What are your food staples?

Options
I need to start branching out from my oatmeal, peanut butter, bag of veggies, chicken and rice rut...Any ideas??

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Do you cook? Would you batch cook at weekend? What kind of food do you like

I always have in my fridge

- Cartons of Egg White
    - Laughing Cow Light
    - Mature Cheddar - grated at home in a tupperware
    - 0% Greek Yogurt
    - Berries
    - Mixed Salad leaves - rocket (arugala), spinach, watercress
    - Generally some kind of big pre-cooked dish like chicken cacciatore, mixed meditteranean vegetables, squash risotto that I can grab for work and go
    - BOL Mixed veg pots (previously Innocent brand) which are a 3.5 minute microwave time - like the thai coconut curry and the lentil sambar
    - White farmhouse pre-sliced bread (in breadbin not fridge)
    - cooked basmati rice

In the freezer I have things like
    - home cooked salmon fishcakes
    - vegetable and feta / halloumi bakes
    - individual ice creams like Snickers / Mars / Solero / Fabs etc

depends what I cook

mooch around www.skinnytaste.com for ideas (chicken cacciatore and salmon fishcakes are from there)
  • lucyholdcroft363
    lucyholdcroft363 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Wholemeal bread, cheesestrings, fage 0% yoghurt, Quorn fillets and pieces, quest bars and eggs are foods I regularly consume and have a lot of variations of what you can make :)
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Always in my fridge:
    100% liquid egg whites
    Regular eggs
    Hard boiled eggs
    Fiber One full fat cottage cheese
    Better N' Peanut Butter (Low sodium)
    0% (Icelandic) Greed yogurt
    Blueberries, strawberries
    Microgreens, juicing greens, baby spinach and kale
    Every fresh vegetable you could possibly imagine
    Pre cooked lean meats e.g., turkey, chicken, beef, pork, salmon
    Turkey and regular bacon
    Lauging Cow light
    Melt butter
    Fat free feta
    Skim string cheese
    Chocolate milk

Always on hand / not in fridge:
    PB2
    Almonds/cashews/pistacchio's
    Turkey/Beef jerkey
    Kale Krunch
    Olive oil (regular and spray)
    Boom Chicka Pop Popcorn
    Buckwheat
    Truvia
    Natural honey
    Triscuts

Apples, lemons

Plant Fusion protein powder
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm this gives me some really great suggestions. I really need to get more cottage cheese, but not the light or half whatever stuff, I like the full on 100%, maybe with pineapple!
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I always have eggs, babybel cheese, 0% Greek yogurt, and ice cream sandwiches (the ones I buy are 150 cal, so I can fit ice cream into my calorie goals pretty much every day).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    oh yeah .. babybel, eggs, cottage cheese, light cream cheese, diet coke, diet 7-up, Quavers, Popchips
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm this gives me some really great suggestions. I really need to get more cottage cheese, but not the light or half whatever stuff, I like the full on 100%, maybe with pineapple!

Full fat cottage cheese or gtfo.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you are tired of chicken and rice, buy some pork chops or chicken thighs or low fat ground beef to eat with green beans.
    http://liasfoodjourney.blogspot.com/2014/03/chinese-green-beans-with-beef.html
    xbjxcsymc2zr.jpg
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    My diet during the day mostly consists of:
    Tuna in spring water
    Quinoa
    Cottage cheese
    Home made green smoothies (banana, baby spinach, apple/pear, ginger, lemon juice, ice berg lettuce)
    Greek yoghurt
    Fresh fruits
    Nuts and seeds
    Home made protein balls (peanut butter, chocolate protein powder, honey, LSA and choc chips - tastes like cookie dough!)
    Oats with chia seeds and LSA
    Herbal tea and coffee

I cook in bulk, love using my slow cooker. I mix it up with spices and cooking methods so the lean meat and vegetable combination doesn't get too boring.

