10k to run in 5 months, not even close to being ready

Options
I'm running a 10k in 5 months and really need to get ready for it. Any help is welcome:smile:

Replies

• jpeterburs88
    jpeterburs88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    When I ran my 5K, I did the C25K program. I reccomend trying to find something like that for the 10K! It really helps ease you into it.
  • kelseytanking
    Options
    C25K really helped me out training for my 5K. You may check it out/google it.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Google Hal Higdon. Good training tips and programs there. Good luck!
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Podrunner has a really easy set of mp3s you can download for the couch to 5k; 5k to 8k; 8k to 10k training ... techno beats with good rhythmic pace... you MAY find them helpful. If you can already run a 5k then start with the 2nd set.
    I know they helped me a little: Only reason I say a little is that I ended up with an unrelated chronic injury that has sidelined me from running for over 2 years now. So they worked while I still worked, but once I broke, haven't been able to use them.

Link is here:

Home page
    http://www.djsteveboy.com/mixes.html

Intervals training for distances
    http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html
  • Carek99
    Carek99 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    if you do c25k, there is a second program called Bridge to 10K (B210K) that is supposed to help you get there.
  • afyfe1999
    afyfe1999 Posts: 16
    Options
    There is the C25K and then a Bridge to 10K. I recommend those.

I have a half mary to run in December and I haven't ran regularly since we moved to Vegas 8 months ago.

Sigh.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 10k, 5 months is a good time frame to get ready by....I dont know anything anout the C25K, but whether you use a treadmill or you workout outdoors, just take it one day at a time, and each day you push harder and harder until you build up that stamina. Just take it easy and ensure you start from now.

Once you are motivated and committed, it will all fall into place

Goodluck
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first race last Sunday and it was a 12k! and just a few months ago I wasn't able to run an entire mile without getting out of breath and stopping. I used the C25k program on my iphone which helped me get started and I also started meeting w/ a local running group. The group had people of all ages and ability levels so there wasn't a lot of pressure and it allowed me a social environment to really push myself and a weekly commitment so i was less likely to put it off or fall off the wagon. Good luck!
  • carolynmaude
    Options
    5 months is plenty of time. I started the c25k in February and ran my first 10k today. I did it in 1:01
    :27. I didn't do the bridge to 10k as after the c25k I sort of worked my own training plan out. Good luck!