Binging problem!

Options
Hi there, all!

I'm not particularly new to MPF, but I've never really participated in the community before.

So, I'm posting now because I have a big problem with binge-eating.

I will have a good day, then a bad day, then a binge day, and then swear to myself that it's only good days from now on. However, that hasn't worked out too well. I find myself hopelessly caught in the cycle.

It's been going on for nearly a month now and I've gained back the 15 lbs I lost. I feel super discouraged.

Does anyone else have experience with this cycle? If so, would you offer up some suggestions to help me move past the binging and get back on the wagon?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• clarabell943
    clarabell943 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a prone candidate for this! It sucks, I know! And I too am now reaching out to the MFP community for the same reason!

I don't have the answer for you! Sorry.
    Let me know if you find it.
  • RachnRal
    RachnRal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I find that when I binge or overeat it is usually in response to emotions that I don't want to feel. For example, I am temping right now at a job I used hold. Occasionally, someone will say something about how I am only temporary. I laugh it off but it really hurts. When I get home and have time to think, those painful feelings come up and I find myself eating to numb the pain or push away the thoughts. I have been trying to not respond to my feelings by eating. I am not always successful, but, I have been writing down what I am feeling, what I want to eat, how I think the eating will help or hurt me. Sometimes if I can acknowledge the pain/sadness/fear/etc, I am able to withstand the urge. Other times, I try to stop off at the library or take a walk to distract myself from the potential binge. I hope this helps. I can relate to the hopeless feelings after a binge. Best wishes and good luck.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I think RachnRal's suggestions are really good--especially doing something else when you get the urge to binge. I also find it helps not to think of things in terms of "days", but instead think in terms of moments. When you think in days it can be both overwhelming and too easy to let binges grow (e.g. "well today's already blown because I ate the bag of chips, may as well eat the pint of ice cream too"). Instead, think that I'm going to be healthy for this meal or snack. The other really important thing it to continue to log, even when you binge and even if you have to guess the amount after the fact. This has really helped me. Good luck!
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    First of all: always log everything, even the binges. If you are about to eat a lot of calories over your goal say "ok I am about to eat as much as I want to right now but I'm going to log every bit of it as accurately as I can"

Second of all: you've probably heard this one before, but when you do decide that you are going to eat far over your goals, slow down and savor every bit of it. This one can be hard, I understand that the desire is more "i just want to chew and swallow as much as possible" but just try it for the first thing you eat. Chew it slowly and try to enjoy it as much as you can. Like I said it's hard but once you eat the first piece of whatever like that it's much easier to eat the 2nd one that way and so on.

Third of all: it will get easier as you go on. My default response to negative emotions was "i just want to go eat a bunch of X". But now my mind is starting to change to where instead more often I feel "i just want to go for a walk, sit down and take a deep breath, brew a nice cup of tea, browse whatever website, etc". This doesn't happen overnight but you will change over time and noticing that this change is happening is satisfying in itself.

Fourth of all: you can also try drinking at least 8oz of water in between each thing. Say "I'm going to eat as much of these Hostess cakes as I want but I'm going to drink a glass of water in between" This of course helps you feel full faster and you'll lose the desire to keep eating sooner.

I've had a couple days since I started where I've just wanted to eat a lot of food and be like "haha f u myfitnesspal". So I did and I ate ~5000 calories that day. Then the next time it happened i only ate 3000. Do i look back on those days with guilt? No, I feel surprisingly neutral about them. It happened. Am I a worthless person now who can never get my eating/weight under control? No, look how much better I did on other days, and how many more chances I have in the future.
  • jlabrum16
    jlabrum16 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I suffer from this as well. I think I do it to numb my feelings and thoughts. If I've had a rough day, I use food as a way of "relaxing" although it doesn't actually relax me. When I know I've eaten more than i should, I get anxious and feel horrible but I usually keep eating. It's ridiculous to do when u think about it rationally but when u r in the moment it's hard to b rational.
    I like writing down your thoughts and how u r feeling. And trying to stop yourself before u get to the "just screw it" moment helps when u can do it. Being kind to yourself afterwards is important. Negative self talk won't do u any good.
    Good luck to u and let me know if u find something that helps!
  • holly745
    holly745 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    DuckReconMajor you had an awesome comment. I've been binging a lot lately but I've noticed if I do use those tactics I can help stop a binge.

Another thing for me is pressure. Some people eat to mask emotions, I eat when I feel like I'm under pressure. It almost always causes a binge. Whether it be pressure to maintain my 'good diet for the day' or whatever it really impacts me and makes me feel defeated before I begin. I'm getting married in October and I have lost 8 out of my goal of 15 lbs but once I slipped off the wagon it's been so hard to get back on. I totally agree you have to force yourself not to think in terms of days, or even weeks like I do.
    I've been trying to force myself to start over IN THAT MOMENT. I haven't worked out all week but instead of slipping into 'I'll just start Monday' I forced myself to work out today and I do feel better. Another thing that has really helped me with binging is realizing that while I might say tomorrow's a new day, I still have to deal with those calories tomorrow. They don't just dissappear at the start of a new day, and each cookie or whatever is another 200 calories I'm going to have to deal with tomorrow. It truly is a mindset change, I think it's honestly something we will struggle with the rest of our lives- but only struggle with, NOT be defeated by it!
  • messiahs
    messiahs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This sounds just like how I used to do things.

If you have control over what is bought in the household, then just don't buy it. Eat before you go shopping so you're full and aren't tempted to things you love, and never step outside with intents on going to the store to get the junk food you're craving. Sleep, if the cravings come during the evenings. Drink lots of water. Chew a bit of gum. Just don't think about it. Read a book, keep your hands busy, etc, etc, etc. I find I desire popcorn, chips, cookies, icecream, etc the most when sitting down with plans to watch a movie, but I only get halfway through the movie and don't pay attention because I'm eating, and I finish eating before it's over, and I want more because it's not over... etc, it's a cycle.

Keep the things you binge on away from you. If you binge on say, popcorn, don't buy it anymore, or buy kernels so you have to go through the process of making the popcorn, slathering that butter and salt on it, and have time to think about your portions and the food itself before you can binge. I've found thinking about it this way helps: yesterday was a good day, so why can't today be a good day too? What's stopping me from working out? And so on and so forth. Don't trip on your bad days, either, because they'll always happen; you can't be perfect.

Good luck!