Protein shakes

Options
Im thinking of adding a protein shake to my diet each day. I try and swim round 4/5 miles each week and finding that post workout i am feeling tired etc. I was thinking having a protein shake after a workout may help my recovery and stop me feeling so worn out....any suggestions either way?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Find a shake that you enjoy the taste. All pretty much the same thing.
  • pelonitahh
    pelonitahh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes gd idea buy premier powder protein shake at SAMs club no sugar added, 30 grams of protein it's so delicious you'll love it
  • diamondlife09
    diamondlife09 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Isopure makes a kind that's made with coffee. It's pretty good.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Options
    You can certainly try protein shakes, but unless your diet is deficient in protein, i don't think adding more will do much.. especially for a lower-intensity activity like swimming. The more common causes of post-exercise fatigue are not enough calories, and not enough sleep. Here's the great Elliott Hulse sermoning about the increased need for sleep when exercising. Excuse the occasional profanity :)
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=mH7iCGDKdq0
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    What about a ham sandwich instead?
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    You can certainly try protein shakes, but unless your diet is deficient in protein, i don't think adding more will do much.. especially for a lower-intensity activity like swimming. The more common causes of post-exercise fatigue are not enough calories, and not enough sleep. Here's the great Elliott Hulse sermoning about the increased need for sleep when exercising. Excuse the occasional profanity :)
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=mH7iCGDKdq0

Big Elliott hulse fan here! Op I'm not sure more protein in your diet is what you need to stop your tiredness. A good balanced diet and more rest along with a sensible workout routine to fit your goals should be sufficient. Unless you are actively trying to build or repair muscle (in which case swimming alone is not enough) I think you'd be wasting your money on a specific protein powder.
  • sarahdayski
    sarahdayski Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Ive dropped my exercise down to 3 times a week, i swim for a good hour and around 76 lengths so its a pretty intense workout for me. That seems to have helped the tiredness i was feeling. Thanks for the replies x
  • smtaylo85
    smtaylo85 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    i use the premier protein shakes after working out there pretty good and only 160 calories high in protein. there also a good idea for breakfast if you don't have time to make something in the morning!
  • sweetochiken
    sweetochiken Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Try carbs instead, those have energy. I eat a banana during my workouy and a granola bar after. Protein is better taken before a workout. Or try a banana before you start the swim and a bar after.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Whey+Maltodextrin after my workouts is my go-to shake. I've found that carbs (malto) during and after my workout stop me from crashing later on - I can really feel the effect if I haven't had it.

It's a lot cheaper than pre-mixed recovery shakes, too.
  • sarahdayski
    sarahdayski Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, i can really tell the difference when i work out if ive had a shake before or not. Might just be in my head but its working for me anyway.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I buy whatever is on sale as they all taste pretty much the same to me and they all provide about the same amount of nutritional value. Currently finishing up a tub of Quest Vanilla - dissolves well and tastes good. Get plenty of carbs as well to fuel your workouts.