Fruit - Good or Bad??

Options
Fruit seems to be one area of nutrition where there seems to be loads of conflicting evidence so hopefully you will be able to help.

Is fruit good or bad carbs and does this include dried fruit?

Some say eat plenty a day others restrict to 2 pieces max a day. I love fruit but it can be addictive.

All advice is welcome.

Replies

• swenard
    swenard Posts: 101
    Options
    Personally, I think fruit is fantastic to eat and lots of it. However, because of the amount of sugar in it, I suggest you stick to about 2 pieces a day while trying to lose weight. If you were at a goal weight, it would be fine to eat a lot more.

IMHO
  • miss_jamaica
    miss_jamaica Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I allow myself an unlimited amount of fruit. My rationale is that the fruit I am eating is probably replacing something much higher in calories. It works for me.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good, too much is bad. Serving size for each fruit is different. Some like bananas and apples and oranges is only 1/2. Berries are usually 1/2 to 1 cup.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I eat no more than 2-3 pieces a day and not after 2pm...unless I have no other choice. Watch out for what gets added to the dry fruits.
  • weelissa
    weelissa Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Fruit can be high in sugar, but it's natural sugar and if you're training your body will use it as fuel.

Have you ever heard of anyone becoming fat from eating fruit?

Exactly.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Which are the healthiest fruits to eat?
  • jasonweinberg
    jasonweinberg Posts: 270
    Options

Have you ever heard of anyone becoming fat from eating fruit?

Exactly.

but that isn't necessarily the question/point though. may of us are on here to lose weight and just eliminating what "made us fat" in the first place isn't necessarily a complete path to doing so. fruits can be very high in sugar and calories, "natural" or not. if you are trying to lose weight watching your sugars, carbs, and calories can be a very important part of doing so and eating too much fruit most definitely can slow weight-loss.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Cherries and all berries are the best for you.
  • freakybeanie
    Options
    I don't know. i eat fruit for lunch at work and have no carbs left for dinner according to MFP!
    I can't eat bread or pasta at work as they make me tired, so struggle with what else to have.