Appetite

Options
Often I have little appetite, other times it's just overwhelming. I still manage to stay within my calories, but it's unpleasant and gets me down. What do you do to minimize your appetite on hard days? (PS, I do not consider "weigh and log your food" an appropriate response). Thanks!

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I make sure to fill my calorie allotment with foods that are more filling on those days. For me, this means cutting out fruits except for bananas (not sure why, but there's a small population of people who get hungier after eating fibrous fruits like apples and peaches); and eating more lean protein. I also curb my carbs just a bit so I have more room for higher-protein foods.

On a typical day, for dinner, I might eat:

1 peach/nectarine/apple, or a serving of strawberries
    150 grams of rice
    3 oz of chicken breast
    1 ice cream treat

On one of those high-appetite days, I might eat:

40 grams of nuts
    60 grams of rice
    9 oz of chicken breast
    2 cheese sticks

I'm not being exact here, but it's roughly the same calorie count.

ETA: There's nothing wrong with going a little over on your calorie count on some days either - as long as you balance it out somehow. There are days when I have a very weak appetite and I'll end up a little low. These balance out days when my calorie allotment just isn't enough and I need a little more. Most veteran MFP posters seem to go by the week's average instead of judging every individual day as pass/fail; I've started doing this too and it's been working.
  • PSec
    PSec Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I get so nervous that one bad day will turn into 2, then 20, and I'll fall off the wagon. I think eating high fiber foods on hard days and treats on the easy days will help. I just need to do it even when I'm hangry and just want to shove whatever in my mouth.
  • berndanddana
    berndanddana Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be honest, if I'm hungry, I eat. Most days I am in a calorie deficit. I'd say 6 out of 7 I'm usually under my goal, so if I get hungry, I'll eat a tuna sandwich or tomato sandwich, it doesn't blow my diet out of the water and it's just enough to squelch the hunger pain.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    PSec wrote: »
    Often I have little appetite, other times it's just overwhelming. I still manage to stay within my calories, but it's unpleasant and gets me down. What do you do to minimize your appetite on hard days? (PS, I do not consider "weigh and log your food" an appropriate response). Thanks!

Do you drink water (or coffee, tea, etc)? Do you get enough fat and protein for satiation and vegetables that provide bulk? Is your calorie goal appropriate (i.e. is your weight loss target per week too aggressive for your stats)?
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Eat a little less when you're not hungry, eat a little more when you are. I base my calorie goal on the weekly average, it works for me as my appetite varied as well.