Protein powder

LaurenxxNicole
LaurenxxNicole Posts: 6 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi! I'm 7 months post partum and just started dieting/ exercising 3 weeks ago. I started out at 167lbs, down to 161lbs today. I wouldn't say I'm overweight but my goal is to shed a few more pounds and tone up. Is it really necessary for me to drink protein powder or supplements in order for me to get more defined muscles or can I accomplish that by simply working out and eating healthy? I've been keeping my calories under 1,500 and working out 5 days/ week.

Still pretty new to this whole fitness thing so a little insight would be helpful.

Thanks,
Lauren

Replies

• keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Protein supplementation is really only necessary if you aren't getting enough in your regular diet. I've heard anywhere from 100g to 150g a day for women is sufficient.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I personally hate protein powders.... I would rather eat my protein than drink it for more calories that isn't filing for me. I bought some at the beginning of my weight loss journey in February because I thought it was necessary. Now I only drink it after I have an INTENSE workout just because I'm cheap and I don't want to throw it away.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Protein supplementation is really only necessary if you aren't getting enough in your regular diet. I've heard anywhere from 100g to 150g a day for women is sufficient.

You don't need protein powder to get 'defined muscles'. Protein supplements are there if you have a hard time getting your protein in or simply for convenience (it's easier to drink calories than munch a chicken breast sometimes).

For now OP, you don't need to worry getting a protein powder. I don't even think they taste that nice, I'd prefer to get my protein from actual food like chicken breasts or tuna etc.
  • LaurenxxNicole
    LaurenxxNicole Posts: 6 Member
    Okay, thank you guys! :)
  • QueenKristine77
    QueenKristine77 Posts: 67 Member
    I used to drink protein shakes all the time but i found other ways to get my protein like chicken, fish, etc. I really like to eat my food
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    I used to drink protein shakes all the time but i found other ways to get my protein like chicken, fish, etc. I really like to eat my food

Me too, now i have quite a few tubs of protein powders that just sit there as i rather eat my protein.