On high rotation in my kitchen at the moment:
    Vegetable soups and curries
    Clean burrito bowls
    Chicken larb in lettuce wraps
    Stir frys
    Egg white frittatas

• AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Yeah I need to eat more chicken thight, I love the taste, the greasyness, its so good just with some cracked pepper..and clearly I always have enough calories left over for it, haha. That's a good idea.
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    i live and die on slow cooked meals because i can't be bothered to cook more than a few times a week. So, I have a lot of lentils on hand for slow cooked stews. Tons of lettuce/spinach/feta for lunch salads. Eggs & bacon as a high protein go-to quick meal.

Dinner this week has been http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/curried-lentil-tomato-soup
    After it runs out, killing off some of the frozen fish I have and then treating myself to spaghetti for the rest of the week. =)

Chicken dishes - I'm a fan of kinda stir frying cubed chicken with broccoli or asparagus and a honey-ginger-sesame sauce type of deal over rice or quinoa.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    For me, sweet potato, red onion, spinach, tins of low fat coconut milk, chopped tomatoes, cannellini beans, chickpeas and puy lentils. That's the basis for a tonne of different low cal veggie curries, stews and oven bakes. In my freezer, I always have chicken breasts and thighs, lean mince steak, salmon fillets and fishcakes. I've always got a load of berries in my fridge, along with melon, satsumas, apples and plums. I always tend to have corn tortillas, pikelets and maltloaf in my bread bin, along with a loaf of rye bread. Dairy - semi-skimmed milk, mature cheddar cheese, 0% Greek or Icelandic yogurt and feta cheese. And usually a half dozen eggs!

My treat cupboard has mini Twixes, liquorice cuttings, cashews, pistachios, 85% dark chocolate and maple syrup.
  • Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Fridge: Skimmed milk, low fat greek yoghurt, fruit yoghurts, sandwich meat including chicken chunks I can quickly throw into a salad, light dairylea, light mayonnaise, lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms, carrots, cucumber, bell peppers, whatever greenery I fancy that week, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, often peaches or plums.

Out: Apples, bananas, avocado, bread, melon.

Cupboard: Chickpeas, lentils, various types of beans, sweet potato, passata, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, tuna, rice, fry light, onions, garlic, lots of herbs and spices, balsamic vinegar, popcorn, granola, some sort of fruit and fibre cereal.

Freezer: Fish, peas, spinach, fish cakes, quorn, steak, chicken or turkey, sausages, occasionally I'll buy beef, pork or turkey mince but only really use it to make burgers (I prefer lentils in things like bolognese, beans in chilli).
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Fridge: Soymilk, Soyghurt, yeastspread, tofu, redbull
    out: bananas, tomatoes, potatoes
    freezer: broccoli, vodka (hrrrrhrrrrrr)
    Cupboard: canned beans, bread, soups, Ramen, olives (tons of them), canned mushrooms, pickles, cornflakes, oatmeal.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt
    light cheese, like mozzarella
    any protein with any vegetable
    eggs
    English muffins (lite)
    coffee
    kashi golean
    apples and bananas
    whip cream
  • daniellepstewart209
    daniellepstewart209 Posts: 32 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Eggs, shiritaki noodles (Japanese not branded 'skinny' ones!) 1/2 the fridge is just veg. Bell peppers, pak choi, beans, mange tout, carrots, sweet potatoe, fennel bulbs, fresh herbs, limes, spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, radish. Anything and everything. Fadge 0% Greek yog, freezer is filled with meat, fish, shrimp, I grind my own beef everything in portions. Frozen berries. Beans lentil and that usual in the cupboards. Have fun with it
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I posted a list of what I always have on hand yesterday, but of course can't find it.

I get variety by changing my meat options regularly. I eat a lot of fish (especially trout and salmon, but a variety of that too), chicken breast (usually roasted bone-in), thighs or legs, turkey parts (I like to do these in a slow-cooker), pork chops or tenderloin, various cuts of lamb and beef, shrimp, etc.

