Do you have a mantra?

Options
cln714
cln714 Posts: 174 Member
This is my second time around here on MFP. Last summer I did great. Then over the winter I undid everything. :( boo! So, here I am again. I noticed that I'm going at it a different way this time. One thing I noticed is that, everytime I am wanting to snack at night or give up during a workout, these words go thru my head, "THIS IS GOING TO PAY OFF!!" When I think of that, I have a whole new sense of dedication. It really seems to be working. :)

It got me curious if all of you have a mantra. What is it you think of that gets you thru the though times?

Replies

• bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    My mantra: "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels." :)
  • SailorMoon007
    SailorMoon007 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My mantra is "Let's kick this pig!". Another MFP member posted it before, and I love it!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Read my sig!
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    No, I don't but now I am going to need to come up with one. I'm doing this because everybody in my family is unhealthy, and I was starting to go down that path. I want to live a long, happy, fit life.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Mine, which I stole somewhere from the internet is:

"The only person who can stand in my way is me.... and I can take her! "
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Mine is "suck it up!" It's hard to do sometimes when you feel so justified, like being too tired after work to exercise, but it stops a pity party in its tracks.
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    This is my mantra for not skipping workouts :"Losing weight helps you look good in clothes. Exercise helps you look good naked!"
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I chant "I will not give up" in my head when doing the last couple of minutes of C25K and feeling like my lungs are going to explode or I am going to vomit on the treadmill, does that count?? :tongue:
  • GCPgirl
    GCPgirl Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    "You gain strength, courage & confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. Do the thing you think you can not do." - Eleanor Roosevelt
  • ncwmark
    ncwmark Posts: 40
    Options
    When I'm facing a food temptation, I stare it down and say "What I want, that can't give me". Seems to help.
  • cln714
    Options
    Wow, these are good!! I'm going to print these out and read thru them when I'm struggling.
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The thought that is keeping me from cookies and from not going to the gym is my weigh in day - I just think if I eat the fatty food, or a I'm do my work out and I step on the scale to see a result that I didn't want I can't turn back time and undo eating the food or not doing my work out, whereas if I go to the gym and eat right, whatever the scale says, at least I know I've done everything I could.

LONG WINDED so not really a mantra but a mindset for me.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I chant "I will not give up" in my head when doing the last couple of minutes of C25K and feeling like my lungs are going to explode or I am going to vomit on the treadmill, does that count?? :tongue:

LOL I know how you feel! I also think of Jillian's "unless you faint, puke, or die - keep moving!", which sounds harsh, but it's kind of true for me - it's my mindset! I'll quit if I 'think' I can't do it - then my mind is limiting me, not my body!

Also, "it's hard to beat a person that never gives up" - Babe Ruth.
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been hearing the chorus from Young the Giant's "My Body" in my head when things get hard.

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQYpF2pCkLI
  • cln714
    Options
    Lately I've been hearing the chorus from Young the Giant's "My Body" in my head when things get hard.

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQYpF2pCkLI

That's great! Thank you.
  • ruenectar
    ruenectar Posts: 25
    Options
    I think my signature says it all :)
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    "Crawling is acceptable. Falling is acceptable. Puking is acceptable. Tears are acceptable. Pain is acceptable. Injury is acceptable. Quitting is unacceptable."
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
    This one really helps motivate me to pack meals and snacks and do food prep ahead of time so I'm not stuck with bad choices.