Gluten free and low cal?

Options
rememberforget
rememberforget Posts: 7 Member
I recently found out I have an allergy to gluten and I'm trying to lose weight. My biggest problem is mornings, I have to eat a filling breakfast, because I have supplements to take.

I'm not a huge fan of eggs, though I'll eat them. Also I have a local brand of sourdough that's gluten-friendly, but it's 120 calories a slice!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks. :)

Replies

• jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I do greek yogurt with different combinations of flavours (fruit, cocoa powder, maple syrup, peanut butter, protein powder, etc) on most days. Banana with peanut butter. Omelets. Some brands of oats are gluten-free if you tolerate oats. I mash together a banana and 2 eggs and baking powder, add desired flavours for flour free pancakes. You can buy all-purpose gluten free flour to make muffins.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Most morning I do a Think Thin protein bar and a piece of fruit or a shake made with banana, milk and whey protein powder. There is a brand of gluten free buckwheat hot cereal (Hodgson Mill) that I like to eat with fruit and maple syrup. I also eat a lot of eggs.
  • klbrowser
    klbrowser Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    For bread, I like Udi's millet-chia. It comes frozen, and I just defrost the portion I want. Gluten free bread usually doesn't have preservatives, so unless you're gonna eat it every day, it will last lomger in the freezer. Two slices are 150 calories. Hot cereal is filling. Glutenfreeda has instant oatmeal made with certified gluten free oats. Tasty and 190 calories per servimg. For only 131 calories per serving, there is Ancient Harvest quinoa hot cereal flakes. If you're not into eggs, maybe try yogurt? Chobani plain nonfat Greek yogurt is gluten free. One cup is 120 calories or so. I like to add some fruit to it and a bit of stevia. I just get store brand frozen fruit and defrost a measured portion; I like raspberries, blackberries and cherries. For cold cereal, I like KIND peanut butter whole grain clusters. Watch the portions, though: while a half cup serving has 10 grams of protein, it also contains 210 calories. One more idea: Van's gluten free ancient grains frozen waffles. Two waffles contain 210 calories. I heat them in my toaster (make sure you use one that has NOT ever had wheat-containing items in it) and then microwave them at medium heat for about 30 seconds to soften them a bit. I don't put anything on them as they are flavorful enough plain. They contain a little protein, but I'll have some reduced fat cheese with it to bring it up to a full serving of protein.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with lots of fruit and steel cut oats are my go-to's. I also eat a lot of eggs. One of my favourite meals is two slices of Glutino cheese bread, toasted with butter, fried eggs on top. Delish.
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I eat porridge oats made with boiling water most days. Measure out the oats (i love gf jumbo oats), mix in a dessertspoon spoon of sultanas, 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, and a tsp of honey. Cover with boiling water and leave for about 5 mins. So nice, and keeps me full for a long time
  • cabinfever61
    cabinfever61 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal. Bread that tastes good is hard to find. I like Canyon Bakehouse. It is also good toasted. Eggs are great. Rice Crispies. Grits.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Protein pancakes made with egg, protein, Quinoa flakes/flour, zucchini for bulk. Spread with nut butter...

Chia pudding
    Quinoa porridge
    Meat and vegies
    Dinner leftovers
    Smoothie made with protein powder and avo or nut butter
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Canyon Bakehouse and Udi's Oatmeal breads are the best I've found so far. I keep them in the freezer and then transfer them to the fridge when I start using them. GF breads and baked goods are just more caloric then most wheat based breads.
    Oatmeal, eggs, and fruit are breakfast staples at my house. I do occasionally cheat because I am still working on the whole GF diet thing (damn you celiac). But slowly getting better.
    Also Gem Wraps make a tasty low cal option as GF tortillas are pricey calorie wise.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Aldi carries GF wraps that are only 110 calories each. I know you don't really care for eggs, but how about a frittata with a lot of vegetables - I like mine with cabbage and bacon.
    For other meals I eat a lot of stews, chilis, soups, stuffed peppers, meatballs, nuggets (I pulse corn chex with spices for breadcrumbs and keep on hand). Basically I just cook a bunch of dishes, portion and freeze for easy meals during the week.
    Quick meals like stir fry or zucchini noodles or even roasted vegetables with some kind of meat are usually our go-to dishes. Sometimes I make enchilada casseroles with corn tortillas (almost like migas or rice and beans.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    The Corn Chex and spices.... brilliant!!! I am so going to use that!
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have celiac's, so every meal is GF for me! But my breakfast is generally fage 0% greek yogurt w/honey (under 200 cals) or a smoothie (pb, flax, banana, milk, low fat vanilla yogurt about 250 cals). When I have more time in the morning (i.e. weekends), it's either cereal (I'm partial to honey nut chex) or bacon and eggs.

Gotta love bacon for being gluten free!

ETA - just as a note, depending upon how sensitive you are, oats can be a problem for some people. it's ~hotly debated in the GF community, but oats and wheat are harvested together which potentially leads to cross contamination. This is more of a problem for people like me (Celiac). But if you are very concerned and want to try one of the oat suggestions in this thread, then make sure you buy oats that are specifically gluten free as they are specially harvested.
  • rieriesripped
    rieriesripped Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For breakfast id have to go on the yogurt train, i find that its just easier on the go.

As said earlier the chiboni plain is gluten free, for extra flavor I add half a portion of quinoa pops (cereal or topping) its in the cereal aisle usually and really low cal as well as gluten free! Add fruits if you find yourself still hungry.
    For toast i really love the GF three bakers breads, theyre frozen so i just lightly toast em and then nuke it for a bit in the microwave. Add some avo and some eggs, maybe some paprika and spice to taste. Also overnight oats is a good on the go thing as well, just as said above check the labels so no cross contaimination ! Smoothies and shakes are pretty fast, also for lunches try using lettuce instead of tortillas or wraps! Cuts cals alot!
  • Maryslim54
    Maryslim54 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just eat Chex cereal with some lactose free milk and honey or sugàr. Comes to around 300 calories and fills me for most of the day.
  • Physick
    Physick Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Look up recipes to 'Shakshuka'. It's a tomato and egg dish- amazing. As spicy as you want it- gluten free, dairy-free, low GI, low sugar.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    my daughter has celiac -- she does smoothies with greek yogurt & frozen fruit. Also the banana/ egg pancakes, although she adds a 1/4 cup gf flour to stabilize it. GF cereal, mixed with yogurt instead of milk -- more protein. GF toast with a little peanut butter or cream cheese (or make a sandwich with deli meat, just check to make sure it's gluten free!!). Quest / Kind / or other protein bars with a piece of fruit if she's in a rush. Protein shakes -- she uses slim fast, again for busy mornings (college student). Also eats eggs, but she likes them. Toufani (sp?) brand makes gf wraps that are tasty (according to her) AND are shelf stable & flexible (not thin/don't break easily like some others).
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    kramrn77 wrote: »
    The Corn Chex and spices.... brilliant!!! I am so going to use that!

http://whattofeedyourkids.blogspot.com/2012/03/gluten-free-on-budgetgf-breadcrumbs.html?m=1 is the recipe I follow. It's awesome! I keep a Tupperware of it in my pantry at all times.
  • acmiranda7
    acmiranda7 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Read the wheat belly by Dr William Davis Cardiologist. It isn't just gluten that we are allergic to, its gliceride as well. All grains and flours need to be eliminated completely. I'm on 30 days and down 10 lbs
  • BettieDiane
    BettieDiane Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease so I can relate. I normally don't eat breakfasts but when I do I usually have some home fries, rice chex, fruit, fruit smoothie... The possibilities are endless for breakfast really. I recommend allrecipes.com