Personal trainer or not!?

Options
Samm471
Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
Okay I know some personal trainers and I say some because some don't have a clue as to what their doing but your workout can be majorly improved with a PT and possibly quicker results. Does anyone believe you can do this journey and get the results you want without one? I personally can't afford a personal trainer but I'm enjoying the journey so far on my own and I've lost nearly a stone in weight .. Can you reap good results without a personal trainer just through hard work , dedication and proper nutrition? Just looking for people's personal opinions. Thanks :)

Replies

• Samm471
    Options
    Oh and also doing some homework of your own can help, do you guys/girls agree?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course. I'd bet *most* people do NOT have PTs.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    This is a tough debate for me. Being a personal trainer I want everybody to consider using one. But being a DIY kind of person too, with a little effort to learn and trial and error, one can find what works for them. I do know that even very knowledgeable trainers, use a trainer/coach to help them meet their goals. I also think more people could afford a trainer, but choose not to budget their money accordingly.
  • Samm471
    Options
    I understand what your saying but for some people they may have their money tied up if they have kids or things to pay or mortgages and things that just doesn't leave them enough to get a PT I'm not saying I don't agree with them if I had the money I would personally get one myself I justbwondered if you can still get the same results if you don't use a personal trainer :)
  • rmitchell239
    rmitchell239 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You do not need a personal trainer to lose weight or get strong. Do you need one? Depends on what do you want to do. Are you going to be using free weight exercises for the first time? Get a PT. First time using machines at a gym? Get a PT. Are you going to be doing Olympic lifting like squats, cleans, snatches etc. Get a PT and one that is highly familiar with such movements. Can you motivate yourself to workout on your own, doing exercises you are familiar with? You won't need a PT for that.
  • Samm471
    Options
    Well I've been going to the gym on and off for about 3 years but the past 7 weeks I've totally dedicated myself to it and will continue to now that I'm seeing big changes , I use weights I do squats I do cardio aswell :)
  • Samm471
    Options
    Over those 3 years I just wasn't dedicating myself didn't have much knowledge about nutrition etc but now that I do I've lost weight feel more healthier and stronger I know 7 weeks isn't long but I'm pleased with my results :D
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs the first time around without a PT. I began running, read a lot of books and changed my eating habits. This time around I have a PT because I am doing strength work in addition to the running and have pre-existing back and hip issues that I don't want to aggrivate. I think it depends on the person and what their heath history is and goals are as previous posters have said.
  • Samm471
    Options
    kimlight2 wrote: »
    I lost 40 lbs the first time around without a PT. I began running, read a lot of books and changed my eating habits. This time around I have a PT because I am doing strength work in addition to the running and have pre-existing back and hip issues that I don't want to aggrivate. I think it depends on the person and what their heath history is and goals are as previous posters have said.

I totally agree with you especially if like yourself there is some injury issues I guess that's where a PT has the knowledge in what you should and shouldn't be doing in order to give you maximum results and not further injure yourself.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I have a few friends who are PTs and I seek out their advice whenever I hit a block or need advice on proper form. If you can't motivate yourself they are invaluable. Even if you do they can motivate you to reach those loftier goals.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I have a few friends who are PTs and I seek out their advice whenever I hit a block or need advice on proper form. If you can't motivate yourself they are invaluable. Even if you do they can motivate you to reach those loftier goals.

That's the thing... I think personal trainers are way more valuable for people who are not self-starters/self-motivated. I can see them being useful from that perspective. And if it fits your budget, then by all means, do it.

I, personally, would never pay that kind of money for someone else to motivate me... But I'm wired as a self-starter.

As for the actual programs and lifting and form: a lot of great programs are available for free. You can learn the correct form online (YouTube: Thank You). You can get people at your gym to check your form, and you can post videos online for people to check your form. You can learn the lifts and do the form correct on your own (this is the route I went).

For me, this was a no-brainer. I didn't have the kind of money for a personal trainer, but I was highly motivated and have no issues doing my own research. I could afford a basic gym membership, so I found a great gym, started with StrongLifts 5x5, and went from there.

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I love the "push" and accountability of working with a personal trainer. But I can't afford it. I have found a great gym that does small group circuit/HIIT sessions with an instructor. So all you do is show up for class and the instructor puts us through a tough workout. I love not having to motivate myself.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The bottom line is this -

Personal trainers can most definitely play a role, and can most definitely be valuable. They can also be horrible and detrimental. Whether or not you *need* one will vary person to person depending on their goals, preferences, tendencies, ability, etc. If you do need one, take the time to find one who is a good fit based on personalities and how well their knowledge/expertise lines up with your goals/preferences.
  • AppleShapedBabycakes
    Options
    I have one and he's amazing. I like being pushed when I see him and going (and paying) hundreds of dollars a month has inspired me to stick with it in the gym and kitchen when I don't see him. For me, it's worth it