Getting there but starting to fall off the wagon.....

jnite
jnite Posts: 108 Member
edited September 27 in Motivation and Support
May need a bit of motivation......
I am doing awesome, I started the beginning of Feb and have lost 14 lbs. My GW was 130, 1 more pound and I'm there, but I did modify that and want to get to 125. I am at 131 right now, but am really tired of only eating 1200 cals a day. The last couple of weeks I have only lost .5 of a pound because I am eating more than the 1200. I keep saying at least I'm not gaining but I would like to lose more.

My other problem is in a week we are going on a holiday and I know we will be eating out alot,etc. So should I go up to my maintenance cals until I get back from my holidays and then get back to it to get to my goal or should I try to stick this out? Not really feeling overly discouraged, just soooo sick of having only 1200 cals......

Replies

• vbennett7
    vbennett7 Posts: 99 Member
    As I approach my first goal weight ( just 1-2 pounds away), I find it more and more difficult. Its now MFP, its me. I am sabbotaging myself. Why? Not sure. It might be something to think about.
  • BrendaBlis
    BrendaBlis Posts: 165 Member
    I am in about the same predicament as you! I was doing SO well, I'm also at 1200 calories. I started at 153 and now am at 137, I want to get to 130, then eventually 125.
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Since you are so close to your goal weight, and likely are already at what your body perceives as a healthy weight, a slow weight loss of 0.5 lbs/week is to be expected. Don't try to compensate by trying to eat even less. You may even find that by eating a little more, you can get past that "diet fatigue" you're feeling and lose at the same speed.

Also, adding exercise (since you didn't say anything about that) will help you in two ways - it will help rev your metabolism to keep losing since you are at a healthy weight (and your body really doesn't want to let go of weight when you're in that healthy range) AND it will earn you extra cals to play with. Those last so called "vanity pounds" are always the slowest and hardest. Just dig in and make sure you eat enough. You need to be prepared to accept slower losses at this point.
  • I would allternate increasing calories a couple times a week to trick your body into resetting itself. It "knows" exactly what you are going to give it each day (same 1200 calories) and is responding to it by giving you a plateau. Plus you are in need of a break. So, switch up your excercise and change up your diet. Go to 1400 calories a couple of times a week (not consecutive days) then back to 1200 or 1300 the other days. As far as vacation, stay on plan as much as you can and splurge where you really want to. Get some excercise while on vacation and you wont gain much if any.
    If this isnt fun, you wont stick with it. It is a lifelong plan, not a single diet. Good luck!
  • BrendaBlis
    BrendaBlis Posts: 165 Member
    Since you are so close to your goal weight, and likely are already at what your body perceives as a healthy weight, a slow weight loss of 0.5 lbs/week is to be expected. Don't try to compensate by trying to eat even less. You may even find that by eating a little more, you can get past that "diet fatigue" you're feeling and lose at the same speed.

Also, adding exercise (since you didn't say anything about that) will help you in two ways - it will help rev your metabolism to keep losing since you are at a healthy weight (and your body really doesn't want to let go of weight when you're in that healthy range) AND it will earn you extra cals to play with. Those last so called "vanity pounds" are always the slowest and hardest. Just dig in and make sure you eat enough. You need to be prepared to accept slower losses at this point.

Thank you! Makes sense! :smile:
  • einnybug
    einnybug Posts: 3
    you should really find out how many calories you should be eating. it is different for everyone based on age, weight, height, activity levels and if you want to lose or maintain weight. i used this site http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm this site also talks about calorie cycling which i have been doing along with exercising since mid Feb and i have lost 32 pounds.

it really sounds like you may have plateaued and your body is going into starvation mode which can make you gain weight even at such a low calorie level.
  • jnite
    jnite Posts: 108 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have been eating over the 1200 cals for the last 2 weeks or so....not everyday but probably 3-4 days a week. I do walk or jog almost every day, lately it's been raining alot so the times have been cut down, but I usually walk/jog about half an hour to an hour a day. I'm thinking that I may up my cals to losing 1/2 a pound a week and see what that does at least until after my holiday and then may go back to the pound a week. Hopefully my holiday and a bit of time off will get me past this hump....
This discussion has been closed.