Late night bingeing... how do i stop?

Options
So last night I binged. I dont really have a condition other than I wanted food even though I wasnt hungry. How do I break this vicious cycle?

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Find some way to distract yourself.
    Choose not to put food in your mouth.
    Save some of your calories for a late night snack.
    Make sure you are eating enough fat and protein to help with satiety.
  • noobsnip3r_
    noobsnip3r_ Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    From what I have read eating at night in general is bad because you arent active and none of it is really broken down so it turns into fat. If that is true wouldnt it be bad to save calories for a late night snack? Great advice though and thank you!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    From what I have read eating at night in general is bad because you arent active and none of it is really broken down so it turns into fat. If that is true wouldnt it be bad to save calories for a late night snack? Great advice though and thank you!

That's not true at all. It doesn't matter when you eat. Your body doesn't shut down at night. The only thing that matters, in terms of weight loss, it eating less than you burn.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    You need to respect yourself enough to show self control when you know you are hurting your progress.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    tell yourself you aren't going to do it
    or plan your calories around eating at night.
  • noobsnip3r_
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

That's not true at all. It doesn't matter when you eat. Your body doesn't shut down at night. The only thing that matters, in terms of weight loss, it eating less than you burn.

Ok thank you very much!
  • noobsnip3r_
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    tell yourself you aren't going to do it
    or plan your calories around eating at night.
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    You need to respect yourself enough to show self control when you know you are hurting your progress.

I appreciate the help as well guys!
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am still working on asking myself if I am hungry and then not eating if I am not. I suspect it will be months until this is second nature.
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I can be excellent all day long, and then completely blow it at night. I know that I am not physically hungry, and just want to eat for something to do. So, I find something else to do. Come onto the MFP boards and look at success stories, look at fitspiration or healthy meal ideas on Pinterest, start a handsy project (like crochet), or -my favorite- drink a big glass of water, eat an apple, and set a timer for 30 minutes. If I am still hungry when it goes off, then I can have a *small* bit of whatever I was craving. Just knowing that I could have it when it rang helped me to not eat random junk in the mean time. Also, try sipping decaf green or herbal tea. You still get the hand-to-mouth motion, but for far less calories. Most importantly is to keep trying and keep your head up even if you stumble :smiley: