start pushing myself a bit harder there.
  • starseedxo
    starseedxo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When it comes to climbing: “It doesn’t get any easier; you just go faster.” —Greg LeMond. Totally true. This is my third season "seriously" cycling. Three years ago, I was excited when I rode 20 miles. Now, a typical weeknight ride is around 30 miles. I'm racing, and loving it. So keep at it. It gets better! I can't even put in words how cycling has impacted my life. I've made some great friends, and have done things on a bicycle I never thought possible. Mountain biking this weekend, I was able to take a super tight "s" curve that I've never been able to do without putting a foot down before. The feeling knowing that I conquered that stupid corner was amazing!
  • joolieb1
    Options
    Sorry it is a typo - shd b MFP
  • Kandersonparker
    Kandersonparker Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! The best thing I ever did was join a local bike club. You'll be safer in numbers, make some great friends & quickly see improvement.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Yup--hill climbing is tough--try being the stoker on a tandem that's towing a Burley!

If you haven't already, invest in clipless pedals and cycling shoes--these will help make your stroke a bit more efficient as you can both push and pull simultaneously. Learn how to shift--for hill-climbing you definitely want to be in a gear where it's very easy to pedal--and you want to get there before the climb becomes tough. Also to note with shifting--you never want to be on the smallest ring up front and the smallest gear in the back nor the largest up front and the largest in the rear--this is not good for your chain. When climbing, avoid the impulse to stand up and pedal--it's less efficient and you will lose momentum. Likewise, leaning heavily from side to side (rocking the bike) as you pedal should also be avoided.

Good luck!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to talk to your local bike shop and look into changing the rear gear cassette to something with more teeth to help with climbing. Use mechanical advantage to help you as much as possible. Gearing that fits your ride makes things a lot more enjoyable.
  • kristydi
    Options
    Sorry it is a typo - shd b MFP

Ahh, that makes more sense.

I've been on MFP for a while. 3 years ago I joined and lost around 25 pounds. Then we were surprised with an unexpected, but not unwanted pregnancy. Our surprise 2nd daughter was born in August of 2012. I got back to MFP sometime last summer. I'm losing weight pretty slowly. Aiming for half a pound a week.