Ladies- Question about Birth Control

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    As for pill recommendations, that's a conversation you should probably only have with your OB/GYN.

Not specifically looking for recommendations. I am curious though if anyone has had the same issues and if they taper off eventually. I actually don't remember the Nuva Ring causing any of this but that was a few years ago. And I liked it. BUT. One strenuous poop and it's over with lol

I'm glad the pill is working for you though, I haven't been on it very long so I'm going to try give it some more time I think, if I can deal with the mood swings a little bit longer and my fiance doesn't leave me by then lol

OMG hahahah! I just started this one... I shall avoid pooping strenuously.
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    I have NEVER been ragey and hungry on my birth control. (Tilia Fe) Personally, am more ragey/hungry when I am OFF it right before I start Shark Week (as I call it). I say give it time. It may take your body a while to adjust to the medication. If you still have issues after a month or 2 I'd say talk to your doctor and see if there are other options.
  • racheln2017
    racheln2017 Posts: 45 Member
    I've been on birth control for about 2 years now, and I take Junel Fe, which is very low dose (it probably won't protect me against pregnancy but I'm not too worried about that, that's not what I take it for) but I know that it will take about a month for it to straighten out. Birth Control is meant to make your body think it's pregnant, so for the first month your body is gonna be a little out of whack. I'd give it a little bit longer, and if the problem keeps up, I'd talk to your OB/GYN
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    edited July 2015
    I dunno. I hated all of them. Ultimately, once I was in a stable relationship (where I was in a routine with respect to location etc.) I switched to a NON-hormonal BC. They do exist.
    Even then, I tried "mirena" about 15 years ago. That was a mistake.

Good luck finding what works for you.

What are the non-hormonal BC?

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_control#Methods

709168361cbae0647b4c8bfe0af5c8bf.png

When I first started having sex, I used the pill and didn't like several types of it. Switched to the sponge until my husband and I started using fertility awareness, which we did successfully for over 10 years (we were married for 18 but I don't know at what point we started FA), went to condoms after the divorce, and now use nothing as my fiance was snipped, hallelujah!

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    I've never had symptoms like that and I've been on various methods of hormonal birth control for ten years. Talk to your doctor if things don't even out within a couple of months.
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    I have NEVER been ragey and hungry on my birth control. (Tilia Fe) Personally, am more ragey/hungry when I am OFF it right before I start Shark Week (as I call it). I say give it time. It may take your body a while to adjust to the medication. If you still have issues after a month or 2 I'd say talk to your doctor and see if there are other options.

It does affect everyone differently. I'm going to give it at least 2 months.
    I've been on birth control for about 2 years now, and I take Junel Fe, which is very low dose (it probably won't protect me against pregnancy but I'm not too worried about that, that's not what I take it for) but I know that it will take about a month for it to straighten out. Birth Control is meant to make your body think it's pregnant, so for the first month your body is gonna be a little out of whack. I'd give it a little bit longer, and if the problem keeps up, I'd talk to your OB/GYN

I think it's a good idea to try and give it more time. I'm not really used to being on birth control so my body may just be like WTF. lol
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    As for pill recommendations, that's a conversation you should probably only have with your OB/GYN.

Not specifically looking for recommendations. I am curious though if anyone has had the same issues and if they taper off eventually. I actually don't remember the Nuva Ring causing any of this but that was a few years ago. And I liked it. BUT. One strenuous poop and it's over with lol

I'm glad the pill is working for you though, I haven't been on it very long so I'm going to try give it some more time I think, if I can deal with the mood swings a little bit longer and my fiance doesn't leave me by then lol

This is the truth!! LOL. Be careful! hahaha

• paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    I never had any issues with the pill, I got a blood clot from the nuva ring. I cannot have the pill anymore so I got the IUD and I love it.
  • killerqueen21
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I dunno. I hated all of them. Ultimately, once I was in a stable relationship (where I was in a routine with respect to location etc.) I switched to a NON-hormonal BC. They do exist.
    Even then, I tried "mirena" about 15 years ago. That was a mistake.

