FUNNY THING ABOUT CARDIO MACHINES !

Options
SO HERE I AM DOING 30 MINS EVERYDAY ON MY ELIPTICAL AT HOME.. HOWEVER I WEIGH 229LBS NOW AND MY MACHINE SAYS IM ONLY BURNING 260 CALS IN 30 MINS N I AM REALLY PUSHIN MYSELF!! COULD I BE THAT THE MACHINE IS WRONG AS I DIDNT ENTER MY WEIGHT AND AGE?

Replies

• Awineburg
    Awineburg Posts: 196
    Options
    Yes.... Bigger people burn more calories because it takes more effort for them to do "things". I would enter in your age and weight to get a more accurate reading, or invest in a HRM :)
  • Mandie1117
    Mandie1117 Posts: 15
    Options
    Yes, it's a huge possibility that it is wrong. Unless you have the heart rate thing. I would suggest getting a heart rate monitor so you know what you're really burning.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Machines are generally incorrect because they do not factor in things like weight, height, age, etc. You might be better off going with what MFP says, but I would recommend an HRM for an even more accurate reading. :)
  • vanessadcampanelli
    Options
    WELL... i dont hvae the option of weight and age on my machine unfortunetly ... soo maybe investing in a HRM is good.. hwoever the machine has handles that say what my heart rate is at?
  • macjenkins
    macjenkins Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM and it shows that I burn between 500-700 cals in 35 mins on the Elliptical. Way above what the machine tells me I've burned.
  • seabuckaroo
    seabuckaroo Posts: 85
    Options
    Machines are all set up for a base weight of 150 lbs. Thus, you are burning probably twice what is says. Congrats!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that the machines base calories burned upon the formula of work = mass times distance. Without your weight, it will base your burn on a default weight setting. (probably around 150 lbs), I believe the age setting is to get you into certain cardio zones based upon your heart rate.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    If you want a more accurate measurement then you should get a monitor that tells you cals burned. That is more accurate than what the machine gives you.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    MFP are always well off with the amout of calories I burn using treadmills etc and the ones I use do measure heartrate and take age and weight into consideration. MFP has overestimated every time.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Ignore the calorie burn on the machines. It's very inaccurate. I've compared it to the reading on a heart rate monitor (with a chest strap) and I always burn more than the machine says. The reason is because the heart rate from the strap Vs the reading from your hands is always different. Plus, each machine is calibrated differently. HRM is the only true source! I find the logs in MFP match more closely to me for actual calorie burn (I've looked them up online and plugged in my height and weight for things like Power Yoga and Zumba and then when I log in MFP my workouts it's based on my findings).
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Didn't read everyone here.

Don't use machine numbers.

Buy an HRM with a cheststrap and use that instead. You'll be glad you did.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Funny. My HRM (with chest strap) always says I've burned 33% less than the machine estimates. I side with the HRM but the elliptical does make me feel better while I'm using it.
    :happy:
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Oh and at my old job I used to work with the Polar HRM people. They said the calorie burn reading from the hand sensors never matches the real burn--as told from the chest strap. I actually cover the calorie burn up on the machine with my iPhone or e-book reader because I know it's lower than I'm actually burning (when I tested it with the HRM I always burned more).
  • vanessadcampanelli
    Options
    well on MFP for 35 mins it says i burn 544 cals on the eliptical.. but i put what i c on the machine to not get TOO TOO HAPPY and slack off!! but ill be sure to buy a HRM soon to see the difference!! as i exhaust myself in 35 mins and see not too good of results!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Yes it is true I text-ed my sister-in-law she is a healthy runner 15 miles on open road or 7 miles on the beach daily I walked 60 min on the tread mill and burned 536 calories and she said you burned as much as I do on my 7 mile run
  • ZebraHead
    Options
    @Gossip - This journey streches well past your visible horizon. Don't panic, don't fret. Keep doing what you're doing. Eat better/cleaner/leaner. Work out. Learn everything you can about this new lifestyle.

Never give up, never surrender!!

We are all here for you to lean on.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    SO HERE I AM DOING 30 MINS EVERYDAY ON MY ELIPTICAL AT HOME.. HOWEVER I WEIGH 229LBS NOW AND MY MACHINE SAYS IM ONLY BURNING 260 CALS IN 30 MINS N I AM REALLY PUSHIN MYSELF!! COULD I BE THAT THE MACHINE IS WRONG AS I DIDNT ENTER MY WEIGHT AND AGE?

this.
  • vanessadcampanelli
    Options
    is 30 mins 6 days a week on the eliptical enough excercise?? or should i do more.... reminder: i am doing this at home
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Funny. My HRM (with chest strap) always says I've burned 33% less than the machine estimates. I side with the HRM but the elliptical does make me feel better while I'm using it.
    :happy:

I haven't graduated to the elliptical yet but do they give you the option to put in your weight I know tread mill are set for 150 pound male so you have to put in your weight So far my HRM and tread mill are pretty close
  • ZebraHead
    Options
    IMHO any exercise is good while in a calorie deficit to help fight against losing muscle mass.

Make sure you are eating right (and again IMHO eating back some/most of your workout calories).