Plateau

Options
I feel like I've hit a plateau. I've been eating right and went on a walk last night but I feel like I've gotten stuck on the same weight. I'm becoming frustated and just feel like giving up. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• rmitchell239
    rmitchell239 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Dont give up!! You can finish it. Im assuming you are staying in your calorie goals. Remember your weight is determined by a whole host of factors and can vary day by day by 2~3 lbs. You mentioned walking, is this a new activity? You may be increasing your muscle mass which is never a bad thing. I weigh myself weekly and one week was 0 lost, a bit frustrating. The next week came 6 lbs lost. It could be your weight fluctuated at the low end spectrum one day and then at the high end another day giving you a false negative. Keep at it and try to weigh yourself at the same time of day etc when you do it.
  • dopeygrl84
    dopeygrl84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Well last night I did not, I only ate 880 because I slept in (long, rough night) and didn't have breakfast. That might contribute to it. Yes I just started walking yesterday night which was really nice (sunset wise) and ran a bit here and there till my lungs wanted to blow. I'm trying really hard not to keep looking at the scale but I do especially in the mornings, but I do it throughout the day to see how much I ate.
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Go by pictures, then tape-- not necessarily by the scale. Give your body a good month before calling it a plateau. Things go on in your body that you can't necessarily pick up on a scale or even tape (unless you're literally taping every inch of your body). When I thought I was in a plateau it's because my back was shaping up. Can't calculate that in any way other than pictures. Another time it was my legs. I measure thighs and calves but there's a whole lot of leg there besides those. My advice, take pictures.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    A plateau in weight loss is no weight movement for 6 weeks or more IF the person was being consistent with diet and exercise. If there was any deviation from plan in those 6 weeks, it's NOT a plateau (consistency was broken). Anything less is just a stall and can be over come WITH CONSISTENCY.
    As for going by the scale readings every day, read this:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10196160/scale-stress-syndrome/p1

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • dopeygrl84
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    A plateau in weight loss is no weight movement for 6 weeks or more IF the person was being consistent with diet and exercise. If there was any deviation from plan in those 6 weeks, it's NOT a plateau (consistency was broken). Anything less is just a stall and can be over come WITH CONSISTENCY.
    As for going by the scale readings every day, read this:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10196160/scale-stress-syndrome/p1

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Wow this did help me understand a lot better. Thank you.
  • dopeygrl84
    Options
    rumijs wrote: »
    Go by pictures, then tape-- not necessarily by the scale. Give your body a good month before calling it a plateau. Things go on in your body that you can't necessarily pick up on a scale or even tape (unless you're literally taping every inch of your body). When I thought I was in a plateau it's because my back was shaping up. Can't calculate that in any way other than pictures. Another time it was my legs. I measure thighs and calves but there's a whole lot of leg there besides those. My advice, take pictures.

Thank you, I will def. start taking pictures. I have notice my belly has gotten flatter and that makes me feel good.