how can i snap out of this cycle?

bigmamma3
bigmamma3 Posts: 134
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi I don't know if I'm the only one who goes through this cycle but half the month I'm all motivated and tend to get a bit to obsessed with cals and eat about 800cals a day then the other half I just feel like I can't be bothered and start letting things slip like today I ate half a big packet of chocolate buttons because I just didn't care.

I know a lot of it is linked to my TOM as I get very down around that time but I can't keep on like this. I also think its got soething to do with I'm at the weight I was before I had my three children and even though I don't like it its comfortable and it shouldn't be.

Does anyone have any tips to get my fat ugly bum out of this rut? Id give myself a kick but I'm not that flexible

Thank you

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Why are you ever only eating 800 calories per day? This is not only unhealthy, it's causing the rebound "I can't be bothered" weeks.

If you set more realistic calorie goals, you'll probably find them much easier to meet consistently.
  • etjaneausten
    etjaneausten Posts: 36 Member
    You may want to try to go up in calories for the part of the month you are more aware of what you are doing. You may be depriving yourself too much, and as a result binge for the rest of the month.
    Either way, take one day at a time, and don't give up.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    There is not much one person can say to help you get you bum in gear. You really have to do it yourself. Make sure you put your feelings on MFP so friends can help motivate you. But, first and foremost, it has to start with you. How bad do you want to lose that weight? If you want it bad, then prove it, at least walk daily, eat lean, and if you make a little slip, don't beat yourself up, make an active approach to change it. You can do this, even when it is your TOM, resist them temptations.
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Give yourself a break, youre neither fat or ugly. Beiing a mum isnt easy, so ive heard, and every now and again mums lose sight of themselves. Youre doing a great job, your weightloss is fantastic.

Eating a packet of chocolate buttons isnt a crime, just log it and move on, refocus and get back to your positive self you were a week ago.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Why are you ever only eating 800 calories per day? This is not only unhealthy, it's causing the rebound "I can't be bothered" weeks.

If you set more realistic calorie goals, you'll probably find them much easier to meet consistently.

Ditto this! I do think these cravings and motivation are stimulated by hormones. They are powerful and can send you on a binge in no time. Up that water and exercise after your 14th day of your cycle(ovulation). Really watch your salt and make sure you are eating! You can do this!:heart:
  • NuMe46
    NuMe46 Posts: 128
    Sounds like you need self motivation. Why do you want to lose the weight? It can't be just because you think you are ugly. It has to be a positive, like better health and more energy. Try to come up with a balanced diet of fruits, vegetables, good carbs and lean meat. Staying positive is the best way to combat the "I don't care" feeling. Do you have a support group of family and friends? MFP can help you connect with people who have the same problems and goals. Good Luck
  • ande2994
    ande2994 Posts: 136
    @FabulousFifty: I love the message in your signature line -- "Buying smaller jeans feels better than a quick overindulgence! Walk away from the kitchen!" I might just put this on a post-it note on my pantry door. I don't want to buy new clothes at my current size, but I'm so tired of my current clothes -- maybe this will remind me that I want to go shopping more than I want an oreo!
  • maybe you're trying to be "too healthy" - it might sound daft but i eat healthy through the week then relax the rules at the weekend, so i'll have bacon sandwiches, a pizza or a choccy bar. but in the week i hammer the exercise and the good food so i feel like i need a reward. it seems like you're trying to do too much too soon and burning out too early, in fact to help you out, i'm gonna go and eat a chocolate chip cookie after i've finished this poncy tuna salad i've made!
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Hey Lady,
    It looks to me like you are beating yourself up for being human. I am concerned that you are not eating enough and so your body is responding by craving to the point of frustration. I would recommend upping your calories to 1200 and making sure you drink ALL your water daily.
    And definitely keep coming back for support!
  • cjs3001
    cjs3001 Posts: 273 Member
    I agree with pretty much everything everyone has said and you must still remember what you have already done. Your tracker says 27lbs. 27! That's 27 less than you weighed before so you must be pleased with that and whenver you're feeling low about it all just take a look at that because it's obvious you can do it.

Too few calories is definitely not what you want to do though, I think that's why a lot of diets fail because you're eating air and feeling guilty about even sniffing a chocolate biscuit and it shouldn't be like that. Even if you have a few weeks where you stay the same or lose only a pound or a half, it's still all in the right direction and you can't let yourself feel guilty or annoyed by it because you. Losing 5lbs a week or whatever may look and feel great but when you do have the super chocolate craving days, you're just going to feel bad. Slow and steady wins the race :)

And like everyone else said, drink lots of water and definitely treat yourself, we're obviously all in this together because we love food, so don't ban the best bits, just eat them in moderation and run about a bit more :)
  • cmwinnh
    cmwinnh Posts: 2
    Eat a big breakfast that includes more than a tiny bowl of cheerios and milk to start your day off satisfied.
  • suzieqdiva
    suzieqdiva Posts: 183 Member
    Hi Hun,

800 cals/day does seem too low.. maybe that's why the binges. Hormones also do play a role.. as any women here will tell you as we all have to fight them every month!!!! Though I have noticed that logging has helped with binges (that is I am more aware.. so will put some almonds when I feel like binging instead of a muffin in my mouth). Also today I was watching a rerun of a Dr Oz show & he recommended 4 tricks to curb with food cravings:

1) Pine nuts - make you feel full

2) Red wine vinegar - pour 1-2 tsp in a glass of iced soda water & it will curb appetite

3) Wheat germ - take in on your yogurt in the morning - also makes you feel full. Do drink 8-10 oz of water afterwards.

4) Green tea Extract - you can either just take a drop on your tongue or add it to your drink.. it speeds metabolism & is great to take between meals.

I believe these are all supposed to be an aid & used in moderation.. but I was thinking these would be great to handle our once a month hormonal imbalance urges as well:)

Hope some of this helps:)

Suzie
This discussion has been closed.