Ladies- Question about Birth Control

Hi Ladies- Ok, I have a question about birth control (sorry, I tried to search the forums to get answers but for some reason it came up with 0 results, though I know better than that lol). I recently started it, and I am ragey and hungry all of the time. I've heard of it causing weight gain, (I know it doesn't DIRECTLY cause weight gain, it's due to overeating, and possibly water retention) and I'm trying to avoid that so I'm attempting to make better choices and start logging again. I've been able to lose 20lbs with the help of MFP and keep it off, which was more than my goal, and I'm happy where I'm at.

My question to you all is, does the rage hunger wear off eventually? It's like a never ending eating fest for me right now. Nothing makes me full. I feel like i'm on PMS x 1000. I've only been on it a little less than two weeks and I'm moody, emotional, and starving all of the time. It is the pill. I've tried Nuva ring but me and that thing didn't get along lol.

Currently I'm on something called "Jinteli" (norethindrone-ethynyl estradiol)

What has been your experience with your birth control and hunger? Does the starvation go away? If it made you moody, did your moods eventually level out? I'm fairly sensitive to hormonal meds but I'd rather be safe. I'm getting married in April and don't need any surprises along the way :wink:

But I'm not gonna lie. It's not fun being on BC. Any idea which ones have the lowest amount of hormones? And I'm not interest in the IUD. Not yet anyway.

Replies

• HollandOats
    HollandOats Posts: 202 Member
    You might want to try a different pill. Tell your doctor the side effects you're experiencing to see if there's another one there that may work better...

I've been on the pill for years... various brands. Only one generic the Army gave me in 2007 caused hunger, depression and as a result, I gained weight. I haven't had any issues with the others I've used since then.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Perhaps it's the choices of what you are eating that doesn't make you full and isn't related to the birth control? I was going through a phase too when I would eat and log it I would still be hungry after a meal. I decided to just eat a really filling meal after a few days of feeling hungry. It was more of a mental game of "I am restricting my calories". Protein for me fills me up. Veggies and fruits dipped in peanut butter, hard boiled eggs (or egg salad sandwich) cheese with apples, tend to fill me up. :) If it's a recent thing, then just try to eat a good meal that fills you up and don't worry about the calories for one day.
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    edited July 2015
    I have been on a similar medication for almost a year. The first month my moods were crazy, and I had this hunger all the time. For me, it was psychological, I just wanted to eat. I had to practice ignoring the hunger, and eventually the symptoms quieted down. By my third month, the mood swings and hunger feelings were gone. The first time I went on birth control (five years ago) I gained 10 pounds from indulging this hunger. This time, I was careful to practice telling myself no. Also, I am currently on a low estrogen pill, but I can't tell if the symptoms were really an different than a normal pill.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    I've been on the pill for years and never noticed that effect. I would talk to your dr about your options. From what I recall from very basic knowledge, bc pills actually make your hormones more level...without them you have a big rise and drop (in order to be fertile). The pill should take away these surges.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I dunno. I hated all of them. Ultimately, once I was in a stable relationship (where I was in a routine with respect to location etc.) I switched to a NON-hormonal BC. They do exist.
    Even then, I tried "mirena" about 15 years ago. That was a mistake.

Good luck finding what works for you.
  • HollandOats
    I just checked and I'm taking the same formulation as you right now, though a different brand. I guess everyone's different. I suppose it's possible that when I began this brand I had hunger, but didn't correlate it with the pill, but maybe just dismissed it as whatever else. In that scenario, I can tell you that I currently have no ragey hunger except if I eat too many carbs vs. fats and proteins ;)
  • HollandOats
    As for pill recommendations, that's a conversation you should probably only have with your OB/GYN.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    I know this is of no help to the OP, but it might add some perspective to the lurkers. I had the complete opposite experience. I found it easier to control cravings on the pill, particularly around the TOM. Never gained a pound going on it or switching brands. Now that my husband and I are trying to get pregnant, I miss it so so much (almost been off now for a year, good lawrd).
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    I dunno. I hated all of them. Ultimately, once I was in a stable relationship (where I was in a routine with respect to location etc.) I switched to a NON-hormonal BC. They do exist.

What are the non-hormonal BC?
  • killerqueen21
    As for pill recommendations, that's a conversation you should probably only have with your OB/GYN.

Not specifically looking for recommendations. I am curious though if anyone has had the same issues and if they taper off eventually. I actually don't remember the Nuva Ring causing any of this but that was a few years ago. And I liked it. BUT. One strenuous poop and it's over with lol

I'm glad the pill is working for you though, I haven't been on it very long so I'm going to try give it some more time I think, if I can deal with the mood swings a little bit longer and my fiance doesn't leave me by then lol
  • killerqueen21
    I have been on a similar medication for almost a year. The first month my moods were crazy, and I had this hunger all the time. For me, it was psychological, I just wanted to eat. I had to practice ignoring the hunger, and eventually the symptoms quieted down. By my third month, the mood swings and hunger feelings were gone. The first time I went on birth control (five years ago) I gained 10 pounds from indulging this hunger. This time, I was careful to practice telling myself no. Also, I am currently on a low estrogen pill, but I can't tell if the symptoms were really an different than a normal pill.

This is really helpful. Thank you. I'm learning that I have to ignore it and/or eat a LOT healthier and find things to snack on that will shut my stomach and brain up.

• Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    I've been on the pill for years and years and years (I take tri-sprintec, which is a generic form of something that I can't remember any more). I had an increased appetite and ate a lot and gained weight at first. I recently lost it, and now I'm maintaining. I do have to say, eventually the hunger and cravings subsided. I don't know if it is because I got used to them or because I learned what foods help me feel full longer, but I really am not hungry very often any more.

As a side note, if your hunger and cravings are ready bad, you might want to talk to your doctor because maybe your new prescription is not the right one for you.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    How long have you been taking it?
  • killerqueen21
    2 weeks
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

Copper IUDs
    cervical caps and spermicide
    diaphragms and spermicide

etc.

And then the more permanent things like vasectomy. :smile:
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    cleback wrote: »
    I know this is of no help to the OP, but it might add some perspective to the lurkers. I had the complete opposite experience. I found it easier to control cravings on the pill, particularly around the TOM. Never gained a pound going on it or switching brands. Now that my husband and I are trying to get pregnant, I miss it so so much (almost been off now for a year, good lawrd).

I missed the pill when we were trying to conceive, too. It made me feel a little crazy! Good luck, hope you get that positive soon!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    edited July 2015
    I agree you should try a different pill if it's affecting your emotions that much. The last one I was on made me really sad. None of the other types did though.

If you're looking for a low dose BC.. I think tri cyclen is very low. But you have to be suuuupper careful to take it at exactly the same time every day. More so than any other pill. Like super super careful.
  • killerqueen21

Copper IUDs
    cervical caps and spermicide
    diaphragms and spermicide

etc.

And then the more permanent things like vasectomy. :smile:

Once we're married and ready to pop out a couple kids I prob will make him get snipped
    :D
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member

sponge, spermicide, condom, etc
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    2 weeks

Oh. You may need to just give it more time. I always get a little whacky for awhile when I start a new pill.