Really sore, do I workout today?

Options
My goal is 5 days a week in gym. MWF weights machines/cardio. T Th cardio. I worked out hard yesterday, and really sore. Do I still do cardio, or give my body rest. 2nd week into it and pumped, but don't want to over do it.

Replies

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    If I'm really sore I generally give my body a day to recover and repair. If you still want to get in some cardio you can take a brisk walk and adjust the speed if you are feeling tired or sore- it's easy on your joints but you will still be burning some calories.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Moving will help. I like low impact cardio like walking and find that a nice walk helps alleviate soreness.
  • faithstimenow
    faithstimenow Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    walking around is best to help get over the soreness. Just don't push yourself too hard that leads to injury.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I would probably do some moderate effort cardio get the muscles nice and warm and do loads of stretches, invariably they'll feel better later. Probably wouldn't do any weights today though!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have a pool? Water workouts actually help the muscle damage of vigorous exercise (lifting or weight-bearing cardio like running) heal faster!
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    Generally I do cardio everyday and Lifting every otherday. Recovery days are important to muscle growth.
  • faithstimenow
    Options
    Does your gym have a pool? Water workouts actually help the muscle damage of vigorous exercise (lifting or weight-bearing cardio like running) heal faster!

Yes, it does have a pool! And I love swimming. Walking is my favorite cardio, tho I have been pushing out of my comfy zone.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My goal is 5 days a week in gym. MWF weights machines/cardio. T Th cardio. I worked out hard yesterday, and really sore. Do I still do cardio, or give my body rest. 2nd week into it and pumped, but don't want to over do it.

When I'm sore (but not in pain from injury), I find that doing some light cardio or stretching, like yoga, can help me feel better faster.

• faithstimenow
    Options
    Thank you, I went for a small walk, and I am super sore today..lol...I really worked out hard on Monday! Do I lift thru today's soreness?
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Why not do M-W-F = Resistance training

T- TH = Cardio?

and weekend = slow cardio (walking)?
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    If I'm really sore I generally give my body a day to recover and repair. If you still want to get in some cardio you can take a brisk walk and adjust the speed if you are feeling tired or sore- it's easy on your joints but you will still be burning some calories.

^this^

• faithstimenow
    Options
    I think I am going too... :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    walking or very basic stretching
    rest days don't have to be completely resting
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    There's a key difference between soreness and pain and very important to know the difference. For sore muscles you want to keep them moving - not heavy resistance, but some light cardio will help the healing process. Personally I feel much better after putting in a good cardio session and a good stretch.

For pain - minimize motion and let it heal. Leave that area alone!
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Get the cardio in, make sure you're eating enough protein and that will help with the soreness.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    DOMS, gentle exercise.

If your pee is brown, DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    [quote="If your pee is brown, DON'T DO THAT AGAIN![/quote]

Words to live by
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Do some light exercise I was super sore from a heavy leg day and felt so much better after a slow run I also worked the upper body
  • boondocksaint1985
    boondocksaint1985 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes. Soreness (technically called Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) is merely a sign that you body isn't used to what you did. This is fine. You should workout again today, and make sure to properly warm up. You'll probably feel less sore after working out, and notice that DOMS decreases in intensity over the next couple of weeks.

Just be cautious that the sourness does not lead to real injury like on the bench, or if you swim in open water. Good luck!