Rural USA is hard to find healthy foods

Options
powell9376
powell9376 Posts: 10 Member
I have a hard time finding ingredients for healthy recipes where I live. If it isn't in the comfort food group, it's not in the stores here. To find a store that does have things like fresh salmon, I would have to drive an hour one way. Are there healthy recipes that include "comfort foods"? I'm truly open to suggestions.

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I would look for local farms! I would love to have access to more fresh produce where we are.
  • powell9376
    Options
    Thank you blankiefinder for your response. There is a farmer's market once a week about an hour away. My husband is retired so he is planning to go there this week.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Some other ideas that you might have access to for healthy foods: chicken, frozen shrimp, frozen fish....
  • powell9376
    Options
    We do have a fresh meat market here but it's mostly pork. Wal-mart is the only grocery store. They do have frozen shrimp, grilled chicken strips that I've been using in my salads but I haven't seen any frozen fish except what is breaded. I wish I could find real turkey and not the processed lunch meat.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    I picked up a Taste of Home light cookbook at the thrift store recently that had a lot of comfort-type foods--I havem't cooked out of it yet though.

Generally, I just make normal food but up the vegetables and cut cheese, butter or cream sauces, etc.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    If you're able to find basics like vegetables, rice, beans, fruits, nuts... You can make lots of delicious, low calorie items. If you can't get good meats or fish, don't eat them. Lots of people balance a vegetarian or mostly vegetarian diet.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Your stores don't carry rice or lentils?

Seriously?
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I shop at Walmart, and stick to veggies, and shop the "edges", not the aisles. Although I was looking for a tea, and found a huge section at Walmart that was dedicated to "gluten-free" foods.

Salmon? I got a big bag in the frozen food section, wild caught.

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    powell9376 wrote: »
    We do have a fresh meat market here but it's mostly pork. Wal-mart is the only grocery store. They do have frozen shrimp, grilled chicken strips that I've been using in my salads but I haven't seen any frozen fish except what is breaded. I wish I could find real turkey and not the processed lunch meat.

The Walmart near me carries a lot of bagged frozen fish filets--ask the manager if they can start ordering it. Seconding the bagged lentils and beans mentioned above--kidney and black beans especially.

BTW, I have lean pork loin 2-3 times a month. Leftovers go in salads.
  • risingpearl
    risingpearl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you can find farmers that are willing to sell straight to you. Ask around and you might find a farmer who has a plot set aside to raise vegetables (or even rarer has meat for sale). Comfort foods can be made healthier through some substitutions. Substituting things like olive oil for butter can change a saturated fat to an unsaturated fat. Baking food instead of frying can also cut down on fat, non-fat or low-fat yogurts instead of sour cream, sugar-free applesauce instead of oil, etc. If you are new to substituting, I would start by changing things in increments. If a recipe calls for 1 cup oil, try something like 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup applesauce. Going mostly vegetarian could allow you the wiggle room to occasionally eat the less healthy meat choices your Walmart carries. Eating eggs and various beans can help with proteins and enzymes while not being terribly high in fats. And don't steer away from the fresh meat market just because it's pork. Try keeping those comfort foods to small portions and filling most of your meal with vegetables and you'll do great.
  • earndien
    earndien Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i there i might not be in the rural of usa but i am in the rural of south african, and the most decent place to buy all the "health" food is from either 3 to 4 hour driv, but our local story normal sell the normal like tomatoes and veg at a price. what i normally do is that i set my date as when i want to go to a big city, write a list and a half and save as much money as possible, when i get back home it looks like i bought enough to feed a small army, then i do my magic by pre-cooking and pre packing and then freezing then i am set for about 2 til 4 months.. planning is the key
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Wow. I knew rural living had its limitations but I didn't realize it was this bad.

Most likely depends on the rural area itself. I can walk to the butcher's or have fresh eggs delivered, but have to drive 15 minutes for regular groceries.

I agree, planning is key and the freezer is your friend.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time finding ingredients for healthy recipes where I live. If it isn't in the comfort food group, it's not in the stores here. To find a store that does have things like fresh salmon, I would have to drive an hour one way. Are there healthy recipes that include "comfort foods"? I'm truly open to suggestions.

Foods that provide nutrients are not unhealthy. Vegetables & fruits- fresh, frozen and canned- provide nutrients. Chicken, pork, beef or fish- fresh, frozen or canned- provide nutrients. Beans, lentils, rice, cereal, oatmeal, bread, eggs, milk, yogurt all have nutrients. Canned or frozen meals have nutrients but can also be high in sodium.
    Pork rinds or soda pop have less nutrients compared to the calorie content.
    What do you consider comfort food and why is it unhealthy?
    Why do you think you need to eat fresh salmon to be healthy?

I live in a small town/rural area. I have lived with limited selection at local grocery stores myself but it is possible to put together a decent meal from ingredients found there. You don't have to eat exotic things. There are also farmer's markets and such.

My family has liked recipes from these sites:
    skinnytaste.com
    budgetbytes.com
    kalynskitchen.com
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Your stores don't carry rice or lentils?

Seriously?

And vegetables?
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Your Walmart doesn't have chicken breast, chicken thighs, steaks, ground beef, roasts, turkey breast or tenderloin roasts? No produce section, canned vegetables, frozen vegetables? What about dried beans? I'm assuming this a SuperWalmart and not a regular Walmart.

I guess my questions would be what do you consider healthy food (your definition for you will of course limit your possibilities) and do you cook? I am absolutely not being snarky - if you don't want turkey sandwich meat then you get fresh/frozen turkey or breast and prepare it. Fresh chicken and grill or roast it. Etc.....