Tell us about the stupid diets you took part in before MFP - We have come a long way baby!

Options
Tell us about the stupid diets and schemes you put yourself through over the years before waking up and facing the realities of calories in/calories out and a sensible lifestyle. I find it motivating to remember that even though I don't yet know it all, I am certainly much more evolved in my thinking than I used to be!

My dieting crimes include:
Wearing plastic wrap and exercising madly
Milkshake diets (two shakes a day, one small meal. I wonder why it worked ey?)
The grape diet (grapes only)
The cabbage soup diet (worked like a bomb - got me bikini skinny. super revolting).

I liked the idea of throwing food up, but I was too grossed out to do it (so never did), but I did once drink shampoo to try to bring up my lunch. All that happened was that I felt very very sick and got very nasty looking runs.

Feel free to add your exercise crimes, if you don't have diet ones ;)

Replies

• patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    The ones which caused me to come here in the first place!
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    All those stupid diets worked - every one! I just didn't grasp at the time that all I was doing was limiting calories.

The plastic wrap? I dunno. Everyone was doing it. *shrugs*
  • floridamatty
    floridamatty Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Atkins, What do you mean no bread?
  • Soopatt
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I did Atkins, back in the 90's. I remember buying full fat cream and adding it to my coffee as milk was not allowed. Greasy puddles floated on the top. I want to grab a toothpick just thinking about all that steak. You also had to pee on a stick. Maybe that is still a thing.
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    Atkins, What do you mean no bread?

I laughed at this. I've fasted before where I've gotten rid of meat and many other things I like. But when I heard about the Atkins diet, I was like "hell no, how I am gonna not eat any bread O.o"
  • Tmdesir
    Tmdesir Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Lol I tried the lemon aid diet. It lasted a day.
  • Soopatt
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My cousin was heavier and more desperate that me. She had her jaw wired. All she ended up doing was hammering chocolate bars flat to feed them through the gap and liquidizing all the things she ate before and drinking them :(
  • cosmiqrecovery
    cosmiqrecovery Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    lord have mercy on my soul for ever falling victim to the abc diet, but in my defense i already had an eating disorder before i picked it up. i wasn't one of those kids who thought having one would be a fun and neat way to lose their baby fat. then there was the military diet, the "princess" diet (it's on a pdf somewhere and it's ridiculous), russian gymnast, skinny girl which is basically just hclf vegan anyway. i also did a smoothie diet of my own creation where i'd have 2 protein smoothies a day and then do three hours of pilates a day. college was fun. -_-

i've had someone who kept trying to get me to do a no-carb diet with them recently too? like... first of all, impossible. second of all, why. third, screw that i want a snicker's and some joy in my life.
  • AlFreebs
    AlFreebs Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The fake HCG diet - of COURSE it worked, you're only eating 500 cals a day. Lasted until I went to a wedding - gained everything back I lost and then some.
  • Soopatt
    Options
    I think that fat wobbling machine that I used to use at the gym should also be on my crime list, as well as that machine that gave your stomach little electric shocks that my mum bought by mail-order.
  • MissAmyx
    MissAmyx Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use to be all into the "pro-ana" side of things when i was younger. I did the "skinny girl diet" or the "ABC diet"
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/7a827655a129faf104f67fe51ceb5a41/tumblr_myfkzs6G9U1rp792jo1_500.png

I also use to eat only 2 cans of baby food a day that was ...interesting

I also use to only eat broth type soup all day everyday and drink pepsi max

I use to put duct tape over my mouth and only cut a tiny slit in it so a straw could fit through it so i could drink water/pepsi max

I pretty much exsisted off pepsi max when i was younger

I also kept a "thinspiration" book and it had like pictures of models and swimsuits and little mantras like "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels" and "My hero's wear size Zeros!" Nicole Richie and Mary-Kate Olsen where like my ULTIMATE idols back then (when they were both dangerously thin)
    I actually dropped a lot of weight (suprise suprise) but i was obviously not healthy but it was just the enviroment i was in, i was in highschool and all my friends where doing the same thing we'd all get through like 1-2L of water a day at school and eat one apple a day...one of my friends actually passed out and was in hospital for 2 days due to not eating we actually had peopel come to school and talk about dieting and the danger of restricting food and stuff because of it!

I'm in a much better place though now and doing things right this time! :)
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I think it was like a version of the three day military diet? I don't know but I still can't eat green beans.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I listed some on my profile, but I forgot about the SlimFast diet! Ugh - I loved chocolate milk/shakes before that diet. I guess one good thing that resulted from it is having that particular addication curbed after consuming 2 out of 3 meals of it for several weeks.

I tried it before they allowed snacks, too, so I was consistantly starving.

Oh - and the expense... Wow - a 12-pack was less than a week of supplies.

I was also one of those people that went crazy over the fat-free fad. "FAT MAKES YOU FAT" used to be the slogan. I bought so much Entimens and Snackwells crap and would stuff my face with it because "Woo! Fat free! It's harmless!"
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I think I tried them all

Weight watchers - works
    Shake diets - ended up doubling my intake cause it made me full
    Not eating - yeah lasted like a day
    Soup diet- got bored with it

• _ankylosaurus_
    _ankylosaurus_ Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Nutrisystem. I cannot begin to describe how foul the food was. I lasted two excruciating weeks.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Nothing too goofy for me. I tried the shakes (meh) and just about every caffeine supplement paired with stupid amounts of exercise. There was no way I could exercise away the excess that I was eating, so it didn't work and I gave up.
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    3 day military diet.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Shakes, Jenny Craig, Low carb, no carb, CSIRO, Israeli diet, Healthy Inspirations (think Curves + WW under one roof) and many, many years of WW.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Oh, the funny diets I've tried.
    • Apple a day with lots of water (nothing else). Did that in high school for 1-2 days here and there to fit into clothes for a date/dance/whatnotevent. Definitely not healthy, but all my friends were doing it, too.
    • TJ Miracle Soup. Not so bad - at least it's somewhat nutritious. I usually lasted about 4 days. Did this one several times over the years.
    • Nancy shakes. My neighbor was selling their "nutritional products" and wouldn't leave me alone. I was weak and bought a container. (He was also my best friend's brother, so I was kinda stuck). The shakes had a "secret" ingredient that made you feel full, but it wasn't listed on the label - just something like "proprietary weight loss herbs" or something like that. I actually think it was psyllium husk. I did it for about a week and then dumped the rest. I didn't like consuming a "secret ingredient" that I didn't have a clue what I was.
    • Adkins. I lasted about 5 days. Never been so bound up in my life! (sorry if tmi). It actually was making me nauseous to eat so much meat, cheese and high fat foods. I believe I ate mostly fruit and vegetables for the next month.
    • Weight watchers. Just when I was getting the hang of it, they went and changed it up. To Point Plus. WTH?? Plus, it annoyed me to no end that my heavier friends got more points than me. Didn't seem fair. I lasted about 2 months the first time. About 2 weeks the second time. (I know this works for some people, just not for me.)

What REALLY works for me for weight loss is good nutrition, plenty of exercise, lots of water and eating at a calorie deficit. Gee, who knew? :p
  • raregem99
    raregem99 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Alli pills.