1200 cals per day, 3 hrs+ exercise

Options
hey everyone! I excercise at least 3 hours a day (I'm a gymnast) and I usally eat around 1000-1200 cals. Is this bad? I seem to be putting on weight no matter how healthy I am! I really also can't eat anymore! If I have NET 1200 cals (which never happens, I only eat -1200 in foods not net, net is usally quite low 500 etc) the only way I get net 1200 cals is if I have a super bad day! Any addvice? Is it because in growing, muscles or is it classified as a starvation diet?

Thanks xo

Replies

• Gymnast14
    Gymnast14 Posts: 4
    Options
    Like today I had a really really bad day, and my net is still 800.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    starvation mode is an over used term, and exercising that much isn't really healthy, but, I have a feeling you're not going to change that side of it, so you need to eat more. You obviously know you should be eating at the very least 1200 net, so I think you answered your own question as to how healthy it is.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I can't really help you as eating too little is not my problem. But people who can help you will want to see your food diary. You currently have it set to private. If you open it up so they can see what you're eating you'll get better advice.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Well it sounds bad, but don't know for sure, open your diary so we can see where those 1200 cals are coming from. Also what is your body fat %, being a gymnast it should be low, you might be gaining muscle but I find that hard to believe with only 1200 cals. Need more info, how tall are you what is your weight, are you trying to lose fat or gain muscle?
  • countrymom1
    countrymom1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think your body has kicked into starvation mode. You shouldn't net less than 1200 calories a day. 1200 calories is the absolute least you should have. You could try upping your protein to get in the calories. -- but like others have said, it is hard to say for sure without seeing your diary.
  • hayley_m
    hayley_m Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    are you able to wear a heart monitor when you are a gymnast? first find out how many calories you are burning! do you have the right settings inputted into mfp? if you have always done 3 hours excercise everyday you should be at an active level which will give you more than 1200 cals a day anyway? i think you have answered your own question really, you need to eat more calories, you may put weight on to start with but then it will start coming off again at an even rate? eat little and often, have a good healthy big breakfast, a mid morning snack, lunch, a mid afternoon snack and then a big healthy dinner and a healthy pudding!! add the extra calories with more fruit and veg, an easy and healthy way to top up the cals!!
  • AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I am worried you as a gymnast you need the adequate nutrition to keep your body from wasting valuable muscle away! How tall are you and your weight so we can help you! If you don't eat enough try energy bars or protein shakes.

April
  • rosiesparkle100
    Options
    Are you really aiming to get to 38kg? That is the weight of a nine year old child! I think you know perfectly well you aren't eating enough at ALL and should probably go and see a nutritionist to make sure you are getting the right foods to keep you competing. I know it's a competitive world out there, but you won't get very far if you totally waste away. Good luck!
  • Gymnast14
    Options
    Hey guys, thanks for your answers! I'll figure out how to set it to not private.
    For those who asked im 5"4 and 42.4 kilos. I feel fine! That's the thing I eat till I'm full and satisfied.
    No I'm not really trying to get to 38, just maybe 41.
  • Gymnast14
    Options
    Ok it's not on private anymore! I only want to lose a couple kilos because alot of other gymnasts are skinnier than me (even tho I'm underweight) it's just the sport! I think my bmi is 15.8?