Torn ACLs and coping with them

Options
I torn my left ACL in Feb 2015. Did PT and was getting back to hiking and TKD without any problems. Then I broke my right big toe and should have dropped TKD for a few months. Came down wrong on a kick and torm my right ACL. Is there anyone out there also working with one or more torn ACLs without surgery? I need HELP. I think if I can keep myself down (doing PT and other strengthening exercises, swimming, biking, weight machines, ) that i will be able to go back to hiking and TKD in the end.

Replies

• Snowhappens
    Snowhappens Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Torn my right ACL in April and partial MCL, meniscus and fractured tibia. Looking at surgery in July I think... But am able to work out carefully now. I have a bit of instability still.
  • Mosso86
    Mosso86 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Had knee reco last year with torn meniscus, long slog do your rehab and you'll come out the other side in good shape. My knee is 100% can do everything and more after opp.
    Good luck
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Have you had an MRI and a visit to an orthopedist? My understanding is that some ACL injuries will heal on their own, and some won't. A tear is very likely to need to surgery. I have a fracture where my ACL tore a chunk of bone, instead of being torn.
  • ashleycho21
    ashleycho21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I tore my ACL last year, had surgery last year and I'm still rehabbing (on schedule still).

It is my understanding that if you do anything to the ACL it never "heals on its own". People can live with damaged or torn acls and live normal lives but its never the same. If you want to play sports with no ACL then you'll likely need a brace depending on the sport.

This is my, unprofessional I'm-not-a-doctor, opinion.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I torn my left ACL in Feb 2015. Did PT and was getting back to hiking and TKD without any problems. Then I broke my right big toe and should have dropped TKD for a few months. Came down wrong on a kick and torm my right ACL. Is there anyone out there also working with one or more torn ACLs without surgery? I need HELP. I think if I can keep myself down (doing PT and other strengthening exercises, swimming, biking, weight machines, ) that i will be able to go back to hiking and TKD in the end.
    You went back to TKD with only 4 months heal time? Recovery and rehab for ACL are typically 6 months to a year for total recovery. You should just focus on total rehab before even considering TKD again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I tore my ACL last year, had surgery last year and I'm still rehabbing (on schedule still).

It is my understanding that if you do anything to the ACL it never "heals on its own". People can live with damaged or torn acls and live normal lives but its never the same. If you want to play sports with no ACL then you'll likely need a brace depending on the sport.

This is my, unprofessional I'm-not-a-doctor, opinion.

As far as I know that is true, they do not heal. I tore mine 12 years before I snapped it. But it was really like night and day - before it snapped, it was slightly wobbly but fine and I did normal stuff, including lots of skiing which eventually finished it off. When it snapped, the leg would not bear weight at all. It was super grody. Do your PT and all that stuff. I would say, hiking for sure, easy peasy. TKD - maybe with some good wrapping on your knees? But I'm not your doc or PT.

@lithezebra - you must have some strong ligaments!!! I'm sure that was a horrible experience for you though, but I have to admit I am kind of impressed.