Lost 35 pounds in 7 weeks, no exercise.

Options
Been out of shape for a while, not eating healthy and found that a lot foods made me feel tired and lifeless. So decided to try and eat clean and also see if cutting out certain foods would stop me feeling unwell. So for 7 weeks I've only drank water, cut out milk, coffee and alcohol, which wasn't easy. Completely cut out dairy and wheat, cut right down on carbs, sugar, yeast etc. Basically been living on water, fruit, salad, vegetables, fish, chicken, occasional bit of steak and a jacket potato, A-Z vitamin tablets. Lost 35lbs in 7 weeks and didn't do any exercise. If I felt hungry in the evening I had a tin of tuna or a smoothie. Feel so much better already, more energy and don't feel tired after eating. Just purchased a rower a concept 2 rower a week ago so have started exercising now, hoping to lose another 45lbs and start playing some sports again. Using MFP now just to help keep track it all and make it a bit more interesting.

Replies

• Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Amazing progress!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Great job! I'm sure adding in exercise will increase your mood and make it easier to continue this healthy lifestyle. :)
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I am unsure how i feel about this.
    This kind of feels like its promoting an unhealthy rate of weight loss.
    Its also not really a diet i feel like a lot of people could maintain over a long period of time and may find themselves putting weight back on again due to that.

Yup. 5lbs/week is not healthy-unless maybe you're severely obese. And cutting out large amounts of food groups will certainly make it easier to lose weight since their is not much you can eat. It will also make it easier to pack on the pounds again once you re-introduce these foods.
  • Xanna89
    Xanna89 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love my carbs! I'd rather work out 2 hours a day that cut those down. Lol. Good for you! It's unreal for me though. I couldn't live my life that way. It wouldn't work for me long term.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    So what are your stats, age height start// current weight. How many calories a day have you been eating? Sounds like you are starving your way there.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,729 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss so far.

I'm sure someone will come along and point out to you that you don't need to keep avoiding complete categories of food in order to lose weight.

In any case, do keep in mind that continuous large deficits tend to eventually catch up with you and can also have very real negative health consequences.

A safe recommendation is to lose weight at a rate of up to 0.7% of your bodyweight per week. Obese individuals may well be able to tolerate rates as high as 1%, 1.2%, even as high as 1.5% of their bodyweight per week.

Many people advocate TDEE -15% to 20% for a safe and consistent loss of weight. Some people have adopted a 0.5lb a week target per 25lbs of remaining weight loss.

The all add up over time! But, as I am sure you've noted, all of them add up to less than 5lbs a week for most individuals!

Another recommendation you may want to aim for is eating a minimum of 0.35g of fat per lb of bodyweight, and close to 0.8g of protein per lb of bodyweight assuming you don't have any kidney issues (you should consider the protein goal as a proxy for eating 1g or so of protein per lb of lean muscle mass, so in some cases you may want to look at goal weight as opposed to current weight when setting it).

The extra protein together with lifting heavy weights may help minimize the amount of non fat mass you lose in addition to all the fat mass you presumably want to actually lose!

You didn't put it on in one day. You don't have to go all heroic to lose it all in one day either! Just find something that is long terms sustainable and gets you to lose the weight and keep it off as long as possible!

Take care and good luck.
  • christinedlg50
    christinedlg50 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You must feel so goooood! Dropping 35 pounds (no matter how long it took) is amazing! Personally, it doesn't sound unhealthy to me. You're almost following a paleo diet, i.e. lean meats, veggies, fruit. Thank you for sharing your success; I'll take all the inspiration I can get!
  • Arieskathy
    Arieskathy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Brilliant well done you? I've often wondered about eating clean with your amazing results I'm certainly going to give it a try.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Its also not really a diet i feel like a lot of people could maintain over a long period of time and may find themselves putting weight back on again due to that.

No matter how it is lost, most people put the weight back on. Losing slower is no indication that it will stay off longer.

I couldn't lose five pounds a week at this point. I wish! Even if I ate nothing at all, I'm not sure I'd drop five pounds in a week.

Congrats, OP. I'm jealous.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    With no stats or mention of calorie intake, it feels vaguely like clean eating trolling.
  • DaveAFC79
    DaveAFC79 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't intend on eating those foods again, they were the reason I was so out of shape, that and my mind set but I've realised I had to make a lifestyle change and maintain it, otherwise I would have been unhealthy the rest of my life, and to be honest I've found it easy. The foods I'm eating taste far nicer than the crap, but my mind just wasn't in it before. Plus I used to be very athletic, into sports and gym, so I hated being badly out of shape. I've always been a well built stocky guy, but I ended up over 300lbs which isn't healthy. Im 5ft 11, about 270 now, and been eating about 1500 to 1700 Cal's a day, sometimes a little more or less. Obviously this wouldnt be for everyone, and I don't even know if its the most healthy way to do it, but its worked for me so far, just need to keep it up now.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't intend on eating those foods again, they were the reason I was so out of shape, that and my mind set but I've realised I had to make a lifestyle change and maintain it, otherwise I would have been unhealthy the rest of my life, and to be honest I've found it easy. The foods I'm eating taste far nicer than the crap, but my mind just wasn't in it before. Plus I used to be very athletic, into sports and gym, so I hated being badly out of shape. I've always been a well built stocky guy, but I ended up over 300lbs which isn't healthy. Im 5ft 11, about 270 now, and been eating about 1500 to 1700 Cal's a day, sometimes a little more or less. Obviously this wouldnt be for everyone, and I don't even know if its the most healthy way to do it, but its worked for me so far, just need to keep it up now.
    The weight comes off a lot faster when you begin. Then it slows down. Don't get discouraged because it's slow!

It took me a lot longer than a couple months to feel like I'd really made lifestyle changes. I HATED my new diet. After I got used to it, though, and worked on it, I found I liked it more.

I think a lot of it is just what you're used to. Once you're used to fruits as dessert, you miss the candy and cake less. A little treat on a special occasion is all you need. :)

Keep it up!
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options

all of this
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options

you sound motivated and switched on.
    us bigger ,former sporty blokes tend to be goal orientated and able to push through.
    had similar losses and cal budget too.
    great move adding the rower, its a great full body workout.
    loads of tips,videos and onlinine logbook at conceptc2.com.
    also a rowing forum in groups for tips etc. right here on mfp.
    good luck on your journey.

• vedra_b
    vedra_b Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Great Job!
  • Rax1974
    Rax1974 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Great job, with those stats nothing wrong with your method or results. Stick with it, you have the right mentality. Lifestyle change is everything and I know how those foods can make people feel. Looking forward to hearing more updates from you!
  • DaveAFC79
    DaveAFC79 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks I've been checking out some of those clips and videos on the concept 2, need to practice some of the tips and drills as not quite got the technique 100% yet.

LOL at clean eating troll, I used to eat kebab and chips with 10 beers or more, just thought I'd share what I've done
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I have known several men who lost that and more each week for several month, just by cutting out beer, the almost nightly pizza and other high volume processed carbs ( pasta, bakery goods, bread etc in excess ). I am not into low carb, but it's a fact that many men lose fast when they cut out certain foods.
    Weight loss is just different, especially in the initial state for men than it is for women.
    Also the OP plans to lose at least 63 pounds. I don't know if his current weight makes him obese, but 63 pounds is a lot.
    I agree that what he eats is probably not a lifetime diet, but maybe to get motivated it's ok for a while. Who knows, maybe he is even one of the low percentage who keeps it off.

PS: In the meantime I read that the OP weighs 270 pounds, which makes it not too unusual to lose 5 pounds a week during the initial phase.