South Beach Diet Phase 1

Options
Hi all,

I am starting south beach diet next week. I have PCOS/insulin resistance and was told by my doctor that south beach is a good way of eating for PCOSers. Just curious of our people's experiences with the south beach diet, particularly phase 1!

Also, is there a MFP group for South Beach?

Thanks!

Replies

• Bemah
    Bemah Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm also planning on starting next week- I've sprained my ankle which is a massive blow to my weight loss efforts and morale!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    There's a PCOS group if you look through groups

no idea about the Southbeach diet - personally don't like prescriptive diets but if it's what you want to do .. good luck

PS why are you waiting till Monday, why don't you start now?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    "The South Beach Diet is a fad diet developed by Arthur Agatston and promoted in a best-selling 2003 book. It emphasizes eating high-fiber, low-glycemic carbohydrates, unsaturated fats, and lean protein, and categorizes carbohydrates and fats as "good" or "bad"."

it sounds absolutely awful and nonsensical

Calorie counting and monitoring your protein and carbs (is it a condition that responds to lower carbs?) and getting more active should be sufficient surely? <awaits PCOS knowledgable folk>
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's actually quite an easy diet. Not very faddy at all. It emphasizes lean meats and plenty of vegetables. Dairy, legumes, and yes, high fiber and low glycemic carbs. It does use the words "good" and "bad", but that's certainly easier than saying "high glycemic, low fiber, nutrient poor" carbs and "low glycemic, high fiber, nutrient dense carbs". Call em whatever you want.

OP: there's a South Beach/low glycemic group here.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8279-south-beach-diet-and-low-glycemic-load-impact-eating
    I would encourage reading the original book (which is a quick read), or the updated book, but avoid the website, as Dr Agatston no longer owns the rights to the diet. And avoid random googling.

To ME, it seems like a good starting point for someone with PCOS, then tweak as needed.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    It's actually quite an easy diet. Not very faddy at all. It emphasizes lean meats and plenty of vegetables. Dairy, legumes, and yes, high fiber and low glycemic carbs. It does use the words "good" and "bad", but that's certainly easier than saying "high glycemic, low fiber, nutrient poor" carbs and "low glycemic, high fiber, nutrient dense carbs". Call em whatever you want.

OP: there's a South Beach/low glycemic group here.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8279-south-beach-diet-and-low-glycemic-load-impact-eating
    I would encourage reading the original book (which is a quick read), or the updated book, but avoid the website, as Dr Agatston no longer owns the rights to the diet. And avoid random googling.

To ME, it seems like a good starting point for someone with PCOS, then tweak as needed.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

It is definitely not "absolutely awful and nonsensical nor is it a fad." It is, in fact, very balanced, healthy and quite easy to adhere to. I have been living this way for many years and have never felt better.

Feel free to PM me also!
  • smedwards210
    smedwards210 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is very good diet. A few years ago, I lost a lot of weight (25lbs in 3 months), but i didn't have the will power nor was I ready to make the lifestyle change to maintain my weight so I gained the weight back. It's a good stepping stone for making a lifestyle change but you have to be willing to make that change for this to be successful. It also teaches you that you don't have to starve to lose weight. 3 meals a day, with snacks in between sounds good to me. I actually started again on 3/5. Feel free to PM me. I will probably post week by week progress.
  • mmmitchell05
    mmmitchell05 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was my first day of Phase 1. Yesterday was great. Today was great "food-wise", but I'm feeling weak. Im assuming this is due to lack of crap food/withdrawals. I tried this diet when it first came out, and remember feeling this way. However, I'm older, wiser, and have a little more to gain by sticking to it this time. I've heard if you push through this yuck feeling, then it gets easier. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My Phase 1 was sabotaged by visiting family, so I went directly to Phase 2. I didn't really have cravings so this was no problem. However, I switched to Splenda at the same time. My first lipid test showed fantastic results on triglycerides, but overall cholesterol and LDL were higher. I gradually got off the diet as these two continued higher and higher. Finally found out the cause was the Splenda. I still try to follow the basic premises of the South Beach because it is the healthiest way I have found to eat. I just avoid all artificial sweeteners!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

Agree, it's a balanced (and tasty imo) diet, definitely easy to manage.