Binge eating/mindless and stress eating

Options
Popeyeboy1
Popeyeboy1 Posts: 4 Member
what do you all do/try to do to stop binge, mindless and stress eating?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't keep foods in the house that make wracking up calories easier. Can't eat Oreos that aren't there! :)

I was lucky when I started because I had a health issue that scared me into eating what I was told to eat. So, I was seriously committed to doing that, even if it was hard and sucked. The alternatives seemed much worse. I made a decision to do it and I didn't even let myself think about eating what I shouldn't. I might like it and miss it, but i was so resolved.

Everyone has to find their thing - their reason for deciding that they just ARE NOT going to eat what they shouldn't.

If you're reason for wanting to stop eating too much is a good one (and I bet it is), just keep asking yourself, "Do I want this second plate of meatloaf or do I want My Reason?" (Whatever your reason is.)

Maybe, if you really want whatever it is, it will be enough to stop you.

Consider a therapist who specializes in eating disorders if you cannot stop yourself. They might be able to help!
  • dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Being concenetious of my mental state is really important to me when it comes to not binge eating. I find that when I'm in a bad way I'll rationalize eating badly by letting myself think I'm hungry when I'm really just upset or whatever. I'll skip over any sort of real problem solving (deep breaths, running through 'worst case scenarios' etc) and go straight to binging. Taking a minute to step back and say "I'm stressed because ________" can make eating boxloads of Kraft Dinner seem like a way less suitable reaction to a bad day.

Recognise that you're feeling triggered (and the cause of it, if youre able), and take 15 minutes to try to find a solution or calm down (and drink a glass of cold water, fo real). Binging can be a knee-jerk reaction to a problem, and not a lingering desire, so 15 minutes might be long enough to push past it.

Also it's suuuuuper important that you aren't too hard on yourself if you do binge. It's an ongoing process and making yourself feel like crap over one binge can lead to another and create a vicious cycle. Tomorrow is a new day. Don't starve yourself the next day because you fell off the wagon a bit.

Also I agree with Kalikel that not keeping your binge-foods around the house can really help. If you're very prone to binging than making it really inconvenient for yourself might help.
  • SugarySweetheart
    SugarySweetheart Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Measure out your portion size and don't go back for more! Another tip: Never eat in front of the TV or computer.
  • NishaPhilips
    NishaPhilips Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Me too agree with Kalikel. I have been binge eating/stress eating for many yeaRS and suddenly I felt that I should stop my self being controlled by emotions while eating especially :) . Stopped keeping food at my bedside except water. And always reminding myself that no matter what I can do what is right. So can you :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    All good ideas above. :)

Also, setting a nice place for yourself at the kitchen or dining room with a real plate and good flatware/silverware and eating slowly can work. <3
    After about 15 times in a row, the body and mind start to associate food for food's sake.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    It's an ongoing battle. I have to avoid keeping trigger foods in the house, minimise/cut out alcohol at home, and constantly talk myself into better decisions while I wait for the craving to pass.

To combat mindless eating (particularly in the evenings) I drink herbal tea or brush my teeth after dinner so that food tastes a bit odd. I work an environment where there's a lot of snack food. I'm not someone who can have 'just one thing', it rapidly spins into two cupcakes, handful of chips etc. If I know I'm going to a meeting where there's food, I'll take something healthy to snack on. Otherwise, I just to block it out - visualise that I no longer see the food there. It's hard. I stared at a cupcake for a good two minutes the other day, but reminded myself of my longer term goals (and how many burpees it would take to burn off the cupcake!) and that the frosting didn't look that great anyway!

Stress eating is tough - I mostly replace it with exercise. The endorphins are fantastic. I go to gym straight after work - when I'm feeling most stressed. I also keep a list of self care options on my fridge - painting my nails, taking a bath, doing some yoga etc. I pick one of those before reaching for food.

It really is hard. You're not alone! Mindless, stress and binge eating are the primary reason I've been losing and gaining the same 10-15kg for years. This time I'm determined to change the behaviours and thoughts that lead to me using food in that way.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    There are a few things I have trouble with so I either 1) don't buy them or 2) keep them in a storage container in my basement parking spot. Bedtime is my worst time and I am not about to run down 2 flights of stairs in my pj's. The things I keep there are things I eat, but also can overeat like peanut butter, graham crackers (when I have leftover after baking something), almonds, powdered sugar (mixed in equal parts with peanut butter gives you the center of peanut butter cups), etc. I bring them upstairs when I need them, then they go right back into the container.
  • Nursie863
    Nursie863 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I literally don't have anything in my house that I can binge on. That way, at least if you have to go somewhere to get your binge food, it stops you for a while and makes you really think twice. Plus, drinking a cup of coffee kills my appetite. I realize that may not be totally reasonable at 11 pm, but hey, it's better than binging.

Also, another thing that really works for me is to put on an episode of Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition when I feel a binge coming on or I am white-knuckling it. Chris Powell is extremely motivating, and you definitely won't want to eat anything while watching it.

