I started a new job where I walk all the time but with NO weight loss

Options
Hi all.
I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction I need to go for weight loss. I've struggled with it for years. I'm 6' 180lbs and athletic as all hell (pardon the french) but I can never seem to get down to my goal weight of 160. I am considered "healthy" but near the edge according to my BMI. My main problem is my legs so I was actually pretty excited to start this new job where I was going to walk all the time since I was primarily at a sitting position at my old job. However, three month in and I've had absolutely NO weightloss. I went from walking minimal during the day to walking 10000-12000 steps a day. I don't get it. My diet hasn't changed. I was exhausted in the first couple weeks of the new gig and was always craving cereal when I got home at 3pm but that went away after a month so I'm so confused as to why I've lost no weight since my daily routine has changed dramatically.
Has anybody else ever had this issue? I at least was hoping to see change in my "thunder" thighs as I like to call them but zip, nada!

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Rachel

Replies

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    What's your calorie goal? Are you weighing your food?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    My diet hasn't changed.

That's the problem.

Weight loss is much more a function of diet than number of steps you take in a day.

• Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I would make sure you are getting plenty of hydration throughout the day too. With that many steps I would shoot for 12 cups daily because our bodies need it to function efficiently. Best of luck to you, that's a bunch of steps every day!
  • chanty09
    chanty09 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why you aren't seeing any difference. From my personal experience (I was a cocktail server) I walked about 5/6 miles a day with a tray, but my body was used to it. So I couldn't count that as exercise at all because it was part of my daily routine. To my dissatisfaction because at the end of the day I was to tired to do any other activity. I do know there is may possibly be better results if you, eat better, and or cut calories. That way you are be active and healthier.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    10,000 steps is typically around 7km, or 4.5 miles. At your size, that distance nets you an extra burn of about 225 calories, which is basically one Snickers bar, or a bowl of cereal.

Also not sure how "athletic as hell" is consistent with "exhausted" from what is really a pretty moderate walk.

• PneumaVision
    PneumaVision Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I average >10,000 steps per day, but that is just incidental to my fitness activities and nutrition. That is, some fitness activities like tennis add a lot of steps while others like weight lifting and rowing add none. Really I think ceoverturf has it right about diet being the more important thing. I'd not personally rate steps per se very high on my fitness activity menu--- not intense enough. The big value of Fitbit is it shows when you are totally sitting around doing nothing. Better even to pace around in circles than to be completely inert.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I get about 10,000 steps a day & this is with a desk job. I do commute by public transportation so that helps.

That said, in order to lose weight you have to eat less than you burn. Exercise is for fitness not really weight loss.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    My diet hasn't changed.

That's the problem.

Weight loss is much more a function of diet than number of steps you take in a day.

If a person's diet truly hasn't changed but they increase their activity level, they will lose weight. That being said, we have a tendency to adjust to changes. If we increase our activity, we tend to eat more. If we don't eat more, we may end up doing less of other activities, because we have this idea that our increase in activity will reduce our need to do other things, or because our increase in activity has tired us out and we don't feel like doing some of the activities we were doing before.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    its natural to eat more when you work out more, if youre not consciously making the choice NOT to

i bet thats whats happening.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your food?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Hi all.
    I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction I need to go for weight loss. I've struggled with it for years. I'm 6' 180lbs and athletic as all hell (pardon the french) but I can never seem to get down to my goal weight of 160. I am considered "healthy" but near the edge according to my BMI. My main problem is my legs so I was actually pretty excited to start this new job where I was going to walk all the time since I was primarily at a sitting position at my old job. However, three month in and I've had absolutely NO weightloss. I went from walking minimal during the day to walking 10000-12000 steps a day. I don't get it. My diet hasn't changed. I was exhausted in the first couple weeks of the new gig and was always craving cereal when I got home at 3pm but that went away after a month so I'm so confused as to why I've lost no weight since my daily routine has changed dramatically.
    Has anybody else ever had this issue? I at least was hoping to see change in my "thunder" thighs as I like to call them but zip, nada!

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Rachel

Try logging. However much you are eating now, that is maintenance. Eat less than maintenance.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    its natural to eat more when you work out more, if youre not consciously making the choice NOT to

i bet thats whats happening.

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have a job that has me walking about 14-15k steps a day. Plus a couple of hobbies that require some pretty intense physical activity. I was still 100 pounds over weight and had all kinds of difficulty loosing...

Until I started weighing and logging food. The first few weeks of that were very educational.

Now I am eating close to 3,000 calories a day depending on fitbit adjustments and loosing weight easily. I hate to think about just how much I was really eating before I started tracking calories correctly.

• lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I log about 150 exercise calories for 10000 steps. If I wasn't weiging my food, I could easily make up that difference in error.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Weight loss starts in the kitchen.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    I will bet that your diet has changed. Maybe subtle, but changed non the less and you're eating more than you really think.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png