Hello - in need of severe help.

Options
Hi,

I am in severe need of help, My weight currently stands at about 335 pounds/ 152 Kilo's. I am 32 and I have been big all my adult life, it has prevented me from getting work or holding a job down. I would not get the job because they see me as fat and lazy, or i couldnt physically cope because im sooo large.

I have finally got myself a job as a motorcycle courier, but i struggle everyday. I come home and i cant move because im arms and legs hurt. It becomes to much for me to deal with.

My girlfriend of nearly 9 years used to be slim and happy and over the years she has gain weight, not to the extent of my size. I blame myself, for not being stronger for not being able to help her.

about 5 years ago i was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis which didnt help and made me gain alot of weight and for a while i used my illness as a reason for me being big.

I dont want to be like this, i dont want to struggle to find clothes that fit and look good. I dont want to miss out on life anymore. I cant go anywhere because im aware of how large i am. I see people enjoying their lives and im sitting at home.

Im told i should be around 180 pounds/82 Kilos, It just seems to far, so much to loose.

If anyone could help me, advise me or even be there for support as I have none.
Please if anyone can help it would mean everything to me

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Baby steps brother. Don't make any drastic changes, but use the tools on this site to setup a long term plan and just stick to it. Post often on the forums and build up a network of friends to encourage you. Remove yourself from negative people and thoughts.

Most of us have been there, all to different degrees, but reached a point where we said "enough" and made a change. Mark this day my friend.

Ask questions, set small achievable goals, and celebrate the victories with your friends. You're in this for the long haul, so think marathon over sprint.

Welcome aboard!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    You gotta start small.

For the next week or so, log all your food - good and bad. Eat normally.

Then take a look at where you are, vs where you should be. At your weight, it's safe to have a 2lb/week loss goal. So set that - and see how far apart your intake vs your goal is.

Then work for a few weeks on meeting that calorie goal. Go for walks, too - just get out and try to be mindfully active. You don't have to start exercising if you don't to - but you can.

Set small goals. You're 335, so make your first goal to get under 300. Then pick a new goal once you've reached that one.

Make small, sustainable changes. Do you drink soda? If so, only allow yourself one after you've had a glass of water. Like chips? Eat half of what you normally do.

You can do it.
  • dreayven
    dreayven Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the warm welcome.

There is just so much information out there. what to eat and what not to eat.
    Just eat protein and salads, veg.

eat carbs dont eat carbs, I really dont have the first idea where to start....
    well thats not true, i know not to eat anymore rubbish anymore.
  • dreayven
    Options
    @TheVirgoddess

Thank you for all the advice and I will do what you sugguested with the food log.

I will make sure I put in a few walks a week and see how I manage with that.

thank you all again
  • HeidiLove77
    HeidiLove77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My Dr just started me on a plan in which I just cut 200 calories from my diet each week. Slow and steady is what she told me. Also keep the food journal and use an app to help track your food intake.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Best not to read "all of the information out there". Log your calories and stay within the goal MFP gives you. Maybe go for a walk. You will have the rest of your (long) life to tweak and improve your diet and exercise. :)
  • davis978
    davis978 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much about doing it any particular way at this point. You have a big change to make, and at this point, it's probably best if you just change one or two small things (several excellent suggestions have already been provided) and see if you can get some success under your belt. At your stage, all you really need to do is set a reasonable goal, log everything you put in your mouth, and try to do some movement. Better to change one thing that you can succeed with than try to change everything and be overwhelmed.
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    You took the first step by realizing you want to make a change and you are asking for help. Baby steps. So far everyone has given you great advice. Slow and steady wins the race, so to speak. If you are looking for a buddy, feel free to add me.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those who is definitely in the small changes way of thinking - make the small changes - walk a little more, cut back a little on meals - for me, making small changes here and there makes it easier to try and make them permanent. Some people can make drastic changes and have it work, but that depends on the individual. One thing you could do to incorporate a small change - when making a delivery, maybe park a little further than you normally would. Maybe you only add 200 or 300 steps a day doing it, but that is still a little more than what you were doing.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    definitely start with logging your food and then start cutting down on little things to hit the calories you need to lose weight. what you eat is less important than how many calories you eat. I think you can lose 2lbs a week fairly easy at first just by logging and staying within your set calories. I wouldnt worry about working out for now, since it sounds like you get a good workout from working already.
  • lxsaps
    lxsaps Posts: 181 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    dreayven wrote: »

Maybe I can help with this. I used to eat terribly, pizza, chips, cookies soda...you name it. I've started drinking a power smoothie every morning. It's called Vega One and it's a plant based shake that contains 27 servings of veggies. I add almond milk a banana and some coconut oil. It's actually delicious! It keeps me full for most of the day and make me fill so much better.

