Anyone use Slim Fast??

Options
I'm hoping to jump start a bit of weight loss this summer by using Slim Fast. Has anyone used it? I know it's likely not the most healthy way to do this but I need to see some fast results and, well, I'm a little desperate.

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Why do you need fast results? Given the ticker you have posted, you probably can only expect .5 to 1 pound/week, unless you are quite obese. Trying to push it faster isn't a great idea.

Slimfast or other meal replacement shakes aren't particularly effective. A lot of times people use them for a meal but snack or overeat at other meals.

Have you set up your goals in MFP and determined your calorie target. Start with that and get a plan together to log your meals (real food or shakes) accordingly. The deficit will take the weight off, not the shake.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I tried it. Honestly, I found that having a choclate shake for breakfast woke my sweet tooth up something fierce and all I wanted after was more sweet stuff. I never lost a single pound doing it and constantly felt deprived.
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Quick results are satisfying..BUT they're not healthy results. Nor are they usually lasting.
    I'm just saying, and this is coming from a junk food junkie, slim fast and everything like it is just jacked up chemicals disguised as being healthy for you.
  • mountainguru
    mountainguru Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks bpetrosky! I'll be logging my food and shakes for sure. I didn't post a ticker so not sure what you're seeing in my post. But thanks for the advice. I know it's good advice. I tried on some clothes today and was amazed at how much bigger I've become in the last 2 months, hence, my desperation.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I've tried it a few times in the past, but each time, I never bought more supplies after I finished what I initially bought. Food is just sooooooo much better.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Yes, have used both shakes and meal replacement bars in early stages very succsesfully.
    as a quick tool to aid calorie control until you get a handle on diet,its fine.
    good luck.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Thanks bpetrosky! I'll be logging my food and shakes for sure. I didn't post a ticker so not sure what you're seeing in my post. But thanks for the advice. I know it's good advice. I tried on some clothes today and was amazed at how much bigger I've become in the last 2 months, hence, my desperation.

Take a deep breath. It's better to get to your goal in a healthy state, and trying to push it too fast will have you at such a low calorie target that you'll be miserable.

A did a quick check to your profile and there is a ticker there showing 35 lbs to your goal. Many of the helpful people here will look for information in the profile so we can try to give appropriate advice to your individual situation.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I think if you check the ingredients on the label you will find that Slim Fast is basically sugar, more sugar, and some thickening agents. Not really something conducive to giving you nourishment that is going to help turn off hunger.

I recommend avoiding it.

Meh. It has vitamins, protein, carbs, and fat. Sugar is the first ingredient, but the ace-k and aspartame are what ruin it for me. I can't see having a chocolate shake and having it taste like blech sweeteners.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I didn't post a ticker so not sure what you're seeing in my post
    It's on your profile. Says you want to lose 36 lb.
    At first, you could probably lose 1 lb a week, but pretty soon that's going to slow to 0.5 lb. As you get closer
    to your healthy goal weight, the rate of loss will slow more. Yes, it's frustrating.

I've had SF in the past. Looking at the label now, it's got LOTS of sugar.
    Probably wouldn't be bad once in a while if you're really pressed for time for breakfast, but it's better to plan
    ahead, get up 5 min earlier to at least make a sandwich. (Or keep healthy foods in the fridge, things you can grab
    & throw in a lunch sack.)

If you want something healthy & quick to drink, blend frozen fruit with skim (or soy, or almond) milk.
    Maybe throw in some nuts or even a couple eggs for protein.
    Oatmeal gives good texture.
    Add vanilla or cocoa powder, cinnamon, etc.

Eating real food, in reasonable quantities, is cheaper than meal replacement shakes.

Read this:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

And this:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819925/the-basics-dont-complicate-it/p1

And this:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212/youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

And this:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1

This has helpful info too:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-setting-goals-667045
  • mountainguru
    mountainguru Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to do it and see how I feel. For me it's a convenience thing when I'm busy working. I also have to work on becoming more organized in order to make my meals...very hard for me.

I didn't read the label very closely. If it's got aspartame in it I'm not drinking it!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to do it and see how I feel. For me it's a convenience thing when I'm busy working. I also have to work on becoming more organized in order to make my meals...very hard for me.

I didn't read the label very closely. If it's got aspartame in it I'm not drinking it!

Well, there's Carnation Instant Breakfast. Probably more calories, but also more deliciousness.

• Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I've tried everything under the sun, but nothing worked as quickly and as efficiently as calorie counting. 51.5 pounds and going...
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I tried Slim Fast. It about made me crap myself to death. Truefax.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I did Slim Fast years ago, lost weight, but also ended up getting really sick from it and was in the hospital for a while. I gained all my weight back and more within a year. This time around, I am losing weight with choosing healthier choices and eating in a deficit I have lost 42 lbs in just over 4 months, still have a long way to go, but I am feeling great. Good luck in your journey
  • triciab79new
    triciab79new Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I didn't use slim fast but I did use a meal shake early on to help me avoid grabbing the wrong meal when I failed to plan ahead. I soon learned that planning was a must and I stopped needing them
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Surely there's other meal replacement shakes out there with better/healthier ingredients than slim fast? ?
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of a Slim Fast occasionally..to help me get 'back in line' with good habits. I don't like the taste of a lot of the other brands. I have used them to replace breakfast ( a day or 2...every once in a while) for over 20 years. Or whenever they first came out. I am old(er) lol. I remember when the only diet drink was 'TAB'. haha
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    "I need to see some fast results"

These are the fast results you will see on Slim Fast
    - fast depletion of you money
    - fast to fall of the unsustainable weight loss program
    - fast to regain any of the weight you lost

You will learn nothing and achieve little.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Shudder. Meal replacement shakes like Slim Fast are just grim.

Use MFP. Stop being in a rush and you'll thank yourself for it. I promise.