Similarly, I tend to have a variety of veggies on hand and vary which ones I eat--I try to eat several different kinds during the day. I eat mostly cooked veggies in the winter, but now that it's summer I've been adding in more salads again, and I like to add protein and cooked veggies to a salad, plus feta and olives. I'm also a huge fan of avocado.

I rotate through different starches, although I do eat a lot of potatoes and sweet potatoes. But I also might have pasta, rice, quinoa, lentils or black beans or favas, and I lately am really into sunchokes. I also sometimes replace this part of the meal with a mix of root veggies or some winter squash. (I also eat lots of corn when it's in season, as I love fresh corn and always get excited at that time of the year.)

I eat a lot of dairy for added protein (and because I like it), mostly cottage cheese and greek yogurt.

Fruits I mostly eat based on what's in season and local, with the exception of bananas and mangoes.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I always keep a stock of items in each of these categories (some always, some rotating between):

Fridge
    Fruit (apples, pears, oranges, plums, melons, pineapple, cherries, grapes, passion fruit, mango, apricots, peach, nectarines, loquats, litchi...)
    Vegetables for eating raw (cucumber, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, beets, rutabaga, kohlrabi, romanesco, lettuce)
    Vegetables for cooking (potatoes, sweet potato, onion, garlic, chili, parsnip, corn, celery, artichoke, squash, mushrooms, peppers...)
    Spread (liver pate, cheese, cured/smoked fish)
    Eggs (chicken, sometimes quail)
    Milk (whole milk (3.9% fat))
    Yogurt or cream cheese (Greek yogurt 10% fat, Ricotta, or Mascarpone)
    Hard cheese for grating (Parmesan or Pecorino)
    Long shelf life cheese (Babybel etc)
    Dessert type cheese (Brie, Chevre, Gorgonzola...)
    Other stuff (butter, mayonnaise, mustard, pickled cucumbers (whole and sliced), maple syrup, dried fruit (apricots and dates), nut butters (peanut, almond, hazelnut, cashew), lime curd, dulce de leche, spray cream, and whatever leftovers or homemade spread (tuna or ham mayo+onion combo), cured sausage...)

Freezer
    Fruit/berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, banana slices)
    Vegetables (green peas, green beans, edamame, mushrooms, spinach)
    Fish (salmon filet, smoked trout, crab sticks)
    Meat (pork chops, lamb chops, veal/beef chops, ground beef, ground lamb, bacon, chicken thighs or wings, duck)
    Other stuff (bread/toast, cookies, ice cream...)

Pantry
    Crispbread (assorted, rye, Wasa)
    Cereals (jasmine rice, spaghetti and other pasta, rice noodles, polenta, semolina (=cream of wheat), oatmeal, millet, tapioca, barley)
    Dry beans (red, black, white), lentils (red/orange, brown/green) and peas (green and yellow)
    Canned beans (red, black, white)
    Canned fish (sardines, kippers, tuna)
    Canned fruit (pineapple)
    Tomato paste/passata
    Nuts (peanuts, almonds, pistachio, walnuts, pecans, brazil nuts)
    Seeds (sesame seeds, pine nuts)
    Beef jerky (three different varieties)
    Spices (salt, pepper, chili, paprika, cinnamon, sugar, vanilla, parsley, thyme, oregano, basil...)
    Other stuff (oils (olive and sunflower), soy sauce, brown sauce (HP sauce), Worcestershire sauce, tabasco, bouillon, ketchup, lemon juice, vinegar (balsamico and apple cider), coconut milk, honey, raisins, coffee, tea, cocoa...)
  • JMarcotte
    JMarcotte Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking Daniel...I love all the good ideas!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    legumes
    lentils
    quinoa
    brown rice
    oats
    potatoes
    cabbage
    broccoli
    greens