Calories in rice

Options
I can't understand the calorie count for rice.
1 cup of cooked or steamed rice is listed at around 200 or 250 calories.

But what does the cup measure?
Is it a cup of the grain before cooking or is it a cup of the finished cooked product?

1 cup of rice grain probably cooks to two or more cups in my 'fan wan' (rice bowl).

Can anyone confirm what the cup is measuring?

Thanks.

Terence

Replies

• mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    go with what's on the box, mine says 1/2 cup (44g dry rice about 3/4 cup cooked)
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I always thought it was the cooked amount since I wouldn't be eating the dry amount. So 1 cup would be 1 cup of prepared to eat rice, which is much less as dry rice.
  • EA1604
    EA1604 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It is once cup cooked (boiled) rice is about 205 calories. Try switching to brown rice or if you really want to make a difference skip it all together. Nutritionally it doesn't add much it just acts as a filler and more carbs.
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    If it's 200 cals for a cup of cooked rice, it means 1 cup of rice after it is cooked. So if you cooked the rice, scooped out a cup of it, that would be the 200 cals.
  • Shmookalink
    Shmookalink Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Take out the guess work and weigh your rice instead. I weigh EVERYTHING! :smile:
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Take out the guess work and weigh your rice instead. I weigh EVERYTHING! :smile:

I agree. I bought a scale and have been challenging the boxes serving portions, sometimes they are more and sometime less. it is good to know though.
  • terence
    terence Posts: 119
    Options
    Thanks guys ... but, how sad!

My curry and rice dish is nudging 600 calories.

Looks like that goes into the 'special treat for a good boy' list.

Terence
  • abbyko
    abbyko Posts: 108
    Options
    Thanks guys ... but, how sad!

My curry and rice dish is nudging 600 calories.

Looks like that goes into the 'special treat for a good boy' list.

Terence

I've been using Uncle Ben's Minute Rice Brown Rice, because, a) I never have the time to make regular brown rice, and b) 1/2 cup dry rice (about 1 cup cooked) is only 150 calories, and it only takes 10 minutes! Genius.