Good luck finding what works for you.

What are the non-hormonal BC?

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_control#Methods

709168361cbae0647b4c8bfe0af5c8bf.png

When I first started having sex, I used the pill and didn't like several types of it. Switched to the sponge until my husband and I started using fertility awareness, which we did successfully for over 10 years (we were married for 18 but I don't know at what point we started FA), went to condoms after the divorce, and now use nothing as my fiance was snipped, hallelujah!

Thank you!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member

I have never in the two years I've had it, had that happen, ever.
  • killerqueen21
    paris458 wrote: »
    I never had any issues with the pill, I got a blood clot from the nuva ring. I cannot have the pill anymore so I got the IUD and I love it.

This is the same boat my good friend is in. She had a blood clot as well and is prone to getting them. She got the IUD also because it's safer for her.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    paris458 wrote: »

Which IUD? Copper?
  • killerqueen21
    moyer566 wrote: »

It was a joke. That will only happen if it's not inserted up far enough.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member

I was just saying because I've seen other people say it happened.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member

Hahah ok I was wondering.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    When I started mine, I gained weight, but that was the tail end of a lot of non-active desk job years, so I'm not sure how much it actually contributed. I didn't have trouble losing weight when I started MFP and watching what I ate, so take that as you will.

If the one you're on is making you much more hungry and emotional than normal, and you've given it 3-4 months with no improvement, talk to your doctor about another possibility. There's LOTS of options for BC pills out there, and there might be a better fit for you.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    edited July 2015
    I've been happy on Norethindrone/ethinyl estradiol (aka Cyclafem) for the last 6-7 years with no problems or unusual side effects relating to mood or appetite or weight gain or bloating.

Before that, however, I was on "the shot". I can't remember the exact name of it, and holy moly, was I a mess on that. Constant nausea, spotting all the time, horrid appetite, and I was basically a rage monster. The worst part was it actually made me completely and perpetually incapable of arousal, and I definitely retained more water. It was pretty bad. I was on that for a year, max, before I switched off.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    I have been on Avian and Ocella and neither one MADE me gain weight. I gained weight because I ate like crap. Avian was such a low dose that it didn't work for me, constant spotting, moodiness, feeling blah, etc. I've been on Ocella for five years now and haven't had many problems. I take it continuously because I have horrible PMS and it's just not worth it to have a period. I go off of it every four months for "shark week" and that usually results in 4 days off of work each time and massive weight gain from ice cream, cheese, chips, chocolate, and anything with a cream sauce.
  • sarabreck
    sarabreck Posts: 16 Member
    I would say give it 2-3 months for your body to adjust, just like anything. The pill was not for me. I couldn't deal with the hormonal effects, and low hormone types are also less effective according to my doc. I gained so much weight and the emotional rollercoaster was awful. I just got a paraguard (copper, no hormone) IUD in February and am pretty happy with it so far. The first few months my periods were really heavy and crampy, but things seem to be getting back to normal now. Exercise is really helpful for me for all the side effects of BC and PMS. If I workout a little extra hard the week before my period, my mood is better and I don't get cramps.
  • lesliezimmer
    lesliezimmer Posts: 85 Member
    I can't do birth control. None of it. It messes with my hormones so much, and I get hangry and PMS-y and all that. When I'm off all birth control I get no cramps, no PMS, and my appetite is regulated more.

I tried hard to lose weight while on birth control and it didn't happen for me because there'd be a week of every month were I was incapacitated. Cramps, PMS, eating so much that it negated my calorie intake for the rest of the month... I tried every birth control that exists (except being sterilized)

My advice would be to try different things. Many people will land on something that works for them... and if not, then at least you know you tried everything.
  • kaylag45
    kaylag45 Posts: 21 Member
    I would definitely talk to your doctor either way, but it takes up to 3 months for birth control to completely regulate emotions and have your body get used to it. It doesn't take 3 months to protect you (normally 1 month!) but a good 3 months to see the full side effects of the medication. 2 weeks isn't a very good indicator.