You dont have To use that particular shake, maybe find one that works for you? Start with that and see how you feel. It worked wonders for me.

Good luck brother, hang in there. Add me if yiu need support.

• CarrieA180
    CarrieA180 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I completely understand what you are going through. I started a few days ago with 100+ to loose. I do feel better eating healthier and exercising. There is a lot of excellent advice above. Good luck to you!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    dreayven wrote: »

The basic premise of MFP and the CICO process is that it really doesn't matter where your calories come from as far as weight loss goes, just as long as you are in a deficit. Since there's more to it than just weight you want to ensure you get enough protein to maintain your muscle mass as well as sufficient fat and carbs to function. Hence your macros (carbs, protein, fats). Micros are your other nutrients which play a smaller part in your overall wellness, but if you don't have a connected medical condition don't focus on them.

As for some other helpful tips and starting points, there are a number of things which can help you minimize hunger and get your appetite accustomed to a deficit. Drinking water 30 mins before meals helps get that feeling of fullness.

The most important part of this right now is logging. Pick up a food scale and weigh out your food. Also keep a log of your activity.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I feel ya, man.

Go to this post and read the linked posts. Lots of helpful info there. I promise you can do it if you stick to it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177907/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Absent underlying health issues, do you know how you put on the weight?

My weight gain had been mostly a matter of having no clue how much I was eating and how many calories were in a portion. Food logging helped me see that, and for me, portion control and food logging became easy, and while it's taken a year, I've lost 75 pounds.

For me, it's all about "Knowledge is power".

It doesn't have to be "all or nothing" or miserable deprivation, consigning yourself to an ascetic "eat this, not that" for eternity.

Embrace your power. Find your balance of portion control, low-calorie foods you like, and higher calorie foods you love and don't want to give up.

You can do it.
  • christabelle66
    christabelle66 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I found that just logging everything I ate for two weeks without trying to lose weight was incredibly eye opening. Small realistic goals are so important when you have a lot of weight to lose. I gained a ton of weight after having my thyroid removed and ballooned up to 233 pounds. I am trying to concentrate on five pounds at a time, and gradually ramping up my exercise. Someone told me that walking five minutes was better than walking 0 minutes. Little changes do help. I really like Judith Beck and Brian Wansink's books-- they don't tell you what to eat but have you focus on making small, doable changes that are realistic and sustainable. I am happy to be a buddy.
  • Wii_Player
    Wii_Player Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Your story makes me sad, as I know exactly what you are going through, but it is so doable. Start by making small changes and log everything that you eat, even if you go over your daily limits. Like some said, do not concentrate on how far you have to go, but take it in small chunks of 5 or 10 pounds. I personally would eat from all food groups, but I would make smarter choices, i.e., brown bread, pasta, rice, instead of white; half your plate being vegetables, etc.

I have 100+ pounds to lose and I am only on Day 11 and I can assure you that it gets easier each and every day. Even exercising gets easier and easier. Heck, my energy level is already so much better. If you are too tired at night and you cannot exercise at first, that's okay, do not put too much pressure on yourself. If you start with drinking your water and lowering your calorie intake, those are great first steps.

You can do this! There are so many good people here that will cheer you on and support you. One of those, being me.

All the best to you!
  • schandler1011
    schandler1011 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Staying away from processed foods is pretty key. Whole grains versus white, frozen foods to fresh. You'll get there! Let yourself have a treat from time to time (I think they say 80% of the time eat whole and unprocessed foods and then 20% of the time allow yourself the old foods you love). If you continue to deprive yourself, then you will relapse. I know that is what happened to me!!
  • dreayven
    Options
    I really want to thank you all for your support and your advice.

I will take it all on board, Its great to know i have a place to come when I
    feel like i need support or help.

thank you so so much every one of you