Daily Excertice Decision

Options
Morning All! I want to customize MFP to be as accurate as possible for me, so I need your help! I've read others' comments regarding what they log as excercise each day, or not. But i'm still not sure how best to record (or not) one of my daily activites.

On days I go to work (which is usually 4 or 5 days per week), I walk at least 1/4 of a mile carrying 3 laptops (don't laugh) which weigh 20-25 lbs and up and down at least 5 sets of stairs just to get from the parking deck to my office. Obviously, I have the same trip going back to my cars on those days. I'm torn as to whether I need to record that as excercise or not. I don't want to artificially set my calorie count too high, but on days that I don't go in to work, i miss a significant amount (in my opinion) of activity.

How would you handle this situation?

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Sounds like exercise to me! I would make sure your work settings are at least at active (if not very active) and it should all even out. good luck!
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    When you initially set mfp what did you set your daily activity level at? If you set it to strenuous I would not log it as exercise..but if you set it to little activity or whatever that one is called then I would log it as exercise on the days that you go to work :)
  • markhendy
    markhendy Posts: 5
    Options
    Personally, whilst this clearly is "activity" I'd not record it as exercise. There's an argument that this is just going about your daily business, whilst exercise is a concious activity to deliberately improve your body. That said, who am I to rain on your parade. Just be true to yourself.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    When you initially set mfp what did you set your daily activity level at? If you set it to strenuous I would not log it as exercise..but if you set it to little activity or whatever that one is called then I would log it as exercise on the days that you go to work :)

I think logging that would depend on what your daily activity level is. I am sed. activity because I sit at my desk all day. But I take walks on my two breaks and I log those as exercise :wink:
  • mattbryan
    mattbryan Posts: 147
    Options
    For my initial setup, I chose sedentary because I essentially sit at a desk all day. I will admit we have a large campus at work, so I walk farther just to go to various places, but for the most part, my work is non-strenuous.
  • michz
    michz Posts: 102
    Options
    I say don't count it. It is something you body is used to - part of your day. I only count things that are above my norm. So, if one day you forgot something in your car and had to go all the way back down and then up again, count that because the is abnormal. It is really your discretion. Everybody has their own answer. :-)
  • heatherseona
    heatherseona Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it in as exercise if that is what you were doing before you wanted to lose weight since that is part of your daily routine. That would be exercise in my case since I just haul my laptop about 50' from where I park my car and sit right down to my desk on the first floor. :wink:

Laura
  • HollyMcCaw
    Options
    I definitely agree with markhendy, be true to yourself. It seems like some people with log every tiny thing as exercise just to be able to eat more
  • mattbryan
    Options
    All, I agree with the "true to myself" concept....if I don't record it, then it could possibly impact my "at home" days, correct? I'm not trying to lie or trick the system (how would that help my weight...right?) I'm just trying to figure out the best way to make it work for me. For example, I'm working from home 2 days this week due to end of year programs at my kids' school. And times when I go on vacation....i'm not doing that activity any at all that week. What to do???? LOL
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I work 12 hr shifts on a day/night rotation. For one set of day/night shifts, I'm on the production floor. 100+ degree heat, heavy manual labor, and lots of stairs. For the next set, I'm in an air-conditioned control room, holding down a chair for 12 hrs. I really didn't know how to track it, so I just ignore it and hope the two extremes cancel each other out.
  • HollyMcCaw
    Options
    Personally for me I have my settings at sedentary. If I garden, do house work etc I don't log it. I only log exercise when I am making a conscious effort to exercise. I'm sure after a bit of trial you will figure out what works best for you too :smile:
  • mattbryan
    Options
    Seems like letting it go is probably the best option. Like jarrettd said...hopefully it will just work itself out in the end.