Gestational Diabetes

Options
Good Morning. I am 36, 5'4, 205lbs, 33 wks pregnant and have just been told I have gestational diabetes. Of course I am freaking out a little. I NEVER eat right! Fried, sweet, coated, dipped, chocolatey chip is always best for me. That being said my next appointment is not until next Wednesday. Too long for me to be just fin for myself. Is there a way to set my fitnesspal up according to diabetes or gestational? I know its a long shot but I had to ask. thanks. I am set at 1200 calories a day from the original diet plan I used on here long ago. Please help. thanks.

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure there is not a setting for gestational diabetes or even pregnancy at all. You probably should have asked your doctor about proper nutrition. Please don't just start eating at 1200 calories. That is too low for pretty much anyone and especially too low if you are pregnant. For now try just making better choices until you can talk to your doctor.
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    um, I probably would not recommend 1200 cals #1 due to your current weight and #2 due to the fact that you are pregnant. 1200 cals would put you in to large of a deficit and you will start losing weight, which I'm guessing your doc would not "approve" of. I am 5'3 215 and I lose at 1650 cals per day....I'm not sure what you want to set MFP up for...I know that some people w/ diabetes will tend to limit carbs and sugar. Yes you can set your daily goals up to reflect a lower % of cals from carbs/sugar....I have to remember how to do it and I will either respond back on here or in message :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Good Morning. I am 36, 5'4, 205lbs, 33 wks pregnant and have just been told I have gestational diabetes. Of course I am freaking out a little. I NEVER eat right! Fried, sweet, coated, dipped, chocolatey chip is always best for me. That being said my next appointment is not until next Wednesday. Too long for me to be just fin for myself. Is there a way to set my fitnesspal up according to diabetes or gestational? I know its a long shot but I had to ask. thanks. I am set at 1200 calories a day from the original diet plan I used on here long ago. Please help. thanks.

You need to talk to your dr. I have been through this with all my kids. The main idea is you need to forget anything with sugar as well as fat and fried foods, and balance your carbs throughout the day. From what I recall a typical menu would look something like:
    breakfast: Milk or yoghurt + unsweetened cereal
    mid morning snack: one serving of fruit
    lunch: lean meat or fish or a couple of eggs+ small serving of pasta/rice/bread/potatoes + salad or vegetables side dish
    afternoon snack: one serving of fruit
    dinner: similar to lunch
    before bed: milk or yoghurt or cheese
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I agree that the doctor should have given you at least a sheet with an explanation about what foods you should be eating. In short, women with gestational diabetes have high blood sugar. It is important to mention that this condition often causes babies to be born early and to weigh a lot. I agree with the other poster 1200 calories isn't enough, but you can take control by limiting foods that are known to raise your blood sugar. I found this site that explains it better and offers diet advice to help you with this journey. http://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/dietary_recommendations_for_gestational_diabetes/
  • WordsSexyGal
    Options
    Thank you all so very much. Yes @neaneacc I feel they could have at least given me SOMETHING. I am using myfitness pal to track how much sugar some carbs I eat turn to and if I end up eating any sugar @msCgray I dont know any other sites. :-/ and yes if you find out how I can change those ranges please let me now. Thank you all so very much!!
  • WordsSexyGal
    Options
    @agglaki perfect!! thanks!
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    ok...as far as customizing. Go to goals, then click on change goals. You will get the choice between custom and guided. Guided will have you enter your stats and select amount of weight you want to lose/gain, and will give you recommended cals/day. This splits the calories between fat, protein, and carbs (I cant recall the % for each). If you go the custom path you will tell MFP the cals that you want to consume per day, and you will have the chance to specify the % of cals that you want to come from protein, fat, carbs (ie: 20% carbs, 30% fat, 50% protein - just as an example).
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    There's a pregnancy forum, you might want to go on there to see what other ladies with GD have eaten. That being said, I'm surprised you haven't been given advice by a doctor.

I would definitely try and control it as GD can mean being induced early and monitored through the entire labour, and also a baby with a high birth weight.

If you google pregnancy calories or something, there's a website that tells you how many calories you should be eating based on your height and weight. 1200 is definitely not enough!

I had my third baby last year and was eating at near maintenance (for my pre preg weight) in my third trimester.

Good luck.
  • VeronicaanddMatt0605
    VeronicaanddMatt0605 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've had gestational diabetes 3 times. I would not count calories but eat to hunger. You are going to need to limit but not eliminate carbs. Try to eat protein and fats every time you eat along with the carbs. Once you get your glucose monitor you will know the types of foods that cause your blood sugar to be higher and can avoid them. See if you can go to a gd class I learned a lot from the one I went to.
  • ElleMuffin
    ElleMuffin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was also just diagnosed : (
    Heres a basic meal plan that I got from my dietician based on a 2000 cal diet, which is how many calories you probably should be eating based on your height/weight (which is very similar to mine, I'm 5'5 195 at 31 weeks)...I also had to wait a few days before I could get in to see the dietician to learn to test my blood sugar and get a diet plan. Hope this is helpful for you!

Breakfast: *no fruit/refined sugars
    36g Carbs
    13g Protein
    10g Fat

Snack: *no fruit/refined sugars
    21g Carbs
    14g Protein
    7.5 g fat

Lunch: *no fruit/refined sugars
    41g Carbs
    26g Protein
    17.5g Fat

Snack: *1 (4 oz) serving of fruit
    30g Carbs
    10g Protein
    5g Fat

Dinner: * 1 (4oz serving of fruit)
    55g Carbs
    35g Protein
    30g Fat

21g Carbs
    14g Protein
    7.5g Fat
  • klloyd11789
    klloyd11789 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know I'm about a month late on your post so hopefully you still see this. I just got diagnosed myself and it is pretty overwhelming - especially since I was already eating healthy. What you can eat depends on your size so a plan that works for one person will not work for another. One thing I wanted to share though is that MyFitnessPal is GD friendly. GD is based around carbs, proteins and fats and there is a place in the app to set your specific goals for each (after the doctor has given them to you). It's helping me a lot so far! Good luck :) You aren't alone...
  • e_bowie
    e_bowie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I am having problem with my weight got diabetes trying out this my fitness pal to see if it can hel me out with my weight
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor and figure out the percentages then plug them into your MFP nutritional goals. I'm currently going through this process with my doc. Still waiting for my 3 hour glucola test.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    ElleMuffin wrote: »
    I was also just diagnosed : (
    Heres a basic meal plan that I got from my dietician based on a 2000 cal diet, which is how many calories you probably should be eating based on your height/weight (which is very similar to mine, I'm 5'5 195 at 31 weeks)...I also had to wait a few days before I could get in to see the dietician to learn to test my blood sugar and get a diet plan. Hope this is helpful for you!

Breakfast: *no fruit/refined sugars
    36g Carbs
    13g Protein
    10g Fat

21g Carbs
    14g Protein
    7.5 g fat

Lunch: *no fruit/refined sugars
    41g Carbs
    26g Protein
    17.5g Fat

Snack: *1 (4 oz) serving of fruit
    30g Carbs
    10g Protein
    5g Fat

Dinner: * 1 (4oz serving of fruit)
    55g Carbs
    35g Protein
    30g Fat

21g Carbs
    14g Protein
    7.5g Fat

Nice example! @ElleMuffin ;)

I was just going to type in a reply that it's important to eat at every meal a carb/protein/fat. If one is diabetic and eats a piece of fruit only it turns quickly right into sugar as soon as it hits your blood stream not good for Diabetics. By adding the protein and fat along with that it slows that down. @WordsSexyGal

Take care :)