Bike Trainer

I am looking for some sort of training planner for cycling. I've used c25k plans to improve my runs, so I'm looking for something along the same lines for the bike.

Any ideas?

Replies

• HillOE
    HillOE Posts: 61 Member
    The Sufferfest. http://www.thesufferfest.com

It's terrible, and wonderful and terribly wonderful.

They also have a running plan. I want to say I pay $10 a month for streaming of all their videos. They also have training plans. You can use your own music, but I don't mind the (repetitive) play list of E list music...as in it might be one step up from garage bands, or perhaps the bands are very popular in New Zealand.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    I am looking for some sort of training planner for cycling. I've used c25k plans to improve my runs, so I'm looking for something along the same lines for the bike.

Any ideas?

Tons of plans available online to purchase. It all depends on your goals. You can also build your own plan as long as you have some basic fundamental knowledge of the need for rest and recovery days, HR Zones, HIIT, and the training effect.

What are your goals? Building for an event, building for a certain distance, building for a race, weight loss, etc....?
  • WebFootFreak
    WebFootFreak Posts: 119 Member
    HillOE wrote: »

I've seen these. I actually have a friend who got his Knighthood a couple of months ago. Unfortunately, I have no TV access when I'm on the trainer.
    What are your goals? Building for an event, building for a certain distance, building for a race, weight loss, etc....?

Short answer: Yes. Ultimate goal is weight loss/overall fitness. I use events both as goals, and for fun. I have a sprint tri coming up on Aug 8th and I'd like to beat each split from last year (pretty sure I'm there already, but always room for more....). I also have a metric century planned for Oct. I have a 32mi group ride on Saturdays. We tend to avg 17mph overall, but easily hit stretches of 22+mph. I also do a solo ride Sundays. My last 3 have been, 36, 43 and 38mi all right around 16mph avg. I'm really just trying to find a way to get faster since I seem to have the farther part working out okay. I use Runtastic to track and just got my hands on a heart rate monitor. I just really want to make training days count.

I'll check these out tonight @ home since my lunch is over.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    If you're looking at a tri and a metric century, then a C25K type plan isn't the right fit for you ... those are absolute beginner plans.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    If you're already doing solo rides of over 40 miles at a 16 mph average, and you can handle yourself in a paceline, you don't need a beginner plan à la C25K. Take a look at Joe Friel's books—either The Cyclist's Training Bible or The Triathlete's Training Bible—for a good introduction to training concepts and periodization, and concrete advice on how to plan your training.
  • WebFootFreak
    Should have been more clear. I used the c25k as an example because it steps you from nothing to 5k. I'm looking for training steps to improve on the bike.
  • WebFootFreak
    Going to look @ Friel right now...
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Bicycling magazine has training plans .... Friel has plans on his site and Training Peaks ... most triathlon sites and clubs have training plans ....
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,832 Member
    I have my bicycle on a fluid trainer, and I do commercial intervals. I ride easy during the show, then ride all out as hard as I can during the commercial.

I couldn't imagine trying to ride inside without a TV ... too boring!!