high carb problem

Options
Just finished reading a great book ~ "The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet" by Dr. Richard F. Heller . . .It makes good sense. Limiting your carb intake (not more than 5 grams of carbs) at Breakfast and Lunch (5 carbs per meal and plenty of protein and, then,at dinner having a regular meal of : example meat,veggie and starch (potato, ) . Reasoning is that carbs release insulin which promotes fat to form. So, with very low carb intake at Breakfast and Lunch, not much insulin is released, thereby limiting fat cells from filling up. Having a regular dinner (even dessert, sometimes) is something to look forward to! It works for me !!

Replies

• angelworm
    angelworm Posts: 35
    Options
    carbs are fillers. imagine how much more yummy steak you could have by limiting your potatos. :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I believe in balance with everything. For me no carbs is not realistic.
  • Tracey_Smith
    Tracey_Smith Posts: 199
    Options
    I would imagine restricting carbs when you workout a lot would have a detrimental effect on how fast, how long the workout would last. I'll admit to prefering a low carb eating plan, it makes me feel less bloated but I need the energy that carbs provide.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    5 grams? Wow, that's so little. Diabetics eat more carbs than that.
  • breahroxanne
    Options
    Pasta is a bad carb that I really had a problem limiting...UNTIL.... I discovered spaghetti squash! For those who've never heard of this, it's literally a yellow squash called 'spaghetti squash' and you can find it in almost any grocery store. It replaces actual pasta very nicely and you seriously can't tell the difference. My husband actually likes it.....and that's really saying something!

Breah
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Just finished reading a great book ~ "The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet" by Dr. Richard F. Heller . . .It makes good sense. Limiting your carb intake (not more than 5 grams of carbs) at Breakfast and Lunch (5 carbs per meal and plenty of protein and, then,at dinner having a regular meal of : example meat,veggie and starch (potato, ) . Reasoning is that carbs release insulin which promotes fat to form. So, with very low carb intake at Breakfast and Lunch, not much insulin is released, thereby limiting fat cells from filling up. Having a regular dinner (even dessert, sometimes) is something to look forward to! It works for me !!

That's a low carb diet. Low carb diets can have serious issues. It can mess with your insulin sensitivity, causing you to get fat just by looking at a carb. "LOWER" carb diets are fine, but 5 carbs per meal... that's very low. I try to eat around 100grams 2 days in a row, then on day 3, i just let loose and eat as many carbs as I want, with reason. Not going to eat a pound of ice cream. But If i feel like something sweet, maybe half a thing of ben and jerries, i suffer no undue stress or guilt.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I believe in balance with everything. For me no carbs is not realistic.
    [/quote

I agree I did atkins for a long time and was successful but then got killer kidney stones that had to be blasted into smaller pieces to pass and it was due to too much protein and not enough balanced foods

So for me limiting carbs is ok since I have PCOS and insulinn resistance but 5 carbs per meal is WAAAAAY too low but that is just me with the kidney issues. a nutritionalist gave me a plan of 30-45 per meal of carbs and 15 for 1 snack and 0 for the other 2 snacks so basically veggies and proteins and this should keep a blance and gave me good results.

here at mfp no results yet and it is way over a month in fact this morning I am no longer 170s I am 181!
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    Definitely update us on how that works out. Since your body wants carbohydrates as your main source of energy you might be a bit lethargic throughout the day.