Dumb question about buying clothes online and sizing

Options
glassyo
glassyo Posts: 7,616 Member
I hate shopping so I've taken to buying clothes online (which I never really aspired to do but oh well) :)

I'm looking at shorts and the difference between hips and waist is 10" on the size charts but the difference between my hips and waist is about 7 1/2".

Do I get closer to my hip size with the smaller waist or the waist size with the larger hip?

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I'm always on amazon gawking at clothes xD
  • glassyo
    edited July 2015
    Options
    LOL I stick to my staple clothing stores...walmart and target. Mayyyyyyyyyybe venture off to old navy/the gap/banana republic/etc but they're usually too expensive for what I want to buy.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Buy your hip size. You always want to fi the largest part of you. If the waist is too big you can always have the dry cleaners tailor them.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Buy your hip size. You always want to fi the largest part of you. If the waist is too big you can always have the dry cleaners tailor them.

Yep. The tailor is your friend. It's very inexpensive too.
  • glassyo
    Options
    Well, that just makes sense. Sheesh. :)

Thanks. :)
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

Yes this. ^^
    I sometimes buy Shorts or Skirts one size bigger on purpose....so they rest slightly above my Hips.
    This is also good if the item is a bit short, as wearing them lower makes them appear longer.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you buy it to fit your waist, then it will be baggy in the hips / butt. If you buy to fit the hips, it will feel tight in the waist. You have to pick the lesser of the two evils. This is NOT an easily or cheaply tailored fix. While it is easy to bring in a waist, it is not easy to make the rest of it fit smaller.

Personally, I prefer to fit the hips because I hate baggy clothes and think they make people look bigger. Also, if you can wear junior sizes you should consider that. Junior sizes are made for people with narrower hips so the difference between waist and hips is smaller. If you can't fit juniors, then I have found that lower rise pants/shorts fit MUCH better on me. I'm not talking expose your thong low rise, just a little lower than "normal" rise. These two options have pretty much fixed the problem for me. Losing weight has also helped, but I am still not a 10 inch difference in the lower body.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Buy your hip size
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I buy pants, shorts and skirts with stretchy waists because my waist size is a bigger clothing size than my hips. If I bought clothing that fit my waist (the bigger size), the hip, butt, and thigh area looks baggy and terrible. I have bought maternity pants and shorts and as long as the waist is covered they look normal and fit great everywhere. I have also just gotten normal size elastic waist pants that fit my hip size and they do not need any tailoring at all. Bonus is that the stretchy waist pants that fit my smaller hips still fit me even as my waist is getting smaller so I don't have to buy as many new clothes.

If your hips are the bigger measurement get pants to fit that and then get them taken in at the waist. That isn't hard to do.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    By the larger size.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Buy something else entirely that will fit you properly. (Like a skirt.)

I'm doing skirts and dresses this summer, myself. SO much easier.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I buy pants, shorts and skirts with stretchy waists because my waist size is a bigger clothing size than my hips. If I bought clothing that fit my waist (the bigger size), the hip, butt, and thigh area looks baggy and terrible. I have bought maternity pants and shorts and as long as the waist is covered they look normal and fit great everywhere. I have also just gotten normal size elastic waist pants that fit my hip size and they do not need any tailoring at all. Bonus is that the stretchy waist pants that fit my smaller hips still fit me even as my waist is getting smaller so I don't have to buy as many new clothes.

If your hips are the bigger measurement get pants to fit that and then get them taken in at the waist. That isn't hard to do.

Depends on the skill of the person doing it. I've tried this (ie paid "professionals") and had things hacked, lose shape, etc. It's not always a doddle to take a waistband apart, and the shortcuts look crappy
  • tomatoey
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    If you buy it to fit your waist, then it will be baggy in the hips / butt. If you buy to fit the hips, it will feel tight in the waist. You have to pick the lesser of the two evils. This is NOT an easily or cheaply tailored fix. While it is easy to bring in a waist, it is not easy to make the rest of it fit smaller.

Personally, I prefer to fit the hips because I hate baggy clothes and think they make people look bigger. Also, if you can wear junior sizes you should consider that. Junior sizes are made for people with narrower hips so the difference between waist and hips is smaller. If you can't fit juniors, then I have found that lower rise pants/shorts fit MUCH better on me. I'm not talking expose your thong low rise, just a little lower than "normal" rise. These two options have pretty much fixed the problem for me. Losing weight has also helped, but I am still not a 10 inch difference in the lower body.

I go low- or medium-rise (harder to find) for pants and shorts too, but it means I have to be careful about tops :/
  • glassyo
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Buy something else entirely that will fit you properly. (Like a skirt.)

I'm doing skirts and dresses this summer, myself. SO much easier.

I'm done with skirts. You have to wear real shoes or sandals with them and I'm more of an athletic shoe all the time girl these days. And NO ONE wants to see my feet. :)