Scared of my son's birthday party!

Options
I'm back on track with my eating for the first time in quite a while, I've had 3 good days but now we're having a birthday party for my son tomorrow. Today I have to make cupcakes, and already my mind is fighting with itself as to why I can have one, and why I can't. I have the worse sweet tooth ever! I'm actually having pretty bad anxiety over this, but I suppose that's a good sign because before I would have had one, then two, then four, without a second thought at the time, or beforehand, I would just have to deal with the guilt later. I'm actually scared to go make breakfast for some (irrational) reason, like it's going to destroy what little control I have if I put anything in my mouth. At this point all I can think to do is chew minty gum the whole time I'm making the cupcakes. People, give me lots and lots of reasons as to why I *can't* have a SINGLE cupcake, today or tomorrow, becuase I'm running out of reasons myself! I'm not feeling deprived of sweets by any means, so I really don't want the temptation in my house, at least until I went a few weeks without having them, it's way to early for me to consider a cheat, and have it be nothing but a cheat (as opposed to a complete diet derailment)

Replies

• sfallai
    sfallai Posts: 1
    Options
    Have one, it won't kill you. Note that I said one, and only one. Either have one today, or have one at the party, not both.

The problems start when one becomes two, then three, then four, etc. Have one and enjoy every bite of it, it'll keep you sane in the long run.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Tell yourself if you are good all day, you can have one cupcake at the end of the party. Make sure you save one away from the others so that it doesn't get eaten. At the end of the party, immediately throw out any extras so you won't be tempted :)
  • Brandie6004
    Brandie6004 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It's your son's birthday, enjoy a cup cake :D If you had 3 good days then enjoy one not-so good day.

I know it's hard, I have a mouth full of sweet teeth! for something healthier I like blue diamond almonds dark chocolate mint and butter toffee (butter toffee is the sweeter of the two I think and they've helped me ALOT when wanting something sweet). Also, I don't do "cheat days", it makes me feel like I'm doing something bad or wrong. I eat what I want, I just don't eat so much of it. I'll have one week that I'm really "good" and stay w/in or just under my allowed calories and the next week I'm over by like 100 to 200 (sometimes as much as 400 over!) I keep in mind if i've been making "good" and/or healthy choices over the past few days and if I've been working out how much... I've been at this for almost 3 months now, and it does get easier and before you know it, one cupcake will totally take care of that sweet tooth!

Enjoy your son's birthday! ...and don't worry too much about it today. :)
  • fidgekitty
    fidgekitty Posts: 43
    Options
    I guess that's what I'm scared of, have just "one" and giving myself that taste, and it killing my resolve, and it's been an issue in the past. My husband tells me "just don't have more than one, it's easy" but it's like I constantly think about having more later, and finding ways to sneak it so that I don't have to feel guilty if someone else saw me eat it. I used to think the whole addiction to sugar and refined carbs thing was crap, but now that I've become overweight and am trying to stop eating them, I'm rethinking my opinion about the thought of addiction. When my husband quit smoking, the whole time he was having the same emotions and cravings I do when I'm trying no to eat something. It's like it completely consumes me. So I'm worried that this is like a smoker trying to quit smoking, who wants just one more with their friends and then it's cold turkey, but it won't stop at just one.
  • fidgekitty
    Options
    Oh and I'm stressing today because today I've gotta make the cupcakes. It's my first exposure to temptation lol :smokin:
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    have one, get it over with... if you go off track today or tomorrow, just get back with it after... My son's 5y b-day party, I ate candy, cake and everything else over the rainbow, lol and next time got back on track and I lived and did not eat like crazy after... If you want it and can only think of it, eat it and just calculate your calories or not, heck it's a party and you are working hard on getting the things ready, if you don't log you eating we'll understand, but promise me you'll get on track on sunday, no excuses
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    oh I know I was craving something real bad the other day, gave it and was not even happy with the taste, so could happen
  • fidgekitty
    Options
    That's true, I doubt I'm going to undo half a week's good eating and working out with one day if I don't completely binge, and if I don't relax I'll probably obsess about it worse than if I just have a damn cupcake! lol
  • Brandie6004
    Brandie6004 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I guess that's what I'm scared of, have just "one" and giving myself that taste, and it killing my resolve, and it's been an issue in the past. My husband tells me "just don't have more than one, it's easy" but it's like I constantly think about having more later, and finding ways to sneak it so that I don't have to feel guilty if someone else saw me eat it. I used to think the whole addiction to sugar and refined carbs thing was crap, but now that I've become overweight and am trying to stop eating them, I'm rethinking my opinion about the thought of addiction. When my husband quit smoking, the whole time he was having the same emotions and cravings I do when I'm trying no to eat something. It's like it completely consumes me. So I'm worried that this is like a smoker trying to quit smoking, who wants just one more with their friends and then it's cold turkey, but it won't stop at just one.

Yeah... been there... I know that logging everything really been helping me and earlier whenn I would cave in and then I logged it, I'd feel bad once I saw my calories and other numbers go red. ...but I use it as a learning tool. I look back and see what choices I could have made differently. To help w temptations, I asked my husband not to buy things that I like (he does the shopping) I will NOT drink diet coke, if I want a coke then I want COKE ;p and now here I am 3 months later and I have had 3 tiny coke cans in my fridge for WEEKS. ...and I LOVE LOVE LOVE oreo's ...mmmmm.... (can't stand the fake ones! they taste different to me) 3 months ago I would have SO eaten at least half the package over the course of the day! now, they sit in the pantry, and were bought 2 weeks ago and I've only had like 4! ....so the moral of the story is I had to keep it away until I felt I had kicked the habit.

Here's a couple of links you might find interresting (hopfully helpful)...

http://www.examiner.com/diets-in-omaha/are-you-addicted-to-food-good-morning-america-report-says-you-may-be

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodNews/story?id=8185137&page=1
  • fidgekitty
    Options
    Thanks everyone,
    I decided to allot myself extra calories so that I'm not beating myself up over a cup cake, and other food festivites. I'll make sure I get in my workout and be back on track first thing Sunday. I'll attempt to log in my calories over the next two days, I think that'll keep me accountable to enjoy my food but not completely overdo it!
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Have a cupcake! The issue is in not doing something about it! Trade it for something else...if you give yourself a daily snack...make it the cupcake...or if you think you will over shoot your calorie goal...take a walk or excercise in another way to work it off! It is all about choices. Life should be fully enjoyed so we shouldn't deprive ourselves of things on occasion but...the thing to remember is that we will more FULLY enjoy life by choosing to be healthy.Choose healthy foods when time to eat...on special occasions choose enjoying yourself