which do i quit first??

Options
here are my bad habits, i want to quit them all but quitting all at once does NOT work for me.

fast food (especially after taking the kids to school when i can eat in PEACE)
diet pop
coffee
candy
going out to eat

soooo which do i quit? how do i do it??

Replies

• JJLM
    JJLM Posts: 48
    Options
    here are my bad habits, i want to quit them all but quitting all at once does NOT work for me.

diet pop
    coffee
    candy
    going out to eat

• Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I would say eating out. Go home and eat healthy instead of going through drive thrus

Alisha
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Personally I would quit the things that are easier and then tackle that harder things later.

Some ideas that I have to help you in quitting these things would be:
    fast food - pack some healthy snacks in a bag, I always pack a bunch when I go to work (carrots, raisens, a few graham crackers). These snacks would give your body much more fuel and you wouldn't want the fast food as much.
    diet pop - switch to water, add crystal light packets to your water, iced tea is great (no the sweetened though). Drink diet pop as a treat.
    coffee - no help here I have never drank coffee.
    candy - if you are eatting chocolate and candy bars, try chewing gum or sucking on some sugar free hard candies.
    going out to eat - use this as a treat. I always go to the restaurants menu online and see what I would be able to eat. Most restaurants have very healthy meals as well. If you want to give it up all together. Try to recreate there meals at home. You can cut down on the calories and save on the money side.

It all depends on your lifestyle which to give up first. For me it would be candy or diet pop.

Good Luck!!
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I would say fast food.
  • IUChelle423
    Options
    My advice is to take it one at a time. Make a commitment to stop one every month, so you can focus and not feel like you're depriving yourself. I would pick whichever seems the easiest first. In the beginning, you need small victories! Also, make sure not to be too hard on yourself if you slip or have it once in awhile - it needs to be a lifestyle you can maintain permanently and if you always feel deprived - it won't last. Best of luck and Happy New Year!
  • JJLM
    JJLM Posts: 48
    Options
    thanks ladies! I love this site.
  • FletcherChic
    Options
    i would also quit fast food first...if you like to eat on the run/in the quiet of your car, pack a well balanced lunch....also - i think that when you give up your fast food, your soda intake might also decrease (yay!)
  • bbreault
    Options
    I will give you my expert advice on that considering before I got involved with this website I used to go out to eat for EVERY meal. I mean I never ate home. Cutting out or at least cutting down on going out to eat is probably the best thing i ever did to help. I mean I thought I was eating healthy by getting a salad or something but in reality you dont know whats in it or the calories, etc. Its tough but its the best advice from the Queen of Dining out
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    I agree on the eating out.

You'll be amazed at how much weight a person can lose just by cutting out this ONE habit.

Saves booku $$$$$ too.
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I'd say give up fast food. Fast food salads are often made with nothing but iceberg lettuce, which is about as nutritionally deficient as water. Of course, water is good for you for other reasons, but iceberg lettuce is a waste of the effort it takes to eat it (and it's gross, in my opinion :laugh: ). If you're going to eat out, look for places that serve real, green salads. You don't have to give up eating out altogether, just seek out healthier restaurants.

Oh, and lots of fit people drink coffee, so that would be my *last* suggestion for giving up, unless you load it with cream and sugar. (I still like mine with cream.) :bigsmile:
  • Jennnnnnnny
    Jennnnnnnny Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    i honestly would do soda first. its suprising if you think about it how many extra calories your gonna have without drinking soda.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    My vote is fast food. That stuff is POISON!!!! :sick:

Good luck whichever you choose! :flowerforyou:
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I cut out fast food. I thought about cutting going out to eat, but I still like to do that for the whole family. We like to sit around the table and talk, make an event out of it. The $$ issue was the reason we had to cut back, and I found that eating at a mid-range restaurant with the whole family isn't much more than McDonalds or Burger King.
    Soda's a great one to to drop first though. It's just empty calories. I tried diet soda but it didn't do it for me. I had to go cold turkey. I'm still working on it, but one day at a time.... Plus my skin is starting to get clearer.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

diet pop
    coffee
    candy
    going out to eat

I don't think you should "quit" any of them. I think you need to use them as occasional treats rather than staples of life. All of the above can be apprecated from time to time.

A better question is:

How can I :

Eat more fresh fruit and vegetables
    Drink more water
    Fit in more exercise
    Eat more whole grains
    Cook at home more often

for example. I guarantee that if you're drinking 8 glasses of water a day it will pretty much take care of the soda, coffee issue by bringing them to an acceptable level.

Also if you're going to "eat in peace" go to a nice peaceful pleasant restaurant and have someone serve you your oatmeal and fruit. Meet a friend and do it once a week as a reward to not driving through.