Cooking with Spenda

Options
KBrenOH
KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
correction, Cooking with Splenda, not spenda lol.

I'm making fudge today for a family grill out tomorrow. I thought about swapping out the 3 cups of Sugar with Splenda to try and lessen the calories but I've never cooked with Spenda before.

I know it says it's as good as using regular sugar but is it really? If so.. I forsee myself making a lot more recipes that I haven't been due to the sugar usage in them.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• syates83
    syates83 Posts: 87
    Options
    I honestly can't taste the difference...and my husband who is skinny but eats everything in sight agreed it tasted good too. Go for it!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love splenda. I say go for it!
  • MasterSpater
    MasterSpater Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Fudge is heavily dependent on the crystalline structure of sugar to give it that velvety smoothness.

When it comes to using sugar as a sweetener, yes, replace it with splenda. In this case it's used more as a structural agent.
  • MasterSpater
    Options
    For all of the science behind fudge, I recommend watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue2EIcmOcMk
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I don't know about "taste" but real sugar is far better for your body than Splenda is. If all you are worried about is calories then go for it, if you care about your overall health and well being. Stay far away from anything unnatural.
  • Growe190
    Growe190 Posts: 18
    Options
    I tried it for the 1st time last week. I made bread & butter Jalepenos. They turned out great no problem with the flavor. The only problem I can think of is the bulk, sugar is a lot bulkier than splenda, so the flavor should be close, but it will probably not make as much. If you do it please post the results, I am very interested, I make a lot of fudge over the holidays.
  • KBrenOH
    Options
    Well some of you kind of answered my other question as to whether Splenda was even good for you. Does that apply to Equal and Sweet and Low as well (about it being bad for you)?
  • MasterSpater
    Options
    I find a lot of the Splenda hate to be grossly misguided.

Research has shown artificial sweeteners to cause adverse effects in mice, but only after the subject had been exposed to hundreds if not thousands of times the anticipated daily intake. So like anything, too much of it is bad for you.
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Well some of you kind of answered my other question as to whether Splenda was even good for you. Does that apply to Equal and Sweet and Low as well (about it being bad for you)?

Each of these products are artificial chemicals. After doing mass amounts of research lab rat links are inconclusive as it is a debate across the world whether the size of a lab rat can be compared to a human. however, each have directly caused cancer within those rats. take it as you will.

ALSO! just so you are aware, Splenda is a 2 part chemical. 1 part acidic value, 1 part formaldehyde. yeah. thats real. It is then processed and washed through pure chlorine. This all is ingested into your body every time you use it. Mixing a single packet with let's say 32 oz of tea, not that huge of a deal if you don't mind inserting that type of chemical mixture in your body. However, cups upon cups of it in baking ... is something entirely different.

so really its just a matter of what you want.

I have switched to 2 types of sweeteners, Blue Agave and Stevia (Truvia) as well as just plain old sugar.

by the way this all started when i was looking for a healthy non chemical water mix like crystal light. LOL amazing what you learn.

Sweet N low is aspartame, and Equal is also a mixture of Aspartame and Sucralose. same as Splenda. the drink mix Mio uses a different type of sweetener that actually relates directly to brain malfuntions migraines and cancerous cells in HUMANS.
  • KBrenOH
    Options
    So Mi0 is bad for you too?? CRAP - I love that stuff and it's so freaking easy to use.

Thanks for the names of two other types of sweetners I could use!