Good luck!!
  • JensJourney11
    JensJourney11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not alone. I have had to work hard over the past couple of years to really separate food from emotion. It's so hard on some days and I still cave occasionally. I know now that there are certain snacks that I just can't keep in the house. It's not worth it because I can't have one cookie or a sliver of cake.
    Great advice given by lots of people above!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Jipster11 wrote: »
    You are definitely not alone. I have had to work hard over the past couple of years to really separate food from emotion. It's so hard on some days and I still cave occasionally. I know now that there are certain snacks that I just can't keep in the house. It's not worth it because I can't have one cookie or a sliver of cake.
    Great advice given by lots of people above!

If I really want something like a cookie or cake, I will go to the store or bakery and buy one. Just one cookie or a cupcake will satisfy and I will have no more to potentially binge on. My grocery store bakery makes these large cupcakes that they decorate really fancy and I bought one of those for my last birthday along with a split of prosecco (bubbly is something else I have trouble controlling). I enjoyed my little celebration and had no guilt and no leftovers!

• msfoxy_25
    msfoxy_25 Posts: 40 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I try to stay distracted and stick to set meal times. So if breakfast is at 8 and lunch is 12 then I need something that will keep me busy until then. I'll clean organize, watch tv, go walk, read, work out, do some art/craft stuff.
    Don't eat "diet" foods like sugar free, light, fat free options because they are typically higher in sugar (reduced fat products) which is worse for you than fat. Fats will keep you fuller longer just make sure your getting the right ones like avocado, almonds and nut butters. Sugar filled products spike blood sugar which soon drops leaving your craving more sugar.
    Drink lots of water through out the day.
  • westmor
    westmor Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It's tough, I think a lot of the MFP members struggle with the same issue - I certainly do! I have found a good book that I am reading at the moment which has some clever ideas: 'The Diet Trap Solution'. One of the tips I have started using is to create some cards which address the trigger moments (e.g. when I get in from work, when I feel stressed or out of control). The cards remind me why I don't want to give in, what my reasons are for wanting to lose weight, what I could do instead of binge eat etc. etc. It is helpful and it has made me think about the thought process I go through when I do want to binge. Wish you all the best of luck, feel free to add me as a friend if you would like to.
  • oksoitsjen
    oksoitsjen Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this on the regular. It's a day to day battle. I'm an emotional eater. I can't keep my trigger foods in the house. And if I do have them, I eat them until they are gone. It's been hard for me to get in the "lifestyle change" mind set instead of the "diet" mind set. It's nice to see I'm not alone in this struggle!
  • cleanbulk_hatersgfy
    cleanbulk_hatersgfy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When I was cutting I did not keep trigger food around the house for 2 months. I have slowly re-introduced PB, almond butter, cereal, Dave's power seed bread, all nuts (love 'em, all of 'em), popcorn kernels (I got me an air popper), granola, dark chocolates in my pantry. My issue was not my fave food per se as they are nutritionally dense. It was I, who mindlessly ate too much! Yikes! :D Self-awareness is great thing! Have a good one!
  • Mccmack
    Mccmack Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I make sure to eat vegetables, proteins and fats before considering other foods. This keeps me full until about 3:00 - 5:00 in the afternoon. I still have calories left and I will eat one more meal in the evening. I won't beat myself up if I get into the peanut butter at night becuase I still like my food choices even if I do have a binge. In my opinion, there is a difference between binging while eating at a calorie deficit and binging after eating 4000 calories during the day. My body might have a legitimate need for those calories. However, I do believe tracking your mental state during a binge is a wise thing to do. Lots of great ideas in the above responses.
  • Mennay
    Mennay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Can i please just point out and stress that ober eating and binge eating are not exclusively the same thing. Tellinf me to control my portion sizes, eating with smaller plates & not keeping trigger foods in does not stop me from wanting to break dowm every day and buy a packet of biscuits, large of crisps, bottle of fizzy drink and a 3 for £1 mix and match sweets on my way home. Even if i can resist that, i can then spend hours of an evening mentally arguing with myself about whether or not to buy an Domino's pizza JUST because i want to actually have the warmed cookies sent to my house after the shops are shut.

I don't have any magical answers im affraid other than physical distractions help at the mo. Much like smoking cessation. But i binge because i know every normal dieting technique in the book. Second helpings isnt binging
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I'm a past binger here's my advice when I feel emotionally wrecked ( this is when I want to binge) I do something that will ease it and not make me feel worst so I either skype or talk to friends or come on here and read the success bit of the forum it enpowers me. I go for a run or walk or do a fitness blender workout. You need to firstly look for the pre triggers try and deal with stress or upset before it reaches the binge point. Write yourself a note and put it on the fridge with a motivational picture whether it be a dream outfit, body, goal anything that positively drives you your note must be positive to make you think no I'm not just going to eat! Hope this helps. You can always message your MFP friends we are all here to support you.