Grieving a Pet

Options
Today I came across pictures of my pet that I just recently lost to cancer. I am crying buckets and all I want to do is eat! What should I do?

Replies

• cuppykat
    cuppykat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I feel that way, I try to remind myself how much worse I will feel after eating so much and how it'll set me back. But if you do slip, don't be hard on yourself, losing a pet is really difficult and I feel your pain. I'm so sorry. =(
  • AChildAtHeart
    AChildAtHeart Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Find something positive to focus on. I know how hard it is to lose fur kids. It hurts to the core of your heart. Instead of food, choose to think about five of the best memories of your time together.
  • pyepezb
    pyepezb Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I did just that. Compiled her pictures and remembered the good times when they were taken. Thank you.
  • aleycat1
    aleycat1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I lost a pet and its really hard but hang in there! Remember the good times.
  • pyepezb
    Options
    Thank you. ☺️
  • JagZag
    JagZag Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to lose best friends. I feel your pain.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Just know you are not alone. I just went thru putting my ex racing Greyhound down (to cancer) this past Tuesday. Eating may temporarily ease the pain but then the regret will set in -and you'll hate yourself, trust me, been there-done that....been fighting similar urges myself.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my sweet cat in November right before Thanksgiving and I remember wanting to drown my sorrows in food, but didn't. Instead, I put one foot in front of another, kept busy, did my workouts, planned my meals and just got through the first few days and then the next week and the next.

It actually helped me to be so focused on my goals to get through it because I was helping myself feel better on a daily basis, not worse by eating too much. I still miss my baby, of course, and you will, too, but being kind to yourself is the best thing you can do. Hugs to you.
  • heather4949
    heather4949 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    We only have our fur children for just a short time......but their unconditional love is something that we miss when they are gone....Pump out that exercise and think of your beloved animal with you every step of the way.....They don't want us to feel sad, lonely and to go back to our old ways because of their passing......if you want to cry buckets, just cry and grieve, they are no different to losing a loved human in my opinion. I know in my case it took me months, months to come to terms with the loss of my bullie. She was my best friend in the whole world.
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. My childhood dog passed away in 2008 and it still hurts. I am sending you a ton of hugs!!!!
  • LizaJo65
    LizaJo65 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you have the room and the time rescue a small dog and wAlk wAlk walk
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    airangel59 wrote: »
    Just know you are not alone. I just went thru putting my ex racing Greyhound down (to cancer) this past Tuesday. Eating may temporarily ease the pain but then the regret will set in -and you'll hate yourself, trust me, been there-done that....been fighting similar urges myself.

Oh my goodness I am so sorry. If I lost my greyhound I would absolutely lose it.

I lost a most beloved pet, and gained ten pounds. Almost exactly a year later, a friend commited suicide and the guilt had me gain another thirty. These things are impossible. But just try not to fill a hole or punish yourself by eating your pantry. Don't do what I did!
  • pyepezb
    Options
    Thank you.
  • pyepezb
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's kind words. I have taken all into consideration and I am feeling much better. I even went for a swim yesterday and managed 15 laps.
  • Mrswheels01
    Mrswheels01 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh this hits me hard. I just lost my beloved pit bull of nine years Saturday. I feel your pain. The weekend I didn't count but went right back on it on Monday. Our pups would want us to be healthy. Hugs to you.
  • pyepezb
    Options
    Thank you.