How you count distance when running?

Options
I have a pedometer but I'm not sure if it counts well when I am running or jogging. How you all track how far you have run?

Replies

• markhendy
    markhendy Posts: 5
    Options
    I use the runkeeper app on my iphone. It logs time, distance and calories. The distance is done by GPS.
  • xaintes
    xaintes Posts: 129
    Options
    My fiance has a Garmin Forerunner which has a GPS to track distance, so I just go by that when we run together. Otherwise, I use mapmyrun.com to plan out my routes and track the distance.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I use the runkeeper app on my iphone. It logs time, distance and calories. The distance is done by GPS.

This
  • Smithrx
    Smithrx Posts: 3
    Options
    I use MapMyRide or Google Earth's "path" measurement. Works pretty well for me but requires some patience.
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    If you don't have a smartphone, you can go to mapmyrun.com and plot out your course for the correct distance.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options

This... or Endomondo (both available on most smart phones... and I use the free versions too
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options

I have an Android phone and also use the RunKeeper app. It rocks! Note that this won't work on a treadmill, because of the GPS.
  • melissa0001
    melissa0001 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I use cardio trainer on my android
  • diembroadhurst
    Options
    My fiance has a Garmin Forerunner which has a GPS to track distance, so I just go by that when we run together. Otherwise, I use mapmyrun.com to plan out my routes and track the distance.

yep I have one of these and its excellant, I have also used my phone or preplanned my route on map my run.
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    iMapmyrun app on the iphone, its awesome, it lets friends see your route live on the web when you are running, great for your supporters when you are running a long one for charity!!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper or just using gmapspedometer.com. Gmaps pedometer uses Google Maps and works great for plotting a route, checking out the elevation gain/loss, etc.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I use CardioTrainer on my phone, but it can be inaccurate is it loses satellite signal. MapMyRun is great for planning routes in advance.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I get in my car and drive it.
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    I use CardioTrainer on my phone, but it can be inaccurate is it loses satellite signal. MayMyRun is great for planning routes in advance.

I havent tried that facility yet, it might stop me getting lost and doing double the miles i intended!!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Oops, typo, it's http://www.mapmyrun.com/ :blushing:
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I use an app on my iphone called runkeeper. It's free! I used to think each city block was .1 mile, but since using this app I found out that was wrong! Or else my small town has weird city blocks...
  • GrampsWooha
    GrampsWooha Posts: 184
    Options
    on my fingers
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Before my iPhone (runkeeper), I'd drive the route I wanted to take or I'd go to parks where the mileage per laps are listed.
  • aprylkemper
    aprylkemper Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I use both mapmyrun.com (to ensure that I know how far I'm running around my neighborhood) and runkeeper on my smartphone
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Mostly I use google earth. I have verified many of my routes with runkeeper.com.

I've also carried my GPS with me or read what my running partner's GPS watch said.