Ash_76
Ash_76 Posts: 186 Member
are there any foods should i be avoiding whilst dieting that may cause a flare

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-3_fatty_acid
    As for what to eat, add foods with Omega 3: sardines, salmon, walnuts, flax seeds, . .
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's very individual - what causes a flare for one may be perfectly fine for another. If it were me, I would go on an major elimination diet for a little bit, and keep a food journal, and track how things go, symptom-wise. One basic elimination diet I've see is rice, turkey, pears, and sweet potato (with not even an oil, at first).

And if things improve, slowly introducing a food at a time, cycling through food groups so you add a different food group each time.

I've known a number of folks with RA that have had significant improvement when they found which foods were a problem. One gentleman was in a wheelchair, the swelling and pain were so bad. He did this sort of diet, and a few years later, he ran in a marathon. Slowly, but he ran.

His foods were things like wine, chocolate, and then a few random ones you just never hear anyone complain about, like carrots.

Although to start with, a few foods that I have been hearing more folks with autoimmune disorders say make their symptoms flare are gluten, dairy, soy, nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant), legumes, corn, and/or all grains. Doesn't mean these affect everyone, but I've hear those foods mentioned most as potentially problematic in the community. Wine, coffee, and chocolate are also commonly mentioned, but that seems more likely to happen for those who also have gut issues.
  • htg20
    htg20 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    One resource I use for health information is drweil.com
  • Anna334
    Anna334 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When I decreased sugars and went gluten free my inflammation markers went down and I had considerably less all over body pain.
  • melanie899
    melanie899 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Anna334 wrote: »
    When I decreased sugars and went gluten free my inflammation markers went down and I had considerably less all over body pain.

I'd have to agree with this. I did the same and my flares have been decreased and they don't seem to last as long.