Asparagus Recipes

Options
DaenerysCarbaryen
DaenerysCarbaryen Posts: 9 Member
I bought some asparagus for the first time and don't really know what to do with it. Give me your recipes!

Replies

• sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I like to steam or grill it, no real need to add anything.

If you are not the biggest fan of veggies brush it with a mixture of soya sauce, garlic and sesame oil and sprinkle with some sesame seeds when finished. Very good, i wrap it up in tinfoil and put that on the grill, but you can do it in a frying pan or George Forman grill. Cook them until tender, but bright green. Nothing worse than over cooked veggies that are grey and turn to mush.
  • hutchin88
    hutchin88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My favorite quick and easy recipe:

Snap the woody ends off each stalk. Lay in a skillet in water to barely cover. Boil covered a very few minutes until only fork tender, not mushy. Drain quickly. Squeeze lemon juice over, sprinkle salt and enjoy!

Another one: same as above but boil only for two minutes. Drain and chill briefly. Toss with sliced tomatoes and a few slices of red onion. Add balsamic vinegar and a few walnuts. Or some cubes of lofat mozzarella. Or substitute pears for the tomatoes. Really good in the summer!

As you can tell I love asparagus!
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I spray lightly with cooking spray, then salt & pepper to taste. Place under broiler 5-7 minutes. Done.
  • sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Ooo I like the sound of that cold salad! Balsamic vinegar is amazing on everything.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I like to grill it too. Just drizzle with olive oil season with your choice of seasoning and grill til tender.

Piri%2BPiri%2BAsparagus3.jpg

This medley is great too! Spinach, leeks, peas and asparagus. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/04/green-vegetable-medley.html

Green+Vegetable+Medley+3.JPG

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I love to roast it or grill it with olive oil, salt and pepper.
  • CandyMonster160
    CandyMonster160 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Snap off woody ends, lay in a glass baking dish, drizzle a little butter over the top, parm. cheese, and bake for 15 ish minutes until desired tenderness. Squeeze lemon juice over top once removed from oven. Serve. Devour. Enjoy!
  • Hannah220190
    Hannah220190 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Boil for 1 minute, drain and put on baking try with olive oil, thyme & parmesan and bake in the oven for 10 mins!
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Since there's already yummy ones above, I'll post an indulgent recipe:
    Wrap in bacon, drizzle in evoo, salt/pep. Bake for 15 min at 400 (broil for 5 min if you'd like some crisp to the bacon). Eat and love life.
  • pacoles1
    pacoles1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lemon, black pepper and salt, parmesan cheese, simple and delicious!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    wrapped in bacon and baked is awesome
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Clean, trim bottoms with a knife, marinate in a balsamic vinegar, fresh garlic, and olive oil dressing seasoned with kosher salt and black pepper.

Preheat oven to 450 F or set grill on high. Cook until slightly charred.
  • NoahsMommi1012
    NoahsMommi1012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We just substituted our first for asparagus at a local burger place (amazing btw: they offer grass fed beef and you can make your burger "salad style"! Found our new cheat place lol) and it tasted like they sautéed it as some one the recipes above...garlic salt pepper onion powder....

BUT they put this fire roasted pickled relish on it. So good! Unfortunately we couldn't find any at the store, but we found a "Red Pepper Spread with Eggplant and Garlic" from Trader Joe's and it's just as good. Pretty spicy though!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Drizzle about 1 T. of Extra Virgin Olive Oil over it and then sprinkle a quarter packet of dry Italian dressing - cook at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes
  • DonnaQueenen
    DonnaQueenen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I like to chop into 1/2" pieces and cook for 3-4 mins , add lots of fresh garlic 4-6 cloves , onions , red or yellow cherry tomatoes, any colored bell peppers (optional) LOTS of cilantro ,add feta cheese before serving. I only add salt (but the recipe calls for olive oil and vinegar) , serve cold , it has become a family favorite
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    jrline wrote: »
    wrapped in bacon and baked is awesome

We wrap in proscuitto and grill... definitely delicious.

I also like grilling it plain with a little olive oil, sea salt and coarse black pepper, then drizzling with lemon juice and shredded parmesan cheese just before serving.

I also use it in stir fries like this one from Skinny Taste:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/03/chicken-and-asparagus-lemon-stir-fry.html#_a5y_p=1364122

8551fac50b5e881bfadb885e1b1bb22c.jpg
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    We trim them like this in the restaurant (collared asparagus)...

6a00d83451f83a69e20133ed75cec0970b-500wi

...and then cook them sous vide with butter and herbs, finish with Hollandaise.

You could also marinate, roast, or grill and then tie the bunches with prosciutto:

019.jpg

^ It looks super cool when you bunch the white, purple, and green asparagus spears together.
  • d08t
    d08t Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Coat 4oz of asparagus with about 1/4 tbs of olive oil. Brown in an iron skillet over medium heat (you don't want the olive oil to smoke). You can use any skillet, but I like iron. Turn every few minutes until it just starts to blacken then sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper.
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    i sautee them with garlic and a little parmesan
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Since there's already yummy ones above, I'll post an indulgent recipe:
    Wrap in bacon, drizzle in evoo, salt/pep. Bake for 15 min at 400 (broil for 5 min if you'd like some crisp to the bacon). Eat and love life.

THIS!!! Except I put mine on my grill.