When to weigh yourself

Options
How often do you weigh yourself? Also, do you weigh yourself the minute your feet hit the ground in the morning or right before bedtime?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Every day. First or second thing in the morning.
  • shakeirawhitney
    shakeirawhitney Posts: 74 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Every day ,First thing after I use the bathroom. I know many people don't weigh everyday but it helps me to stay on track.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Doesn't particularly matter.

Understand your weight isn't one constant number - it's a range. You might weigh 160 first thing in the morning. Then you eat and weigh 162. Then you use the restroom and weigh 159. Then you go for a run and weigh 158. Then you eat a quart of ice cream and weigh 161. All in the course of a few hours.

So no matter when or how often you weigh, don't focus on the number itself, or individual fluctuations between readings. Because there's far too many variables to account for.

Instead, focus on the long-term trend. Is that "range" trending up, down, or staying the same?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    1. Get out of bed
    2. Pee
    3. Weigh
    4. Feed the cat (who is surprised and upset EVERY SINGLE DAY that #4 isn't #2)

That's what I do. You should weigh yourself when you feel like it. :)
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    In the morning, when my stomach is empty. Only on Saturdays simply because it is the only day I get to sleep in and take my time getting ready (other days I am wranging young children).

Pick a time and be consistent.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Weigh and log daily in the morning after business and before breakfast. Bedtime weighing has more variability for me.

Daily weighing is better for me because I like the data and I focus on the trendline. If you get bothered by day-to-day fluctuations you may prefer a weekly weighing. Generally I wouldn't go longer than a week, however.
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    1. Get out of bed
    2. Pee
    3. Weigh
    4. Feed the cat (who is surprised and upset EVERY SINGLE DAY that #4 isn't #2)

That's what I do. You should weigh yourself when you feel like it. :)

Ha! This exactly (right down to the cat - my little one seems to think he should be eating at 4 AM lately, though.)

I think it's totally up to you, it's just a matter of being consistent; otherwise, that fluctuating number will drive you insane.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Daily weighing is better for me because I like the data and I focus on the trendline. If you get bothered by day-to-day fluctuations you may prefer a weekly weighing. Generally I wouldn't go longer than a week, however.

yup this

wake up, pee, run, weigh, shower
  • dmpolansky
    dmpolansky Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Ok. I was weighing myself both in the morning & at night. There were some fluctuations. So, does everyone record their weight on here daily?
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Every Thursday morning.
  • c1aireee
    c1aireee Posts: 297 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I weigh once a week
  • DennyB1964
    DennyB1964 Posts: 31 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I weigh every day, first thing in the morning (well, second or third - I go to the bathroom before).

I know a lot of people think it's not good to weigh every day, but it's an individual thing. For me, it's better for my head because I see the fluctuations and know that's normal. If I saw it went up during a once a week weigh, it would suck. Plus, it keeps it fresh in my head that this is what I'm working for.

As far as weighing later in the day - I just don't see the point. There are so many variables thrown into the mix - water you drank, how much food you ate, how recently you ate, how much you sweat, even whether or not you pooped - that it's going to be a useless number.
  • Sindakhelekwen
    Sindakhelekwen Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning right after I use the bathroom.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i weigh and log once a week.

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I only weigh/log once a week under the exact same conditions and only when there's a loss. I don't log if I gained or maintained.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I may jump on the scale every day but I only log once a week.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day but pay most attention to my weekly trends. The problem I've had in the past with only weighing once a week is that if on "weigh-in day" I am retaining water that day it looks like I haven't made any progress that week. Weighing every day helps me understand my fluctuations.
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My weigh day is Wednesday but I do step on the scales in between out of curiosity. This Tuesday I was set to lose 2 lb but the following morning only 1 lb! That's the way it goes I guess! Still happy as my goal is 1 lb a week and I have lost 6 lbs in 3 weeks so far
  • sarkrisd
    sarkrisd Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning, but I only log it once a week, either Sunday or Monday. I log whether I lose or not, if only to see if a trend is happening or not.